10lb trigger pull question?

Are all new handguns in Ma. a 10lb pull or just some? When did this go into effect? Will the trigger lighten with use, if so how many rounds?

Not all firearms. New ones with manual safety's don't need it. DA/SA type only need it on DA trigger pull. Keep in mind that these laws only apply to what a dealer can sell you, not what you can buy.

It would be cheaper to get the trigger job then it would be to try and shoot it smoother.

Are all new handguns in Ma. a 10lb pull or just some? When did this go into effect? Will the trigger lighten with use, if so how many rounds?

Here's the specific regulation:

16.05: Sale of Handguns Without Childproofing

(1) It shall be an unfair or deceptive practice to sell a handgun without a safety device in violation of M.G.L. c. 140, § 131K.

(2) It shall be an unfair or deceptive practice for a handgun-purveyor to transfer or offer to transfer to any customer located within the Commonwealth any handgun which does not contain a mechanism which effectively precludes an average five year old child from operating the handgun when it is ready to fire; such mechanisms shall include, but are not limited to: raising trigger resistance to at least a ten pound pull, altering the firing mechanism so that an average five year old child's hands are too small to operate the handgun, or requiring a series of multiple motions in order to fire the handgun.

(3) It shall be an unfair or deceptive practice for a handgun-purveyor to transfer or offer to transfer to any customer located within the Commonwealth any handgun which does not contain a load indicator or magazine safety disconnect.

(4) 940 CMR 16.05(2) shall not apply to handguns which have a hammer deactivation device. 940 CMR 16.05(3) applies only to handguns that have a mechanism to load cartridges via a magazin

And no, not all new handguns have a 10 pound pull. Some have a 14 pound pull, or even higher [wink].

Double action on my 92 measured 12...

The M&P was about as bad and has no single action mode...

If you own an M&P in MA without a trigger job, you are in need of a trigger job...

It's just that simple... It might get a little lighter, but you will enjoy the gun infinitely more if you cut the pull in half (and you will be more accurate)

Do it... $65-100 depending on where you go...

Geez, this is a public safety issue... All these people running around with heavy triggers dropping rounds off target... "There oughta be a law"TM [wink]

Last edited:
Geez, this is a public safety issue... All these people running around with heavy triggers dropping rounds off target... "There oughta be a law"TM [wink]

Well you laugh, but you're spot on. It's sort of like trying to cut something with a dull knife - it's dangerous. A too heavy trigger makes it virtually impossible to properly squeeze the trigger while maintaining sight alignment and a proper grip. These guns are in fact more dangerous.

Shot the range M&P 9c at S&W, a well used weapon with thousands of rounds through it.

I would guess the trigger is about a 7-8 lb pull, down from a 10lb trigger when new.

I think I shot the same gun. I was surprise it was nowhere near as hard a pull as my sigma.

take your gun to a competent gunsmith - for less than $100 you can get it set to any trigger pull you'd like. Try Mike La Rocca, Greg Derr, or Dave Santurri.

The M&P trigger sucks, with or without the trigger job.. (of course this is just my opinion, and may not be fact)

The M&P trigger sucks, with or without the trigger job.. (of course this is just my opinion, and may not be fact)

You may be going to the wrong gun smith!

My gun smith is Greg Derr of DerrPrecision.com. Greg is a dealer here, and posts frequently on this site.

from best to worst (IMO) double action / safe action / striker fired pistols

1. XD - reset is clear, audible and predictable. reset is short too [smile] a crisp 4 to 4.5 #

3. Para O LDA - only because of the long reset, but otherwise, it's a light (long) pull

5. Glock - the middle ground, a couple bucks on a 3.5# connector makes it 30 to 35% better (IMO)

7. M&P - a "good" one will around 8 to 10# out of the box... they do smooth out / you get used to them. but some of them are tuff cookies to crack.

10. SIGMA - [shocked] MAN, does that trigger suck! *outside of MILSPEC M9 on the first pull [laugh]

from best to worst (IMO) double action / safe action / striker fired pistols

1. XD - reset is clear, audible and predictable. reset is short too [smile] a crisp 4 to 4.5 #

3. Para O LDA - only because of the long reset, but otherwise, it's a light (long) pull

5. Glock - the middle ground, a couple bucks on a 3.5# connector makes it 30 to 35% better (IMO)

7. M&P - a "good" one will around 8 to 10# out of the box... they do smooth out / you get used to them. but some of them are tuff cookies to crack.

10. SIGMA - [shocked] MAN, does that trigger suck! *outside of MILSPEC M9 on the first pull [laugh]

I have to 2nd the xD being the best out of the box trigger! I love my xDs triggers!

I stick with glocks seeing it is so so easy to strip the whole gun and do the trigger job yourself. But if you have to just take it to a Glock smith and have him do the trigger job!

This is so stupid and actually makes for more unsafe handguns. It's hard to accurately place rounds into an engaging, moving target in a stressful situation with such heavy pulls!

10-14 pound pulls!?!? What the FACK?!

This is so stupid and actually makes for more unsafe handguns. It's hard to accurately place rounds into an engaging, moving target in a stressful situation with such heavy pulls!

10-14 pound pulls!?!? What the FACK?!

You aren't supposed to do this!

The AG is on record as saying "we do not encourage self-help". You are supposed to dial 911 and die!! That's the official position of our chief lawyer in the state.

I stick with glocks seeing it is so so easy to strip the whole gun and do the trigger job yourself.

+1

I had a MA M&P 40c and hated the trigger. Ended up selling it and getting a 30sf, put the ny-1 spring, and 3.5# connector in about 15 minutes and love it. New 27 on the way soon which I'll do the same with as well.

+1

I had a MA M&P 40c and hated the trigger. Ended up selling it and getting a 30sf, put the ny-1 spring, and 3.5# connector in about 15 minutes and love it. New 27 on the way soon which I'll do the same with as well.

correct me if i'm wrong, but you are kinda pissing in the wind; as "they" say

you took a Glock, put a 8.5# trigger on it and then reduced it by 3.5#?

= 5#

right?

or did you put that heavier NY trigger spring in it?

*note: not trying to flame you, just curious as to what you exact goal was (is)

Putting a NY-1 in with a 3.5 polished connector will give you about a 6# pull.
It does seem like pissing in the wind, however there's less sloppiness in the trigger than the standard 5.5# spring alone. Lots of guys do this for carry weapons.....

I figured it can be done in 15 minutes of my time and 12 dollars worth of parts......and if I didn't like it I simply change it back. I think it improved the trigger a lot though, I like it, although I wasn't so sure at first.

If you'd like to try it let me know, I bought a few NY-1's and I have them lying around, I'll send one to you, the more expensive part is the connector however which can be bought of glockmeister or lone wolf.

Last edited:
It does seem like pissing in the wind, however there's less sloppiness in the trigger than the standard 5.5# spring alone. Lots of guys do this for carry weapons.....

I figured it can be done in 15 minutes of my time and 12 dollars worth of parts......and if I didn't like it I simply change it back. I think it improved the trigger a lot though, I like it, although I wasn't so sure at first.

If you'd like to try it let me know, I bought a few NY-1's and I have them lying around, I'll send one to you, the more expensive part is the connector however which can be bought of glockmeister or lone wolf.

By adding the NY trigger spring with the 3.5 connector it will give you a nice smooth 5lb trigger pull, I think that was the goal he was looking for! I add a 3.5 on my glocks with a Comp spring and the take up is sloopy with a lot of creep. Been thinking of adding the NY trigger spring myself to take all the creep out of the trigger.

[shocked] i see. thanks for the info.

i've honestly never heard of that. but i see the logic [smile]

funny, my glock is soooooo cherry. the total round count is around 700. so the trigger is not even broken in.

i swapped out the standard (serrated) trigger for a G22 "smooth" trigger and put night sights on... that's as far as i went.

i'd like to try this and see. sounds like fun.

Sorry to raise this old thread again. Ok, so I heard about this excessive trigger pull requirement last week and since I live in the fk'd up state of MA I needed to ask the knowledgeable folks here. I have a G21 that was manufactured in '96, but it wasn't registered in this state until recently as I only purchased it say 2 months ago. I take it I have to get this trigger job done in order for me to legally use it against an intruder in my home if the need arises? I'm not keen on going to jail because some scumbag decided to rifle through my house or steal my property, but it seems the politicians here are more concerned about their criminals then their law abiding citizens. I do take great strides to safely store my firearms, as they're in a locked room, in a lock box, with locks on them. If my 2 year old boy can circumvent the safety measures I make, then I'm a complete moron. So, back to my original question, will I have to "10 lb." my trigger? Man, I can't stand this state! [angry]

Sorry to raise this old thread again. Ok, so I heard about this excessive trigger pull requirement last week and since I live in the fk'd up state of MA I needed to ask the knowledgeable folks here. I have a G21 that was manufactured in '96, but it wasn't registered in this state until recently as I only purchased it say 2 months ago. I take it I have to get this trigger job done in order for me to legally use it against an intruder in my home if the need arises? I'm not keen on going to jail because some scumbag decided to rifle through my house or steal my property, but it seems the politicians here are more concerned about their criminals then their law abiding citizens. I do take great strides to safely store my firearms, as they're in a locked room, in a lock box, with locks on them. If my 2 year old boy can circumvent the safety measures I make, then I'm a complete moron. So, back to my original question, will I have to "10 lb." my trigger? Man, I can't stand this state! [angry]

No you don't have to do anything to your trigger. The law only pertains to what a dealer can sell, not what you can own. Leave it as is and you are fine.

ETA: The pertinent section of the law:

(2) It shall be an unfair or deceptive practice for a handgun-purveyor (the dealer not you) to transfer or offer to transfer to any customer located within the Commonwealth any handgun which does not contain a mechanism which effectively precludes an average five year old child from operating the handgun when it is ready to fire; such mechanisms shall include, but are not limited to: raising trigger resistance to at least a ten pound pull, altering the firing mechanism so that an average five year old child's hands are too small to operate the handgun, or requiring a series of multiple motions in order to fire the handgun.

Last edited:

You're making a bigger deal out of it than it actually is. You can legally have whatever trigger pull weight you want without legal repercussions.

The whole 10 pound pull thing is a DEALER SALES REGULATION ONLY imposed by the AG's office against certain types of new handguns being sold in MA. Gun owners in MA can safely ignore it.

You may want to read this.... or at least skim through it.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=37553

-Mike

Last edited:

Deep breaths. Take a pill. Then re-read this thread closely. The regulations govern what dealers can sell, not what you can possess.

Back
Top Bottom