“Not processing new applications”

My local PD said they are currently “only processing renewals, but not new applications for FID/LTC”. I live in Massachusetts. Can they do this? If so, for how long?

My local PD said they are currently “only processing renewals, but not new applications for FID/LTC”. I live in Massachusetts. Can they do this? If so, for how long?
If you just moved here with firearms, you get 60 days to apply for a license. Contact an attorney. You do not want to be in violation even though it is not your fault.

Thank you for the reply, it’s Belchertown. They said 2 weeks ago to “try back in a couple of weeks”. Today they’re saying “[They] don’t know” “they’re waiting on the town” and “try back in a few weeks”

Thank you for the reply, it’s Belchertown. They said 2 weeks ago to “try back in a couple of weeks”. Today they’re saying “[They] don’t know” “they’re waiting on the town” and “try back in a few weeks”

"a right delayed is a right denied".

With regard to gun laws and personal liberty -
Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, Illinois, California and Maryland seem to be in a contest to see who can give more liberties to criminals and fck over the law abiding citizens in their state more.'

EDIT - Honorable mention to Connecticut and Rhode Island.

Last edited:

See the link crackpot posted above with guidance from GOAL. Your other legal option is to submit your application to the Mass State Police.

Thank you all, I emailed Comm2a, I will try GOAL as well. I’d rather not go the MSP route as I’m sure it’ll be “filed” until they’re good and ready to look at it which will most likely not serve any useful purpose in its time. I appreciate all the replies, and sadly I don’t disagree with any of them. Thanks again.

Went to the Fall River PD on Thursday to get some fingerprints for an NFA SBR submission. Line was 10 deep for new licenses and renewals. Another guy said it was busier on Tuesday. As an aside, on the FRPD website for licensing, it now states they only provide unrestricted LTC's. New Chief, new policy. When I got mine back in 2013, it was restricted for 1st time licensees unless you could show need. So to OP, definitely depends on the town and the Chief of Police.

Twigg, you really don't want a bunch maaaasholes up there.
Next thing you know they'll be saying things like "I'm a gun owner..But I don't....".
You can't fix what has been brain washed in some of our minds as the new normal.[rofl2]

I used to live in Belchertown, nice farming/country lifestyle out that way.
I'm surprised that they are doing that.
I would have loved to touch off a few rounds into the wood pile, down in the ditch on our property when we lived there as kids.

Last edited:
Went to the Fall River PD on Thursday to get some fingerprints for an NFA SBR submission. Line was 10 deep for new licenses and renewals. Another guy said it was busier on Tuesday. As an aside, on the FRPD website for licensing, it now states they only provide unrestricted LTC's. New Chief, new policy. When I got mine back in 2013, it was restricted for 1st time licensees unless you could show need. So to OP, definitely depends on the town and the Chief of Police.
That's amazing!!!

Something tells me that when the Colonel of the MSP gets a shit ton of apps, suddenly the towns will start processing again.
I think that's kinda the point

Beyond Comm 2A and GOAL you could try the selectman. That’s free so cheaper than an attorney

You could also file a civil rights complaint with the Attorney Generals office. It won’t help but it might give you some comic relief and annoy the AG’s office so it’s a double win in that respect.

Bob

The answer should be F*CK NO.

But this is MA. Shows you how much the CLEO cares about you. Think about that next time you want to donate money, or buy them a coffee or hang a flag with a blue line.

Something tells me that when the Colonel of the MSP gets a shit ton of apps, suddenly the towns will start processing again.
Having worked in the system as well as seen how some other PDs react to MSP, you (and GOAL) are absolutely wrong here. MSP does not play well with municipal PDs. They can't order a chief to do anything. There is a lot of friction between MSP and municipal police officers in general. Each has their "turf" and does not appreciate interference by the other agency.

Thank you all, I emailed Comm2a, I will try GOAL as well. I’d rather not go the MSP route as I’m sure it’ll be “filed” until they’re good and ready to look at it which will most likely not serve any useful purpose in its time. I appreciate all the replies, and sadly I don’t disagree with any of them. Thanks again.
So what if it gets filed?

If they do nothing, cancel the check and go to your local PD when the chief decides to stop being an a**hole.

It seems your answer and question came at almost the same time.

A few things here, yes Belchertown was once a nice rural farm town, however because of proximity to Northampton, Amherst, and UMass, the Lib has spread like they told us the COVID would have if it weren’t what it actually is. So here we are.

As far as the “filed” comment meant, I really meant “forgotten”.

This really sounds like I have no recourse to what I see as “a right delayed is a right denied” as posted above.

This really sounds like I have no recourse to what I see as “a right delayed is a right denied” as posted above.

Who said this, since you have it in quotes?

Be careful now, I know it is easier to keep repeating, without knowing from whence it came, but it makes people feel good to quote it.

Thanks

Who said this, since you have it in quotes?

Be careful now, I know it is easier to keep repeating, without knowing from whence it came, but it makes people feel good to quote it.

Thanks

appropriate day to quote this

A few things here, yes Belchertown was once a nice rural farm town, however because of proximity to Northampton, Amherst, and UMass, the Lib has spread like they told us the COVID would have if it weren’t what it actually is. So here we are.

As far as the “filed” comment meant, I really meant “forgotten”.

Back
Top Bottom