• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Yugo 59/66 modification

Mossy Oak

Banned
I have a friend who owns a Yugo 59/66. He would like to have the bayonet and launcher sight removed by a professional for a fee.

The ultimate goal is to have an SKS with a sturdy, accurate scope setup, with a folding bipod accessory added

In this individuals opinion, the bayonet and launcher sight are useless given the goals of this project.

These are easy alterations and all the info can be found here: http://surplusrifle.com/sks/index.asp

Note that the best scope set up for an SKS is the Choate drill and tap mount. If your friend isn't comfortable doing the bayonet and launcher site removal by himself, he'll need a smith for the Choate mount too.
Zero Hour could do the job if they're not booked up with work.

Does doing this have 922(r) implications?

I'm not in the know with what you just said. I imagine it has something to do with the legality of altering a firearm? Is this a federal or state thing? And are you guys really sure it's ok to do? I wouldn't want to end up Bubba's roommate for a simple modificiation.

I'm not in the know with what you just said. I imagine it has something to do with the legality of altering a firearm? Is this a federal or state thing? And are you guys really sure it's ok to do? I wouldn't want to end up Bubba's roommate for a simple modificiation.

This area of law is clear as mud to me. I wish Scrivener was around to roast me for this response. Hopefully jdubois will show up soon. All I know is that I'm confused about 922R with respect to SKS's and I'm not the only one.

sks stock question

SKS sights

SKS 922R

sks removable magazine

My initial response was meant more as an additional question than an answer. Hopefully someone will be along soon to explain it.

There "may" be 922(r) implications. No one on the SKS boards is really sure. There are different letters from the BATF asking for clarifications that are in direct contradiction. See the this FAQ

What I want to do:

#1 Remove the bayonet.

#2 Remove the grenade launcher sight.

#3 Leave the end of the barrel ("grenade launcher") intact. I like the look.

#4 Have a Choate scope setup installed.

#5 Have a bipod which is sturdy and removable.

[angry] Why does this have to be so difficult to ensure I'm in compliance!!!!!

Last edited:
In my opinion I'd go for it, but thats just my opinion.

I have a Norinco thats been altered by the importer due to the rifle being caught up in importation during the AWB ban. The bayonet lug was ground down by the importer.[rolleyes]

If you want to really be sure, do what the good doobies on the SKS forums do and write the ATF with specific questions asking if what you want to do is legal. You'll get a reply in writing with a definite answer that can be used in defense if you ever become that one person out of a hundred thousand that actually get prosecuted for the bullshit 922(r) law.

FWIW this thread is now heading into one that belongs in the laws section. Myself I'd move it but I'm more of a guard dog checking for mentioning of distributor names.[smile]

Looking for a good gunsmith who can install the Choate scope setup with excellence.

Any recommendations?

Also, instead of like a hunting scope like a Nikon or Leupold, I want to put something shorter but still good quality on my SKS. Something to give it that vintage Russian sniper look. Any scope recommendations?

HELP ME DECIDE!!!

[smile]

My understanding of the laws (it's been about five years since I researched them to buy mine) is that once you modify it loses its C&R status and is now subject to the imported weapons regulations and the state assault weapons ban.

However I had seen documentation from the ATF stating that they were fine with removal of the bayonet and grenade launcher when at target matches.

I would like to think that in a courtroom you could successfully argue for the removal of the grenade launcher (especially if you weld on a brake) and the bayonet, even if it is in a state that is technically in violation of the law. As others have mentioned it gets fuzzy as the ATF has provided interpretations that are in contradiction to the law if I recall correctly.

I would like to think that in a courtroom you could successfully argue.....

I don't think I'd want it to get to that point ! A simple letter to the BATF, like suggested earlier, saves you a lot of potential pain and $$$$$$.

regards....roger

Alternatively you can get a compliance kit from Tapco that will replace enough foreign parts with domestic parts to make it exempt from 922(r). The kits are like 150 bucks.

The stock included in the kit looks like it's collapsible and thus they won't ship to MA - I would ship it to a buddy out of state, pin and JB Weld it, then put it on. Either that or source enough parts to ensure there are only 10 foreign parts.

ETA - with that kit you will have to have a gunsmith pin and solder the brake as you will have a pistol grip and detachable mag.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom