• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thoughts on the Yugo M59/66 SKS?

If you want an sks, skip the Yugo. Look at a nice condition Chinese and a Russian . The Yugos are covered in cosmo and still imported. The other 2 you can find clean and are no longer imported. Spend the extra 100 or so.
I don't find any problem with cosmo at all. I've purchased 3 rifles in cosmo.......field strip.......boiling water in rubbermade bins and dump all the metal parts in the bin......cosmo floats to the top.......remove the parts and clean with clp. Wood parts......hair dryer and rags. Total time from cosmo to clean and ready to shoot is max 1 hour.

My Early Chinese took longer than an hour for the cosmo. I cleaned everything then took a heat gun on low (Carefully) and you saw the cosmo come through the wood, after the few times I let the wood sit as I didn't want to warp it or damage it and finished it the next day, so the 4th time I still was able to get some oil to come through the wood and that was it. Sanded and stain/poly a few coats and rubbing in between with a 0000 steel wool.
Before and after

Attachments

• 11218224_472359119608138_7521851513020722205_n.jpg
    11218224_472359119608138_7521851513020722205_n.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 11111.jpg
    11111.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1257.JPG
    IMG_1257.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1260.JPG
    IMG_1260.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 25
I let my T53 sit out in the sun for a few hours and wiped it off here and there. Done deal. Well sort of...she still sweats sticky a little when i'm unloading surplus at less than $.20 a round through her...but i like them sweaty.

Fedex shows expected delivery tomorrow. I'll be going full hermit mode to make sure I catch them.
You better be sitting on your front porch. Work owed me a day so I took it when I was expecting a c&r delivery. Heard the knock on the door, walked maybe 15-20 feet from my kitchen to the front door and FedEx guy was already a couple steps from being back in his truck. I said wtf and he replied that no one is ever home for these so i dont wait around. Literally knocked and turned around and went back to the truck.

I used mineral spirits to clean the cosmo off my SKS, worked fine. For the stock I wrapped it in paper towels, threw it in a black trash bag and then into a hot car with the windows up, and repeated a few times wiping off the "sweat" each time.

Regarding FedEx, I had a C&R held at a Walgreens for pickup after work once. I bet the c.16 year old girl getting the package out back didn't know what she had...

Yeah...basically 50% of the time. I was told it could have something to do with my secret clearance, but i'm not sure if that has any teeth.

I call BS on that, I've had a TS clearance since ~2001 and never had a delay.

I got delayed :( looks nice though but coated in commie slime.

Matt did you get any accessories?

Narrow leather sling, oiler with pouch, brush, jag, pull through cleaning rope (which isn't threaded, not sure how to use this), tool case/tube that fits into the buttstock, twin leather carry pouch, punch, and some Slavic language document with a 2006 date stamp.

Last edited:
yes it is, it shoots very good also. Most accurate x39 I have shot so far. I might run the next modern military match with some?

What extent of takedown and cleaning is needed to get the salt residue out to stave off corrosion?

Used to just hot water on a bolt action which is not too bad. Haven't used corrosive surplus on Gas operated but thinking to try some.

What extent of takedown and cleaning is needed to get the salt residue out to stave off corrosion?

Used to just hot water on a bolt action which is not too bad. Haven't used corrosive surplus on Gas operated but thinking to try some.
When I was shooting this stuff A lot we would dump 1000 rounds plus....ahh the days when range time was only regulated by available day light. Then we would detail strip and clean with warm soapy water.

I'm afraid pics may be delayed. I was in Georgia for some job training and managed to drop my camera into the Chattahoochee river during one of my free evenings. I'm currently drying my camera in my homemade desiccator and cautiously optimistic that it will live again, but it will be over a week before I even take it out and start testing it.

Took my SKS to the range this weekend. Everything worked fine, was shooting surplus Yugo M67 ammo. I have to admit I did not shoot nearly as well with it as I had hoped and was struggling to get into the black and consistently group for sight in at 100 yards. I find the ladder sights to be much more difficult than my aperture sighted rifles. The combination of a very far forward, notched sight made acquiring a consistent sight picture slow and difficult. I experienced eye fatigue and mental focusing problems more quickly and severely than normal. I may end up buying the Tech Sights made for the SKS, but am reluctant to change the original configuration. I'll keep working on it, but will likely cave if I don't make any real progress soon.

Besides the sights, I am very pleased with the rifle I received.

Wasn't crazy about the tech sights and switched them back. I've seen AK sights with an aperture rather than a notch and would like to try those. I think the tech sights were too far back for me, too close to the eye or something. Never really felt right, although I have no issues with ar or m1 sights.

Wasn't crazy about the tech sights and switched them back. I've seen AK sights with an aperture rather than a notch and would like to try those. I think the tech sights were too far back for me, too close to the eye or something. Never really felt right, although I have no issues with ar or m1 sights.

Yeah, I can't really justify spending $68 for sights on a $400 rifle I'm not expecting to be a real precision shooter anyway. I don't think it's unrealistic, with more practice, to get more reliable hits at 100-200 yards. I'm guessing there's no stock way to really use the sling for support during shooting either, or am I missing something? The issued sling can't be easily detached from the rear sling attachment and there's no way to loop it around my arm (other than just a hasty) either. The front attaches directly to the barrel and gas system, so I imagine any amount of tension there will change point of impact.

The ergonomics of the rifle was also pretty different than my M1, so I think it'll take some time to get comfortable with it. The Yugo is a fairly front heavy for such a small rifle too, so I'll have to adapt. It's a blast to shoot, recoil is very pleasant and the cheapness of ammo helps a lot. Just need to get a little more practice with it.

Last edited:
may end up buying the Tech Sights made for the SKS

I bought a set of TS-200 Tech Sights 6 years ago and and that SKS is my favorite to shoot since then.
Don't look it as $68 dollar sights on a $400 rifle. Look at it like this:
Wow, those sights improved my shooting so much more it feels like a more-expensive rifle...

If you check on the internet you will find that once installed, no one ever retro's back.

Don't be cheap. You're worth these sights...

iu
41cVxz1PtNL.jpg

I put just the rear Tech sight on my 59/66 and it is SO much better now. And it doesn't alter anything permanently, just save the parts and put them back on later.

Also get some Golden Tiger ammo, that's the best stuff for 7.62x39.

Which tech sights do you prefer? The slightly cheaper two aperture flip sight, or the single aperture elevation adjustable type? Both are the same diameter and same windage adjustment.

Back
Top Bottom