• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thoughts on the Yugo M59/66 SKS?

Which tech sights do you prefer?

I bought the TS -200 because if I'm gonna buy something, I'm gonna buy the best version. (most of the time...)
Just checked the pricing, the TS200 is now $82 bucks before s&h.
When I bought mine, they were like $59 plus s&h...
Buy them now before they are a hundo...

mac, those look nice and keep the more traditional lines of the sks, but one of the pluses of the TS to me, is the much longer sight radius.

Which tech sights do you prefer? The slightly cheaper two aperture flip sight, or the single aperture elevation adjustable type? Both are the same diameter and same windage adjustment.

pretty sure mine is the one with elevation adjustment.

brass cased yugo is corrosive. I have some i would like to sell i need room in the bunker

I bought a case to get my hands on some decent stripper clips, but once this is all shot, I'll probably just go with new production stuff.

Went ahead and ordered the tech sight (with adjustable elevation) and a new, thinner front post. I already have a similar sight on my Marlin 60, so I know it's good. I even have their dumb little wrench. For 82 bucks, I am a bit disappointed that the elevation is not more easily adjusted, but I don't see any competitors that are even close.

My Prediction: "When you are shooting better groups than you ever did with that little slit of a rear sight, you won't care what you paid for it..."

mine is a shooter right out of the box, but i did have to adjust the front sight post to bring my groups down about a foot.

i modified an 'off road' tire valve core remover to fit the front sight post so I didn't have to buy another god damn tool i'll probably lose :/

i got a few really nice little 2-3" groups but am now playing around with reloads so will see what it can ACTUALLY be capable of.

Happy day, my C&R license has finally arrived. I know the golden era is over, but I'm still interested.

Thinking about an SKS, and noticed that REDACTED has Yugo M59/66 back in stock. Based on pics and reviews, these are usually pretty good quality. Lightly used, well stored millsurp.

Anyone have any strong opinions about these compared to other SKS? For ~$400, it seems like one of the better deals available in the current markets.

Opinions much appreciated!
Where should I be looking around for an SKS in the 400$ range. I'd love to pick one up a little range fun. Thanks.

Where should I be looking around for an SKS in the 400$ range. I'd love to pick one up a little range fun. Thanks.

There have been Yugo SKS popping up on the usual C&R sites now and again for 400ish, if you're looking for the "covered in cosmo straight from gov't storage" type of SKS. Otherwise, plenty of the the others showing up on the the used market here and there. You'd probably want to inspect those more closely as condition will vary based on how it was taken care of over the years. If you're not being particular as far as model or country of origin, I'm sure you can find something in decent shape pretty quickly.

Where should I be looking around for an SKS in the 400$ range.

Tell your LGS owner what you are looking for and how much you want to spend. They may get something in and call you first.
Hey. It could happen...

I put just the rear Tech sight on my 59/66 and it is SO much better now. And it doesn't alter anything permanently, just save the parts and put them back on later.

FWIW, I like the Tech Sights a lot, but I couldn't use one on my Yugo 59/66 without cutting the retaining bit off of the rear housing pin. Did yours not go together that way, or is there some sneaky way to get the pin entirely out that I couldn't figure out? (Which reminds me, I still have the sight (TS200) somewhere despite getting out of the SKS business. Look for it in the member classifieds soon if I can find it!)

My Yugo M57 had a safety added unfortunately.

I think all of them have to have some manual safety to be imported. I'm sure a few exceptions exist here and there. I think some have a split trigger safety which is easier to restore back to original rather than the ones with milling done to the slide/frame to add a safety lever.

FWIW, I like the Tech Sights a lot, but I couldn't use one on my Yugo 59/66 without cutting the retaining bit off of the rear housing pin. Did yours not go together that way, or is there some sneaky way to get the pin entirely out that I couldn't figure out? (Which reminds me, I still have the sight (TS200) somewhere despite getting out of the SKS business. Look for it in the member classifieds soon if I can find it!)

I don't remember having to cut anything on mine but it was a couple of years ago. I know I kept the original parts so I could restore it if I wanted to.

I was out at the Berlin Cabela's today and they have a metric short ton of 59/66 SKSs for sale from $499-550. Various conditions from used to excellent. They are all missing the bayo though but otherwise complete. They also had a ton of M48 and Chilean 1895 mausers

I don't remember having to cut anything on mine but it was a couple of years ago. I know I kept the original parts so I could restore it if I wanted to.

Ended up just hacksawing through my takedown latch pin. I could return it to stock by buying a new latch lever with drive pin, but I doubt I ever will want to unless I'm selling it. Tech sights are a massive improvement and I was getting rounds into the black at 100 yards with consistency. I find the rifle itself a bit strange ergonomically and could never quite get comfortable and super steady while prone. Still lots of fun to shoot!

I guess I've just gotten used to the Eastern Bloc sights between AKs, Mosins, and SKS etc. They've never really given me a problem at 100yds. The majority of my rifles utilize them. Do I like them better than an M1's sights? No, but I don't mind them.

The SKS without modification doesn't really sport a shooting sling. If I recall, mac trimmed down a USGI websling to work.

I guess I've just gotten used to the Eastern Bloc sights between AKs, Mosins, and SKS etc. They've never really given me a problem at 100yds. The majority of my rifles utilize them. Do I like them better than an M1's sights? No, but I don't mind them.

The SKS without modification doesn't really sport a shooting sling. If I recall, mac trimmed down a USGI websling to work.
I,have bent cut and twisted usgi web sling hooks to fit just about everything

Happy day, my C&R license has finally arrived. I know the golden era is over, but I'm still interested.

Thinking about an SKS, and noticed that REDACTED has Yugo M59/66 back in stock. Based on pics and reviews, these are usually pretty good quality. Lightly used, well stored millsurp.

Anyone have any strong opinions about these compared to other SKS? For ~$400, it seems like one of the better deals available in the current markets.

Opinions much appreciated!

Buy one.

Other than the fact a Picatinny is impossible, they are great.

Find out if it has Radium Nite sights.

The weird part on these, is the Radium does not wear out.

But the chemical that glows, does.

I have yet to figure out how to re-apply that chemical so as to restore the nite sights.

DO NOT remove any material inside those sights. You may remove the Radium - then all hope of ever restoring them will be lost.

I have a chinese SKS and love it, I'm not a big fan of the grenade launcher on the yugo's. The trigger on my SKS was awful but I sent the trigger assembly to this guy who made it pretty darn nice:

SKS triggers, improve the safety of the SKS carbines

Come on, the Grenade Launcher looks badass.

And truth be told, 99% of the fins, ribs, holes, etc. that are available on AR15's (when we could still buy them. thank you Charlie Baker) are just eye candy.

Yeah, they look kewl.

Thankfully AK-47's remain generally spartan in appearance. Which is what I prefer.

I was out at the Berlin Cabela's today and they have a metric short ton of 59/66 SKSs for sale from $499-550. Various conditions from used to excellent. They are all missing the bayo though but otherwise complete. They also had a ton of M48 and Chilean 1895 mausers

Just FYI for those looking to pick one of these up. BJ's has discounted Cabelas gift cards which brings the price to around $400.
Cabela's Gift Card Discount

Ask the Library guy for the bayo. They removed them all and there in the back.

Found an early M59 Balkan graffiti in the lot. No greasy cosmo mess.

Back
Top Bottom