Your top three most iconic handguns

Tough to argue with the OP’s three. We can quibble about what order they go in, but the term is “iconic.”

A Glock, more iconic than an SAA, Luger, or 1911? That’s delusional.

Colt SAA
Luger P08
Colt 1911

Why that order? I'm basing the order based on how well John Q Public would identify the gun. Everyone who sees a Colt SAA knows it's an American cowboy gun. Most everyone who sees a Luger knows it's a German / Nazi gun. Average Joes who see a 1911 will recognize it as an iconic design but won't necessarily know where / when to place it.

There's an argument that the PPK might be more recognizable than the 1911, at least for your average boomers and gen-Xers.

2ziatxw.jpg

80's specific honorable mention to the Bren Ten...

Sonny-and-his-Bren-Ten-courtesy-ar15.com_.jpg

Last edited:
Was thinking about this after my Luger post. Thinking across all of history, what in your opinion would be the top three most iconic handuns. Can be any time or type of handgun.

Personally I consider these my top three. They are:

1. 1911
2. Luger P08
3 Colt Peacemaker

What's yours?

I think you pretty much got it right...
But, I would put these in the runner up or 4-6 places

Snub nose. Could be sw or colt.
Glock any of them as they all look the same
Beretta 92

The OP nailed it.

runners up:
S&W J-frame, Beretta 92, Walther PPK, S&W model 29

Based on the guns that I could identify before I knew anything really about guns. I really really need to get a p-08.

Iconic? 1911, Browning HP, Broomhandle for semis, Colt SAA, Webley and Colt Python for wheelguns.

I'm almost agreeing with the OP - but I'll trade a S&W K Frame (most likely a 19, but I can see a model 10, too) for the Luger.

The 1911 and 1873 are givens, though.

Surprised no one has said the Desert Eagle or Uzi. Everyone and their mother knows those guns.. even people who don't know guns at all.

I would say most iconic to me would be EVERYONE knows what it is. I love 1911's, but if I had a dollar for every person that had no idea what a 1911 was, Id be able to buy another full custom 1911.

Desert Eagle
Uzi Pistol
Beretta 92

Would be my 3

Nothing new here, but the first 3 I thought of were....

Luger P08
Colt SAA

Honorable mention (due to movies, media etc)

Beretta 92
Desert Eagle
S&W Model 29

1911....that's easy

Chiefs special .38....hard to miss all those revolvers in detectives holsters back in the day

Single action army colt......that's easy

1911, Luger, Glock

Yes, I said Glock. Just remember, Hitler made Time's Man of the Year once.

Show one of those three to almost ANYONE and they will recognize it.

I would love to add a six gun from the John Wayne Westerns, but I think non-gun folk would recognize revolver but not which ONE.

Are these guns I own? Or just the three most iconic in history?

Oh! Well, same list, I guess, if one counts a Glock 25% frame.

surprised to see the high power on so many lists. Don't get me wrong its a great gun......paved the way to double stack 9mm we all know and love today but....."iconic"? Personally I don't see it as "iconic".

Colt 1911
Walther P38
Colt Detective Special

I think anybody in the world would recognize them even if they can't name them.

surprised to see the high power on so many lists. Don't get me wrong its a great gun......paved the way to double stack 9mm we all know and love today but....."iconic"? Personally I don't see it as "iconic".

In Europe it probably is. But I agree with you. I wouldn’t put it any higher than 5 or so, with the PPK at number 4.

How anyone can leave the SAA off any list of iconic handguns is beyond me.

Back
Top Bottom