Your top three most iconic handguns

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Was thinking about this after my Luger post. Thinking across all of history, what in your opinion would be the top three most iconic handuns. Can be any time or type of handgun.

Personally I consider these my top three. They are:

1. 1911
2. Luger P08
3 Colt Peacemaker

What's yours?

Was thinking about this after my Luger post. Thinking across all of history, what in your opinion would be the top three most iconic handuns. Can be any time or type of handgun.

1. 1911
2. Luger P08
3 Colt Peacemaker

This^

1911 - only because I fashioned one out of wood when I was 14 that was realistic enough for my dad to show around to everyone that stopped by.

P08 Luger. As referenced in the other thread. Such an iconic look that the Japanese made the Nambu and Bill Ruger sorta stole the overall look for the MKI, et al.

Walther PPK. Not just James Bond. But a gun that EVERYONE knows when it's pulled in a movie. Plus its' had a bunch of copy-cat looks, including the Sig 232.

Glock 17/19
Nambu - it is so ugly it could be a modern art masterpiece! ((c) that movie)

1. 1911
2. S&W Model 10 (pretty much the basis of every modern revolver)
3. Glock 17 (love it or hate it, you cannot deny the impact it had on modern pistol design)

Smith & Wesson "Hand Ejector". The M&P version was the standard law enforcement handgun for most of the 20th Century and is still viable today. Look back at any cop show or movie from the '30s up until the early '90s, and the good guys always carried a revolver.

It was good enough for Reed, Malloy, Bill Gannon, and Sgt. Joe Friday, and it's good enough for me!

The 1911. I'm not a huge fan, but it certainly set the standard for modern pistols, and is more popular today than ever.

Colt Single Action Army. Try naming a Western where the main character didn't carry one or a clone.

1. 1911
2. Luger P08
3 Colt Peacemaker

What's yours?

Same, but:

1. Colt 1911
2. Luger P08
3. Colt Peacemaker
4. C96 Mauser
5. Glock 17
6. S&W Model 29
7. Walther P38
8. MAC Model 10
9. Walther PPK
10. Colt Python

It doesn't seem fair to just have 3 in 150 years of cartridge handguns... sorry I couldn't play by the rules!

Picking just three is tough, and it becomes more of a these are my favorite iconic handguns than these are the most iconic but here goes:

1) 1911 - not as instantly recognized as The Luger but so many features have been copied and re-copied you can't argue that it didn’t revolutionize hand guns.

2) P08 Luger, no mistaking it, and IIRC almost beat out the 1911 to become the American militaries service pistol prior to WWI

3) S&W Model 29. The first real hand cannon, at 44 years old I still drool over them and reminisce about Dirty Harry asking some punk if he feels lucky.

It’s all just personal preference of course but those are mine.

1. Colt SAA still want one and a set of the coiled snake grips Eastwood sported- thanks to dad for watching all those east wood movies over and over and....
2. 1911 - about the only pistol other than a 38spl I shot in my youth
3. Is tough but I would say the desert eagle another one of those movie guns and I wanted one after Tackleberry sported one. Then I almost got the bug again after Snatch

1. 1911
2. Luger P08
3 Colt Peacemaker

What's yours?

I'd go with this too.

you know, shown in silhouette i'd bet most people would call this a luger, no?

The silhouette game can be tricky. Is this a 1911? Or is it a CZ SP-01, Sig Legion, Canik clone, etc?
1911-silhouette_v3.jpg

glock 26 - because its a small polymer wonder and stops bad guys
s&w 500 - because its a 500, classic design and stops tanks
ruger super redhawk alaskan 44mg - because its design is classic and it stops bears

The silhouette game can be tricky. Is this a 1911? Or is it a CZ SP-01, Sig Legion, Canik clone, etc?
1911-silhouette_v3.jpg
it's not a game of what is it, it's just that everyone knows what those 3 guns are. point is, in silhouette it's going to be called a 1911. hence why the thread is called "3 most iconic guns." you guys take everything so literal, chill for crissake.

NO LOVE for the colt woodsman? The bain of many a squirrel?
im going to say unless you where into 22 pistols pre 1990s theres very few that would know a colt woodsman today, they would ask what kind of ruger is that

Beretta 92FS
Glock

Those are based on the handguns most people would recognize. They might not know what they are exactly, but they're movie/TV guns.

Three top introduced in my lifetime, post WW2.

S&W 629 ( or 29 but everything is better in stainless)
Contender (the hand cannon that everyone could afford)
XP 100 ( what’s not to like with a bolt action pistol with that funky stock)

Back
Top Bottom