Young Douchebags?

I had a reason to associate with younger gun owners yesterday.

With no exception, they all had the following:

1) Tactical beards
2) Multiple arm and leg tatoos
3) Kickin' New England accents
4) Camo cargo shorts
5) t-shirts with some sort of "I own guns, **** you" message
6) Heavy smoking habit
7) Questionable literacy

Is this description typical of the next generation? If so, I'm concerned about the plight of American Liberty.

It does sound like some people I wouldn't mind shooting with....2,3,6,7 apply to me and I am most certainly a douche.

The whole tone of this thread seems high and mighty and judgmentle. But hey it's the Internet so knock yourself out.

Just glad not to hear unsafe or muzzle sweep on the list.

Last edited:
I'm more concerned about the middle age douchebags and elderly douchebags. I mean maybe the youth's don't know any better or haven't quite grown up. But if your still a douchebag into your thirties maybe there is no helping you.[wink][smile]

I had a chance to associate with some older dudes at the range the other day. To a man, they exhibited the following:

1) $2000 shotguns that they thought were as priceless as a Faberge egg

2) A disdain for black rifles because they assumed that anyone who would have one was a basement dwelling SEAL wannabe.

3) they swung those scatter guns around with no regard for muzzle direction because they were "open"....except when they weren't.

4) looking down their noses at folks like me who want to work from a holster because that's why I have pistols--to carry defensively.

5) snickering at the fact that I carry an IFAK with me to the range. It's not like there's any chance of a traumatic injury there, amiright?

6)Spending more time bitching about Obama and Jade Helm than shooting, sucking up lane time.

Is this typical of the generation who sat idly by while liberties have been eroded? I fear for our rights in the future unless some of the "I own guns, f@$k you" crowd can reverse the trend.

1) Tactical beards
4) Camo cargo shorts
6) Heavy smoking habit
7) Questionable literacy

Is this description typical of the next generation? If so, I'm concerned about the plight of American Liberty.
In Kentucky hill country? So surprised.....

1) Tactical beards
4) Camo cargo shorts
6) Heavy smoking habit
7) Questionable literacy

Sounds a lot like the older generation of New England gun owners, especially the old school, blue collar/Harley rider gun club guys.

I'm 23, I have a Orlando Bloom/Balian of Ibelin moustache and beard, hate tattoos because I don't want to be an old, wrinkly person with the things, I have a rural RI accent (noticed it's strong when I was around college folk on Friday), I prefer work pants but cargo shorts do when I'm not riding my bike or have work that day, I don't believe that insulting people is the way to win converts so I don't do the t-shirt thing, I stopped smoking because when I was 18, $7.50 could buy me either 20 rounds of surplus 7.62x54r or a pack of cigs, and my writing has been published on TTAG and I've been told twice by two different professors that I have the best writing they've ever seen.

People are people. What you described sounds a lot like the older group of guys who own guns now, back when they were young.

I should add, it's only the literacy part that bothers me. The rest is just observation.

Again, that's nothing new. My dad bought his first gun when he was 13, shoots competition trap and skeet, loves guns and votes Republican, but he didn't complete 9th grade or any of the rest. He's not unusual at a gun club, especially the older guys who've "made it" in life.

By all means, start up a reading and writing class at a gun club because its for their own good. I'm sure that'll go well...

I had a chance to associate with some older dudes at the range the other day. To a man, they exhibited the following:

1) $2000 shotguns that they thought were as priceless as a Faberge egg

2) A disdain for black rifles because they assumed that anyone who would have one was a basement dwelling SEAL wannabe.

3) they swung those scatter guns around with no regard for muzzle direction because they were "open"....except when they weren't.

4) looking down their noses at folks like me who want to work from a holster because that's why I have pistols--to carry defensively.

5) snickering at the fact that I carry an IFAK with me to the range. It's not like there's any chance of a traumatic injury there, amiright?

6)Spending more time bitching about Obama and Jade Helm than shooting, sucking up lane time.

Is this typical of the generation who sat idly by while liberties have been eroded? I fear for our rights in the future unless some of the "I own guns, f@$k you" crowd can reverse the trend.

Being able to only positive rep once upsets me.
The no rapid fire folks are always the best. I like getting them all riled up by firing three rounds quickly then doing a mag change and three more shots. Gets'em every time.

I should add, it's only the literacy part that bothers me. The rest is just observation.

Not to sound like a psychiatrist, but if the other stuff didn't bother you, you'd have not mentioned it.

As for the plight of American liberty, you being judgmental over the others' form of expression is very anti-Liberty, IMO

And, just so you know, I'm clean(ish) shaved, have no cargo pants, don't wear Tee shirts, have no ink and don't smoke. I do have a New England accent.

You can judge my level of literacy.

Matthew 7:1 comes to mind.
http://biblehub.com/matthew/7-1.htm

I got a +rep (thanks) that came with a question about my inclusion of the Bible verse- I included that, as a sign on literacy, not because I'm religious. Even the devil can cite scripture, as Shakespeare said (see, I did it again!) [rofl]

Last edited:
Your opinion that my opinion is ant-liberty is anti-liberty, IMHO.
It's not anti-liberty, it's judgemental divisiveness. Which is the last thing this community/lifestyle needs when we have antis trying to pound more legislation down our throats.
You don't have to go drinking with them, but don't write them off either.

That's just young people being young people. Aside from the tshirts, you could probably post that same question on NortheastGardeners.com or NortheastCyclists.com. or any other hobby forum.

"What's wrong with these kids today?"

Who would have thought that old people are calling young people douchebags on a message board , hilarious.

I shoot with friends that fit all your list with one in addition

1a.) veterans

That's right. They are all tatted up, with come and take it shirts, beards, Boston accents, chain smoking inbetween rounds in the action pits at Pelham, and I woundnt trust them to edit my English paper, but they are all awesome guys. Not douchebags.

I'm sure they make generalizations about you, that start with "F" and end with "udd", but they have enough respect to keep it to themselves.

Who would have thought that old people are calling young people douchebags on a message board , hilarious.

I shoot with friends that fit all your list with one in addition

1a.) veterans

That's right. They are all tatted up, with come and take it shirts, beards, Boston accents, chain smoking inbetween rounds in the action pits at Pelham, and I woundnt trust them to edit my English paper, but they are all awesome guys. Not douchebags.

I'm sure they make generalizations about you, that start with "F" and end with "udd", but they have enough respect to keep it to themselves.

Yeah, I have found that from my experience good people are good and the rotten apples are rotten. It's not that ALL of a group is one type of person but all the rotten apples like to hang out together where they don't get called out for their behavior. I am a young(ish) gun owner but 75% of my time at the club now is spent with the trap set and I don't have a tacticle beard or tattoos but I figure if they sweep me less than the 60ish guy who looks puzzeled when I tell him his gun isn't clear and he is waving it around then have fun be safe. If really young some will grow out of it, some won't but I guarantee at least half of the ones that "don't grow out of it" will be the guy who will come over with jumper cables and won't take no for an answer if they see your car won't start at the club because to them you are part of the good people in the world because you own a gun.[smile]

I was also around a bunch of young gun owners yesterday at the MA State Trap Shoot. Clean cut, polite kids being taught about gun safety and responsibility that comes with 2A. Future looks pretty bright to me.

Back
Top Bottom