Young Douchebags?

I had a reason to associate with younger gun owners yesterday.

With no exception, they all had the following:

1) Tactical beards
2) Multiple arm and leg tatoos
3) Kickin' New England accents
4) Camo cargo shorts
5) t-shirts with some sort of "I own guns, **** you" message
6) Heavy smoking habit
7) Questionable literacy

Is this description typical of the next generation? If so, I'm concerned about the plight of American Liberty.

I know a lot of people who match at least the majority of these descriptions, and they're among some of the most active, concerned patriots I know. So how about you stop being a judgemental douchebag? Thanks.

Last edited:
as long as muzzles are pointed in safe directions at all times, chambers are empty as appropriate and there is respectful communication around "clear" and "hot" commands, I'm good with all.

1. It's the summer, so I shaved my head and my beard. The beard will make a comeback in November.

2. Half sleeve... Welcome to 2015.

3. Welcome to New England... Duh.

4. Am I supposed to wear Dockers khaki shorts to the range? FYI jean shorts scream "I'm uncool." Cargo shorts are the ONLY shorts I wear, aside of athletic shorts, Under Armor etc.

5. Again, more Under Armor attire. Don't think I have any clothes that broadcast my beliefs.

6. Smoking became uncool forever ago.

7. So you gave them an English exam at the range?

Kudos for being so judgmental though...

People are douchbags no matter the age, description or education level.

Some os the most educated people this country has turned out, are the biggest douchbags that have ever walked the earth. Aka politicians...and most probably do not sport cargo short, can't spell t-shirts, and may sometimes smoke.

Conversly, some of the smartest guys I know came to work with daily with grease under his nails and got new ink every year to commemorate his fathers passing.

There are quite a few stereotypes among gun owners. The old crazy conspiracy theorist is another one for example. "Obammer goan done take my guns! He's in my basement now!"

I'm 26 and I do have a beard but Ive always had one since high school. When I go to the range I always bring 3-4 firearms and make sure all the actions are open and pointing down range with no magazines in them. My dad always taught me safety is paramount and thats what I follow. I am far from a expert but Ive shot enough to help others put quality holes in paper but I try not to seem like a know it all. I also dont dress like a tool, Jeans 365 days a year and normal t shirt, honestly youd never know I was even into firearms let alone carrying a 45c and a 938 in my pocket.

Ive gone a few times and seen some stuff that just makes you shake your head. Last time I was at MFS, there was a couple middle aged guys in the lane two over from us, walking around with their .357 magnum and trying to critique everyone else.

OP's post reminded me of that ridiculous "New Boy Scouts" thread from a few weeks ago that was mercifully locked. As a society we are quick to judge others who don't share our look/ideals/religion/politics, but get extremely bent when we face those same judgments.

As others have said, why create a schism within a group that is like minded because of their look? In the end, the real enemy to our cause is dangerous enough. Let's not divide people on the same side...

1) Tactical beards
4) Camo cargo shorts
6) Heavy smoking habit
7) Questionable literacy

Is this description typical of the next generation? If so, I'm concerned about the plight of American Liberty.

I don't see what the problem is here with the possible exception of #7 (eta: even this is pretty subjective, I know people who can barely read who probably have more "common sense" and a better aligned moral compass than most) And I'm about as "un-anythingonthislist" as it gets.

If these people really are douchebags you've done a terrible job of depicting that in text. [laugh]

-Mike

Last edited:
I'm going to give this a -1 on the rant meter, mostly because OP obviously is annoyed by the entire list but then reversed himself.

I'm oldish (54). Got a tattoo (one). Retired, so often have a scruff beard; don't know if that's considered tactical? Grew up in Oklahoma, lived in Boston twice, still can't stand the Boston accent. Really like cargo shorts; like cargo PANTS even better; never owned anything camo except a cap given to me by a vendor. Don't like the **** you messages on T-shirts, from ANYBODY's point of view. Smoke occasionally. As for literacy, I usually nail my hands to the counter top before reading forums so I don't become the grammar nazi.

So I guess I score a +4, -3 on your scale. And I'm OK with that.

This thread has helped me to realize why we as gun owners are so easy to divide. There have been too many posts pointing out what someone dislikes about another gunowner. It makes me sick.

I can understand bashing the shit out of gun owners that specifically work against us, but beyond that, the whole thing really mystifies me.

-Mike

Unless they were ICP tattoos I wouldn't worry. Haha

I think I can actually agree on that. I have yet to meet an individual sporting hatchet man that wasn't above the level of basically being an oxygen thief. I'm sure they exist but its probably a tiny minority.

-Mike

1) Tactical beards
4) Camo cargo shorts
6) Heavy smoking habit
7) Questionable literacy

1.) Not fudds

2.) Potentially someone to bum a smoke from, in case you calculated wrong and ran out.

3.) I fail to see a problem.

edit: Were they fat?

Last edited:
Methinks the OP has a personal grudge going. Perhaps the young guys were chuckling after seeing him shoot "Minute of Barn" and then blaming his firearm, as so many Fudds do?[rolleyes]

I had a chance to associate with some older dudes at the range the other day. To a man, they exhibited the following:

1) $2000 shotguns that they thought were as priceless as a Faberge egg

2) A disdain for black rifles because they assumed that anyone who would have one was a basement dwelling SEAL wannabe.

3) they swung those scatter guns around with no regard for muzzle direction because they were "open"....except when they weren't.

4) looking down their noses at folks like me who want to work from a holster because that's why I have pistols--to carry defensively.

5) snickering at the fact that I carry an IFAK with me to the range. It's not like there's any chance of a traumatic injury there, amiright?

6)Spending more time bitching about Obama and Jade Helm than shooting, sucking up lane time.

Is this typical of the generation who sat idly by while liberties have been eroded? I fear for our rights in the future unless some of the "I own guns, f@$k you" crowd can reverse the trend.

I am an old dude (60) and I do not meet any of those criteria

as long as they are not blatantly unsafe and clean up after themselves I don't care who is shooting next to me.

That and as long as they don't bug me with their made up range rules and constantly butting into my business.

The more shooters the better. Some are just new to it and can be ignorant (lack of knowledge) due to their parents / peers not bing into guns.

Atilla in a banana suit brings a smile to me every time rather than agitation.

Well Squire, you might've miscalculated if you were expecting people here to agree with you.

I was at the range once with three guys that I thought had horrible speech impediments until I realized they were from Rhode Island.

I had a chance to associate with some older dudes at the range the other day. To a man, they exhibited the following:

2) A disdain for black rifles because they assumed that anyone who would have one was a basement dwelling SEAL wannabe.

3) they swung those scatter guns around with no regard for muzzle direction because they were "open"....except when they weren't.

4) looking down their noses at folks like me who want to work from a holster because that's why I have pistols--to carry defensively.

5) snickering at the fact that I carry an IFAK with me to the range. It's not like there's any chance of a traumatic injury there, amiright?

6)Spending more time bitching about Obama and Jade Helm than shooting, sucking up lane time.

Is this typical of the generation who sat idly by while liberties have been eroded? I fear for our rights in the future unless some of the "I own guns, f@$k you" crowd can reverse the trend.

Knocked it clear out the park with this one, my man.

The old guys at the rod and gun club I occasionally shoot trap at are mostly ancient old duffers with fancy European shotguns worth more than my truck - but they're always eager for other people to try shooting them (even complete strangers) and to offer helpful advice and coaching - when wanted. Very common for those old guys to pay for the first year of membership for new members, too. Funny thing about those shotguns - even though they're light years better than my beat up old Ithaca 37, I still can't shoot for damn with them. Much better with my older-than-me pump gun.

TL;DR - all Fudds aren't bad, just like all young people aren't.

Back
Top Bottom