You Could Say I Am a Sniper Now ...

I'm not dismissing having a handgun, I would just have one of these and practice with lighter loads and then load up with some Buffalo Bore or something similar. You wouldn't even know it was there for the most part. Matter of fact, if I find one for the right price I will probably pull the trigger 😆

Light loads are fine for trigger pull (although in a revolver it is easy enough to practice dry firing.

But if you are serious, you need to practice with what you will shoot.

A bear charging is no joke, you would have a few seconds (if you are lucky) to draw and take several shots. So better be used to the recoil.

You are better off carrying something you can shoot fast and accurate than something you almost never practice with. Even if that something is 9mm, 40, 10mm or 45 ACP. I can shoot my 1911 faster and more accurate than my 45/70 or 460 revolvers, even though 45 ACP is not a good choice for a bear charging at you, I would rather carry that (if my only choice was 45 ACP vs 45/70 or 460 revolver).

Last edited:
Light loads are fine for trigger pull (although in a revolver it is easy enough to practice dry firing.

But if you are serious, you need to practice with what you will shoot.

A bear charging is no joke, you would have a few seconds (if you are lucky) to draw and take several shots. So better be used to the recoil.

You are better off carrying something you can shoot fast and accurate than something you almost never practice with. Even if that something is 9mm, 40, 10mm or 45 ACP. I cna shoot my 1911 faster and more accurate than my 45/70 or 460 revolvers, even though 45 ACP is not a good choice for a bear charging, I would rather carry that (if my only choice was 45 ACP vs 45/70 or 460 revolver).

I don't take advice from Creedmoor owners.

(I've shot a few black bears, nothing like a grizzly but can be ornery at times.)

Sure, if you want to carry that weight around along with a pack and your rifle walking a few miles a day in difficult terrain.
I carried my Glock 20 during my Mt hunt. Hung under my bino harness. Barely felt it after the first day.

Also, was shooting .308. The one guy who had a 6.5cm. Could not get his rifle to zero properly after our flight. Had to use a borrowed 300 win mag and bitched about it the whole time.

I carried my Glock 20 during my Mt hunt. Hung under my bino harness. Barely felt it after the first day.

Also, was shooting .308. The one guy who had a 6.5cm. Could not get his rifle to zero properly after our flight. Had to use a borrowed 300 win mag and bitched about it the whole time.

A S&W 500 weighs about twice what a Glock 20 weighs.

I'm surprised that 6.5 CM didn't just sight itself in.

Did you get anything with the .308? If so, how far was the shot? What state?

Should have sighted the gun BEFORE traveling. Then confirm zero on site.

Should have sighted the gun in and practiced at the ranges shots might be taken BEFORE traveling. Then confirm zero on site.

Fixed it. I get a kick out of people who sight their gun in at 100 yards and then assume they can hit something at 300-400-500 yards easily. And, unless they chronograph their loads, they do not even know that the load/ammo is producing the velocity it is supposed to out of their respective barrel - probably doesn't make too much of a difference out to 200 yards but when you get out beyond 300 it can. And then you throw it possible wind drift........................

Fixed it. I get a kick out of people who sight their gun in at 100 yards and then assume they can hit something at 300-400-500 yards easily. And, unless they chronograph their loads, they do not even know that the load/ammo is producing the velocity it is supposed to out of their respective barrel - probably doesn't make too much of a difference out to 200 yards but when you get out beyond 300 it can. And then you throw it possible wind drift........................
True. Someone that shows up without sighting the gun first and can't sight the gun on site probably didn't practice and has no clue what he/she is doing.

True. Someone that shows up without sighting the gun first and can't sight the gun on site probably didn't practice and has no clue what he/she is doing.
It's surprising how many people think they can wing it for something like that. Saw this in action at the Granby 'orientation'. The club was very specific about guns, match ammo, and having your chronographed DOPE for that specific rifle and ammo combination. Dudes still showed up without having their shit together and expected their studly opinion of themselves to put hits on target at 1,000 yards. They were sent home. I hear stories all the time of 'hunters' setting up an expensive trip out west yet they fail to spend the time and pennies to properly sight in then pack the rifle in a case capable of protecting the scope and its zero.

I've seen it over and over in hunting camps (Maine), and some people do not even know how to load/fire their firearm. It is unbelievable and unsafe. Guides end up having to spend time with these people making sure their gun is sighted in correctly and that the person can handle and fire it safely and accurately enough. Maine distances are not that far, I cannot imagine people like this hunting up out west expecting to take game at 300+ yards.

I've seen it over and over in hunting camps (Maine), and some people do not even know how to load/fire their firearm. It is unbelievable and unsafe. Guides end up having to spend time with these people making sure their gun is sighted in correctly and that the person can handle and fire it safely and accurately enough. Maine distances are not that far, I cannot imagine people like this hunting up out west expecting to take game at 300+ yards.
Holy f*ck.

If I was a guide I would tell the person to go home or charge a "stupid" tax. Damn.

@Broc :
Ignore the naysayers and haters. 6.5 Kardashian is the master race of intermediary cartridges. We 6.5 users laugh with disdain when those poor 308 shooting inferiors watch their fancy 168 gr FGMM peters out at 800 yards, and their 175 gr get bounced around by a little breeze, like little bitches. We just keep effortlessly shooting groups the size of a mosquito’s ass at1200. Our round is just that far superior. Just pity the fools who refuse to see the light and acknowledge the vast superiority of our chosen caliber.

With all the smart ass trash talk here I really wonder if there is anyone here who actually tried a good modern ultralight (under 6lbs) hunting rifle, like that savage 110 k2 - chambered in 308 and then in 6.5cm side by side.

They are selling best in an 6.5cm for a reason, that’s all. Even if reason eludes you - it does not mean there isn’t one.

With all the smart ass trash talk here I really wonder if there is anyone here who actually tried a good modern ultralight (under 6lbs) hunting rifle, like that savage 110 k2 - chambered in 308 and then in 6.5cm side by side.

They are selling best in an 6.5cm for a reason, that’s all. Even if reason eludes you - it does not mean there isn’t one.

Those things are hideous IMO. I do have Kimbers that are also under 6 lbs. in .223, .257 Roberts and .308.

I'd love to buy a Fix this year, and Larue has a bolt action in 6.5 now that also ships with a spare barrel in another caliber (or spare 6.5)

Yes, I've fired a very nice 6.5. I have a less nice 308 that still can do more than I need. Knowing that some cartridge is technically better when you put the gun in a vise doesn't really get my engine revving.

Yes, I've fired a very nice 6.5. I have a less nice 308 that still can do more than I need. Knowing that some cartridge is technically better when you put the gun in a vise doesn't really get my engine revving.
would be cool to know how many here own a modern 5lbs .308 carbon wrapped rifle, use it and love it.

My next will be probably now a long rem build, and I am not ditching anything I own. I have now 3 .308 guns and 3 6.5cm and they all are good in its own way.

There might be some that hit harder.
Some that are slightly flatter.
Some that are slightly faster.

I was going to go with 308, but ... decided to try 6.5cm.
That was your first mistake… I love my .308.

Seriously though, this is some interesting stuff:
“The United States Special Operations Command (USSOCOM) recently conducted a study comparing the 6.5 Creedmoor, .260 Remington, and .308 Winchester cartridges and they came to a similar conclusion. Compared to the current M118 Special Ball Long Range .308 Winchester load (a 175gr Sierra MatchKing Boattail Hollow Point) currently used by special operations snipers, the 6.5 Creedmoor had less recoil, doubled hit probability at 1,000 meters, had a 33% longer effective range, retained 30% more energy at 1,000 meters, and had 40% less wind drift at 1,000 meters.”

Back
Top Bottom