You Could Say I Am a Sniper Now ...

That was your first mistake… I love my .308.

Seriously though, this is some interesting stuff:
“The United States Special Operations Command (USSOCOM) recently conducted a study comparing the 6.5 Creedmoor, .260 Remington, and .308 Winchester cartridges and they came to a similar conclusion. Compared to the current M118 Special Ball Long Range .308 Winchester load (a 175gr Sierra MatchKing Boattail Hollow Point) currently used by special operations snipers, the 6.5 Creedmoor had less recoil, doubled hit probability at 1,000 meters, had a 33% longer effective range, retained 30% more energy at 1,000 meters, and had 40% less wind drift at 1,000 meters.”
Based on what you posted, looks like the 6.5 wasn't a mistake.

6.5cm Bros, need a hand.

Will order some SRP brass. Everyone says to either order a Redding and buy a smaller decaping pin or buy the Lee Universal and sand it down 0.002.

Also, some people say LRP is better in cold, and others say there is no difference between SRP and LRP.

1. What are your thoughts on the above?

2. Do you prefer to resize and decap in one operation or do it in separate?

6.5cm Bros, need a hand.

Will order some SRP brass. Everyone says to either order a Redding and buy a smaller decaping pin or buy the Lee Universal and sand it down 0.002.

Also, some people say LRP is better in cold, and others say there is no difference between SRP and LRP.

What are your thoughts?
we talked about it briefly.
PRS use vs hunting use. LRP is probably more reliable for hunting. #450 SRP better for consistency, with properly prepped brass.
Not sure about smaller decap pin, but all my dies are redding. Works both lrp and srp brass same.

Generally, yeah, a Redding type s full size die is the way.

Yeah all the guys I know shooting 6.5CM, 6CM, 6 ARC etc all swear by SRPs - specifically the CCI 450s. But they’re not hunting

Based on what you posted, looks like the 6.5 wasn't a mistake.
Like I said, I luv me some .308. I will definitely be looking more closely at 6.5 Creedmoor in the not too distant future. I was on a thing to simplify my calibers for a while. .45ACP, .357 Magnum, 9mm. 5.56 and 7.62 were enough, but I do find myself interested.

6.5 looks interesting for longer ranges. .308 has the advantage of bigger holes and more energy under 500. The argument about bears while hunting out west that someone else posted seems like a good reason to me to continue to use .308 in that < 500. My AR10 has offset BUIS for non-magnified shooting with the 3-9x.

Like I said, I luv me some .308. I will definitely be looking more closely at 6.5 Creedmoor in the not too distant future. I was on a thing to simplify my calibers for a while. .45ACP, .357 Magnum, 9mm. 5.56 and 7.62 were enough, but I do find myself interested.

6.5 looks interesting for longer ranges. .308 has the advantage of bigger holes and more energy under 500. The argument about bears while hunting out west that someone else posted seems like a good reason to me to continue to use .308 in that < 500. My AR10 has offset BUIS for non-magnified shooting with the 3-9x.
308 is awesome in a m993 form.
A must have thing, when it matters, but for a different kind of hunting.

I too was simplifying my calibers down to 3 or 4, maybe 5.

Then I started reloading and all that went to sh*t. [rofl]

Now I am trying to stay away from any that use LP primers, so I can reload everything with SR or LR primers.

What is anybody shooting past 500 yards? In addition, please clarify if it's reloading as in remanufacturing ammuniation or inserting a magazine.
Reloading as re-manufacturing.

As far as what people are shooting... paper, steel, vegetables, bottles, animals ... there are plenty of long range target shooting competitors here.

Yeah, good luck with that. :)
I recently just got 5k of #200 cci thx to Andrew, but, it is a struggle.
So far I managed. I reload 45ACP with SPP.

But eventually I want to start reloading 45 Colt and 44 Mag. So I will need some.

But I need to slow down, LOL. I still need to develop the 357 Maximum load and the 6.5cm.

Last edited:
Are primers still $150?

Sold all my gear when before I moved, and now have dedicated space so I'm looking for a press / again. Mostly looking to reload 308, 6.5, 6mm
No, coming down. I believe now they are around $80/K. Some places might be cheaper some a little more. TSUSA is $83/K (I believe this includes Hazmat - I never ordered from them so don't know).

At $83/K, even though the price s*cks, it is cheap enough to reload below factory ammo costs for something like 9mm, so that also applies to the other calibers.

intended use:

Hunting - Wyoming - so anywhere from 100 to 400 yards, maybe 500. But I will try to not go past 350-400 unless I am very comfortable reading the wind. I don't have a ton of practice there.

For range fun .. up to 600 yards.

Budget:
- no budget. I want to buy something good, but also don't need a $1,500 scope. I need ot to be light, clear and preferably have an illuminated reticle in MOA.

Platform:
Bolt action.

My eyes are great so I prefer to not use a ton of magnification, I was thinking 4x for the long range, but it might be too much if I engage a target at 100 yards. So maybe a 2x or 3x?

My recommendations based on your intended application(s). Lets keep it simple stupid (KISS). Not saying or calling you stupid by any means.

1. Spend the time to thoroughly research and gain some knowledge tools for the tool box.

2. Do not get wrapped around the axle with brand names. What you need to be concerned with are a few very important aspects of the scope selection process which will or should shape your decision.

3. Optical clarity, turret / tracking repeatability, optical plane 1st versus 2nd and eye relief. We are starting off simple because those 4 things that I just mentioned in my opinion are what I consider none compromising. I will never understand why someone will spend say 3-5k on a rifle and put a $500 or $2,800 piece of crap glass on it where the optical clarity is literally shit, eye relief is horrible and the turrets are crap and not consistent / repeatable? Your budget of a rig should be the cost of the rifle and the cost of the glass.

4. Get behind as many rigs as you can. Look through the glass. Hopefully after looking through allot of shitty glass versus good glass versus great glass you should be able to determine why optical clarity, turret / tracking repeatability, optical plane 1st versus 2nd and eye relief are very important for your glass selection. After those 4 things then you can start venturing on to others like tube size, reticles , turret and reticle value (MIL vs MOA) and so on.

I wish you the best of luck. Any questions by all means ask away.

Are primers still $150?

Sold all my gear when before I moved, and now have dedicated space so I'm looking for a press / again. Mostly looking to reload 308, 6.5, 6mm
They were not there, in a $150 range, except of may be bench rest large rifle. Issue with LRPs cci I use is that it is simply not available nowhere now.
Price was/is around $100. SRPs are a bit cheaper. SPPs are even more cheaper.

But for specifically cci #450 availability is also scarce. #400 pops up more often.

Last edited:

I too was simplifying my calibers down to 3 or 4, maybe 5.

Then I started reloading and all that went to sh*t. [rofl]

Now I am trying to stay away from any that use LP primers, so I can reload everything with SR or LR primers.
Yeah replacing LRP right now will be tough

No, coming down. I believe now they are around $80/K. Some places might be cheaper some a little more. TSUSA is $83/K (I believe this includes Hazmat - I never ordered from them so don't know).

At $83/K, even though the price s*cks, it is cheap enough to reload below factory ammo costs for something like 9mm, so that also applies to the other calibers.
After tax and hazmat the TSUSA SPP are $94 per 1k shipped. Only place cheaper is from Academy online who isn’t charging hazmat or shipping. Don’t ship to MA of course.

Back
Top Bottom