• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Yeti drops NRA

I'm in the market for a new 20oz. Tumbler, and was just going to go with a Yeti... not anymore.
We have two $20 Yetis and two $7 Ozark Trail, which keep products just as hot or cold.

Just got a 50 page magazine from them, all about their new products and stories by their Embassadors. Into recycling....

Yeti is like Timberland boots. Used to be that they were the go-to for the blue collar type folk who used them for what they were built for. Now they're an overpriced par-for-the-course performing fashion statement or status symbol.
Not me.....in the 1980s I wore Herman survivors not timberland lol

Yeti is like Timberland boots. Used to be that they were the go-to for the blue collar type folk who used them for what they were built for. Now they're an overpriced par-for-the-course performing fashion statement or status symbol.
Caarhart is the poster child for real work wear gone yuppified. Dont get me wrong the work wear is still good,.....but they certainly branched out into yuppie gear too.

Caarhart is the poster child for real work wear gone yuppified. Dont get me wrong the work wear is still good,.....but they certainly branched out into yuppie gear too.
I like Carhartt jeans. They're more consistent, size wise, over several pairs. I used to wear Levi jeans, until I ordered a couple of the exact same size and had them fit very differently.

For boots, I like Cat brand (as in Caterpillar) boots. I've been getting one style (steel toe boots) for when I need the protection on my feet. Such as when I know I'm going to be racking servers (I'm more worried about my feet than damage to the server if it drops), or out in the garage/shop working with metals. I just wish the laces would hold up as well as the rest of the boots (I typically have to replace the laces after a while, but the boots last much longer).

BTW, whacko, did the hypnotoad come up with your avatar??? [rofl2]

They did some focus groups and figured in order to maintain growth, they had to start appealing to Hipsters, as they were saturated in the Outfitter/Sportsman market unless they drop prices and lower margin. So no NRA.

Wicked expensive/over priced product line end to end.......far more expensive than competitors which is why I never bought anything from Yeti.....I suspect many people are in same boat........

Best of luck to them as a company
I'm surprised they've lasted as long as they have. A cooler......$350?!?! For camping I can literally buy a small micro fridge ($100) and a 900 watt portable generator ($100) for about half that and keep my beers and hot dogs cold.....plus plug in a tv charge my laptops and phones and run some lights.

Hunting use......I hunt......any Coleman cooler will work for a few days and costs $50.

I don't understand what marketing magic they performed to get people to spend that kind of $ on a f***ing cooler.

Edit.....I've been told they are scent proof for bear deterrent. If you want to see how that worked out for a couple of campers the ranger station at the entrance to the kank has one mounted over the desk....Absolutely shredded by a black bear.....how'd that $350 cooler work out for ya? Lol

Last edited:
Edit.....I've been told they are scent proof for bear deterrent. If you want to see how that worked out for a couple of campers the ranger station at the entrance to the kank has one mounted over the desk....Absolutely shredded by a black bear.

Pretty sure it says 'resistant' not 'proof'. Actually, just looked to see what the wording is on the site (or where sold)... They don't mention either anymore. They have 'Bearfoot' mentioned (some kind of no-slip deal), but that's it... Guess they can't say either proof or resistant anymore with what whacko mentioned... Funny how something like a bear shredding your product that you claimed was safe from them (in some fashion) will get you to remove that from the product description and everything. [rofl2] Sort of like how no watch is water proof... They can resist up to a certain depth and that's it. ;)

RTIC is superior for less than half the price!! I would be willing to bet they are made in the same factory in China.

My brother has a bunch of yeti for the boat. The hard cooler would make a nice target but the soft cooler will be very anticlimactic

Edit.....I've been told they are scent proof for bear deterrent. If you want to see how that worked out for a couple of campers the ranger station at the entrance to the kank has one mounted over the desk....Absolutely shredded by a black bear.....how'd that $350 cooler work out for ya? Lol

They can claim it's scent proof or resistant all they want but that won't help when the lid is used to prepare food.

P1000768-300x225.jpg

IIRC Yeti started out catering to the off shore fishing guys and gals. Center console builders had the coffin box set up for their coolers. Sea Vee used them under their leaning posts.

This was long before I'd see 10,000 dollar stacks of their products in stores like West Marine and O'Connor Hardware.

Pretty sure it says 'resistant' not 'proof'. Actually, just looked to see what the wording is on the site (or where sold)... They don't mention either anymore. They have 'Bearfoot' mentioned (some kind of no-slip deal), but that's it... Guess they can't say either proof or resistant anymore with what whacko mentioned... Funny how something like a bear shredding your product that you claimed was safe from them (in some fashion) will get you to remove that from the product description and everything. [rofl2] Sort of like how no watch is water proof... They can resist up to a certain depth and that's it. ;)

It isn't Yeti that does the certification. They just provide a little sticker but the model and make need to be on the clipboard of the NPR who is inspecting you cooler.

You can search for your cooler in the PDF. If you live, hunt or vacation out west the bear cert and the ice staying cold longer are the two main reasons that hunting, fishing and river rafts guides started using them. A padlock must be in each and every set of holes to be allowed to camp in certain areas. This is where the extra thickness comes into play.

Then as we know the product was "yuppie-fied" or "hipster-ized",

http://igbconline.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/160226_Certified_Products_List.pdf

CERTIFIED BEAR-RESISTANT PRODUCTS
Methods for Complying with Food Storage Regulations on Public Lands

In order to keep attractants unavailable to bears and reduce human/bear conflicts, regulations pertaining to proper food and attractant storage are likely to be present on public lands within grizzly bear habitat. Use of IGBC-certified bear-resistant containers is one of the methods available to comply with many of these food storage regulations. Other methods for food storage order compliance may also be available; for instance electric fencing is authorized in some ecosystems and under certain conditions. Regardless of your public land location or destination, we recommend contacting local land management offices for more details on the use of electric fences or other products and methods that may be used to comply with applicable food storage regulations because requirements may vary by location.

The products listed below are those that have been approved by the IGBC as bear-resistant. This means these products meet IGBC bear-resistant design and structural standards, but it is not a guarantee that a grizzly bear cannot gain entry into these products. Nor does the IGBC guarantee that small amounts of the contents of the containers won’t be able to leak or spill out. This official list of approved products will be updated as needed. Please note that some approved products may be marketed or sold under different brand names.

• Technical Evaluation Protocol is now posted for testing/evaluation of large steel products (i.e. dumpsters, food storage lockers and trash can enclosures). (see Product Testing Protocol)
    • The “Administrative Approval” process has been discontinued. All products must now undergo testing/evaluation.
    • Some fees have increased.
About-IGBC

Last edited:
2e-rear-exterior_w.jpg
Yeti was and is an overpriced piece of plastic. Hell I’ve got regular insulated plastic coolers that work just as well. I hope ALL sportsman boycott these aholes.

Funny the Roy and Ryan Seiders both live in austin texas. Thought texas was Pro 2A? Well they are multi millionaires now so they don’t need all sportsman now.

Last edited:
It isn't Yeti that does the certification. They just provide a little sticker but the model and make need to be on the clipboard of the NPR who is inspecting you cooler.

You can search for your cooler in the PDF. If you live, hunt or vacation out west the bear cert and the ice staying cold longer are the two main reasons that hunting, fishing and river rafts guides started using them. A padlock must be in each and every set of holes to be allowed to camp in certain areas. This is where the extra thickness comes into play.

Then as we know the product was "yuppie-fied" or "hipster-ized",

http://igbconline.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/160226_Certified_Products_List.pdf

CERTIFIED BEAR-RESISTANT PRODUCTS
Methods for Complying with Food Storage Regulations on Public Lands

In order to keep attractants unavailable to bears and reduce human/bear conflicts, regulations pertaining to proper food and attractant storage are likely to be present on public lands within grizzly bear habitat. Use of IGBC-certified bear-resistant containers is one of the methods available to comply with many of these food storage regulations. Other methods for food storage order compliance may also be available; for instance electric fencing is authorized in some ecosystems and under certain conditions. Regardless of your public land location or destination, we recommend contacting local land management offices for more details on the use of electric fences or other products and methods that may be used to comply with applicable food storage regulations because requirements may vary by location.

The products listed below are those that have been approved by the IGBC as bear-resistant. This means these products meet IGBC bear-resistant design and structural standards, but it is not a guarantee that a grizzly bear cannot gain entry into these products. Nor does the IGBC guarantee that small amounts of the contents of the containers won’t be able to leak or spill out. This official list of approved products will be updated as needed. Please note that some approved products may be marketed or sold under different brand names.

• Technical Evaluation Protocol is now posted for testing/evaluation of large steel products (i.e. dumpsters, food storage lockers and trash can enclosures). (see Product Testing Protocol)
    • The “Administrative Approval” process has been discontinued. All products must now undergo testing/evaluation.
    • Some fees have increased.
About-IGBC
I'm telling you that padlocks wouldnt have done shit to keep a black bear out of a yeti hard sided cooler. The one above the desk at the ranger station on the kank is shredded. The bear went in through the bottom of it. Looks like the bear chomped at the bottom corner until he got a hole started then pulled the thing apart. It is absolutely a yeti cooler....or was! The yeti logo is clearly seen on it. I laugh my ass off every time I stop there to take a whiz when we are up there on a drive......damn $350 cooler didn't even slow that bear down.

Now.....when I'm back country camping my shit gets tied up in a bag and hung from a tree far out from the trunk. I use an arborists throw bag to get a rope over the perfect fork in a branch. In the campgrounds.....well.....is what it is. If Mr black bear wants my hot dogs and beer he's gonna get what he wants. No $350 cooler is going to stop him so my $50 Coleman is just fine.

Last edited:
I'm telling you that padlocks wouldnt have done shit to keep a black bear out of a yeti hard sided cooler. The one above the desk at the ranger station on the kank is shredded. The bear went in through the bottom of it. Looks like the bear chomped at the bottom corner until he got a hole started then pulled the thing apart. It is absolutely a yeti cooler....or was! The yeti logo is clearly seen on it. I laugh my ass off every time I stop there to take a whiz when we are up there on a drive......damn $350 cooler didn't even slow that bear down.
Once a bear acquires a taste for yeti...

[rofl2]

I'm not saying you are wrong. All I did was LINK the how and why the thicker and locking coolers became a big thing in National Parks. It sucks when you see people turned away from NP camp sites because there is no bear locker and they don't have a certified cooler or other container.

I know how to take care of food in a camp. I used to go to the wilderness for 6 days, every four weeks, for years. Never had anything mess with my food except for other instructors that got the munchies. [laugh] And then deer camp weekends in tents and cabins for years, also without incident.

The only opinion I did express was that what they did was wrong. I will not be buying any more of their products as I now have one I need to get a camp site where required. I got a steal on that one because the owner changed his mind and went with a slide-in-camper with fridge. [wink]

Matt

Back
Top Bottom