• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Yeti drops NRA

I just got my form letter. I'm glad they support hunters and feature them in their ads. I don't hunt. More importantly, I DON'T HUNT. I barely even glamp, let alone camp. I don't own guns for hunting. I don't own guns for target shooting. I own guns because I have a family. And because it's my GOD-GIVEN RIGHT. So IDGAF whether or not they support hunters. I care ONLY whether or not they support the Constitution. And if they choose not to "do business" with the NRA, I choose not to "do business" with them. Sometimes 2+2 just equals 4, whether you like it or not.

The devil is in the details (and the timing). "Customization" is not (necessarily) "discounting", it's producing coolers with "NRA" logo(s) that may, or may not, sell for the same price as regular, or customized, coolers. The questions that come up are:
  1. Did Yeti really offer the NRA this new "customization program" at the same time they cancelled the old discounting program? Hard to tell. It smells like back-tracking, but who knows.
  2. Is the replacement program a better, worse, or essentially the same pricing as before? I'm guessing it's not as good a deal. If it is as good or better, then WIH wasn't it offered up front as a replacement.

Last edited:
Thanks for your form letter. Here is an actual letter, written by an actual person...

I don't hunt. I don't fish. I barely glamp anymore, let alone actually camp. I do however strongly believe in my GOD-GIVEN RIGHTS to defend myself and my family, speak LOUDLY with my voice, and my right to vote with my checkbook. If you have chosen not to "work with" the NRA or supply them with co-branded products, or whatever it is you decided, I have decided to no longer pay for your over-priced products that are no longer produced in this country. Bottom line? You need me more than I need you. I can, and will, buy elsewhere. Will the SJW/Snowflake/Millenial/Anti-2a/SoccerMom crowd that ALREADY don't spend a lot of money on your products make up for the business you are losing from me and my friends? Time will tell, but I doubt it. BIGGEST difference? I don't care, I have choices. You're losing customers.

Sincerely,

XXX, a REAL human being, not a form letter.

All Coolers
pelicanproud-600x600.jpg

Pelican knows who their customers are.

lol if Yeti didn't really intend to go down this way someone f***ed up really bad, lol... of course IMHO it would be impossible for them to withdraw anything without pissing someone off.

IMHO if companies that make these things get involved in political BS they at least need to stay ideologically consistent, otherwise this shit happens.

They'd be better off not getting involved in politics at all unless its intimately tied to their product.

I do have to laugh at guys blowing up their coolers and shit though.... if it pisses you off that much, you're better off just selling it and then rolling the cash into a competitors
product. Otherwise all you're doing is f***ing yourself out of a cooler or the monetary value of that thing. A better means of protest is posting up receipts where you bought like 500
bucks worth of RTIC shit and said "this was going to be a Yeti order, but I guess not". Blowing up the cooler accomplishes nothing because they knew they already got your money... basically
those guys are just laughing at anyone that destroys their shit, because they knew they already made sales there.

This isn't at all like, say, for example, the Hannity Keurig thing, where destroying the coffee machines actually represented a HUGE middle finger to Keurig, because the coffeemaker is just a venue for the
revenue; and killing the machine sent the message of "I'm not buying any more kcups" (which is where they really make their money anyways).

-Mike

Late today Yeti stated back peddling , they let this run all weekend , it was today that they saw that their market presence was going to severely diminish, not to mention retailers dropping them leaving them with inventory they could not move. my bet on today's happening at HQ which is in TX quite a few past employees were rushed out of the building and will not be getting a good reference. RTIC & Pelican capitalize knowing their market is dependent on hunters, fishers and gun users look for one to get the nod from NRA & Ducks Unlimited

I'll even give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they genuinely were adjusting their discount programs.

It was a colossal screw up at this time. Corporate heads should roll.

Gun owners are feeling set upon and abandoned from all sides. Betrayal hurts. The delayed, smarmy, written by a NY PR firm "explanation" didn't help. Proper damage control would have been to immediately come up with a "we'll give $10 to the NRA for every cooler we sell with promo code 'AR15'" press release. Or if they were pissed off at the NRA for their whining, go with 2AF, GOA, etc.

I do have to laugh at guys blowing up their coolers and shit though.... if it pisses you off that much, you're better off just selling it and then rolling the cash into a competitors
product. Otherwise all you're doing is f***ing yourself out of a cooler or the monetary value of that thing. A better means of protest is posting up receipts where you bought like 500
bucks worth of RTIC shit and said "this was going to be a Yeti order, but I guess not". Blowing up the cooler accomplishes nothing because they knew they already got your money... basically
those guys are just laughing at anyone that destroys their shit, because they knew they already made sales there.

-Mike

Yeah. Best thing would be to sell your cooler on Ebay for a nice lowish price. Any used item sold means that the company loses a new sale.

Pelican is also insanely expensive.

Most Yetis see as much backwoods time as the 6" lifted 4WD mall crawlers they ride in. Ten days of ice, when you're never more than 2 hours away from an electrical outlet? It's just status bling.

Just two weeks ago I got a very large and very expensive Yeti and accessories on eBay. Direct from Yeti.
It is a VERY nice cooler.
I wrote a really nice letter to them about returning it.
It mentioned the NRA and making a video for youtube of my friends and I blasting the Yeti on the gun range.
I told them I want a RTIC.

Here is the problem...

Yeti never said they were against the NRA. I think this was bad timing and a corporate SNAFU. ALL other anti NRA sponsors admitted they don't like the NRA.

It will cost me about $70 to send back this cooler. I have to pay shipping.

I will not make that much up my getting a RTIC.

However, it would make up that money by not having an anti 2a brand when I take my cooler to the range around other gun folks.

I'm going to offer them a deal...

Today when I call them, I want some assurances that they WILL support the NRA.

I really think they will not abandon the NRA as hunters are their main customers. Range Roving Yeti yuppies don't need bear proof coolers.

I have some time to think about this and will act accordingly.

I'd appreciate any more related info to help in my decision.

EDIT:

I read their latest on FB.

I think this is all blown way out of proportion.

They have all kinds of hunting and gun stuff on there.

I am not going to jump on the bandwagon and condemn Yeti unless I see proof that they meant to hurt the NRA.

9 hours ago they said they support the Constitution and 2a. There are 20,000 comments.

Lots of people are pissed and many gun owners are supporting Yeti.

Without an admission of wrong doing like all the other anti NRA companies - I'm not buying into this.

Last edited:
WATCH--#BoycottYeti Movement Explodes: Americans Shoot, Slice, Crush, Destroy Coolers | Breitbart

I can't link the video used from faceplant:

WBTW reported that Hartsville, South Carolina, resident Bryan Atkinson loaded his Yeti Cooler with 22 pounds of Tannerite and proclaimed, “This Yeti ain’t ready.”

He said, “Yeti can’t stand behind the NRA, I ain’t standing behind Yeti no more.”

Atkinson’s called out, “Hashtag Yeti, Hashtag NRA, Hashtag AR-15,” then had his friend take the Yeti out in a middle of field and set down the cooler. Atkinson hit it with the second shot and the explosion was huge.

Just two weeks ago I got a very large and very expensive Yeti and accessories on eBay. Direct from Yeti.
It is a VERY nice cooler.
I wrote a really nice letter to them about returning it.
It mentioned the NRA and making a video for youtube of my friends and I blasting the Yeti on the gun range.
I told them I want a RTIC.

Here is the problem...

Yeti never said they were against the NRA. I think this was bad timing and a corporate SNAFU. ALL other anti NRA sponsors admitted they don't like the NRA.

It will cost me about $70 to send back this cooler. I have to pay shipping.

I will not make that much up my getting a RTIC.

However, it would make up that money by not having an anti 2a brand when I take my cooler to the range around other gun folks.

I'm going to offer them a deal...

Today when I call them, I want some assurances that they WILL support the NRA.

I really think they will not abandon the NRA as hunters are their main customers. Range Roving Yeti yuppies don't need bear proof coolers.

I have some time to think about this and will act accordingly.

I'd appreciate any more related info to help in my decision.

EDIT:

I read their latest on FB.

I think this is all blown way out of proportion.

They have all kinds of hunting and gun stuff on there.

I am not going to jump on the bandwagon and condemn Yeti unless I see proof that they meant to hurt the NRA.

9 hours ago they said they support the Constitution and 2a. There are 20,000 comments.

Lots of people are pissed and many gun owners are supporting Yeti.

Without an admission of wrong doing like all the other anti NRA companies - I'm not buying into this.

Honestly, I suspect it probably was a cost cutting thing rather than an anti-NRA thing, but it could have originated from some anti who quietly spun it that way. I don't see how you could possibly look at this move, consider it, and implement it without going, "Hrm, if we axe the NRA discount right now, we might end up looking like we're coming out against the gun owner crowd. Maybe we should hold off for a few more months to avoid the backlash."

I can't see how the program cost them that much more money than pissing off 5 million + people.

Honestly, I suspect it probably was a cost cutting thing rather than an anti-NRA thing, but it could have originated from some anti who quietly spun it that way. I don't see how you could possibly look at this move, consider it, and implement it without going, "Hrm, if we axe the NRA discount right now, we might end up looking like we're coming out against the gun owner crowd. Maybe we should hold off for a few more months to avoid the backlash."

I can't see how the program cost them that much more money than pissing off 5 million + people.
They claim this was a broad swath, not sure what other orgs were involved.

“When we notified the NRA Foundation and the other organizations of this change, YETI explained that we were offering them an alternative customization program broadly available to consumers and organizations, including the NRA Foundation. “

Has NRA made a response to that? I don’t think the NRA should get special treatment, + or -.

I got the form letter response from YETI too.
I don't know if it's just backpedaling/cya/damage control, but it did make me think maybe it was just a really poorly timed business decision.
In any case, I'm glad I chose to write a polite e-mail, and not get overly emotional.

That being said; I wasn't even in the market for a cooler or related items.
But in light of YETI's actions, followed by the statement from RTIC, I might just need to throw some business to RTIC!

Yeti is like Timberland boots. Used to be that they were the go-to for the blue collar type folk who used them for what they were built for. Now they're an overpriced par-for-the-course performing fashion statement or status symbol.

Love my timbs.... My shop boots are a pair of timberlands. I won't wear duckboots, western boots, etc in the shop, and I really don't want to cut up a $300 pair of loggers in the shop, painting, cutting, etc. So I have some timberlands that I don't care about.

Caarhart is the poster child for real work wear gone yuppified. Dont get me wrong the work wear is still good,.....but they certainly branched out into yuppie gear too.

Carhart is still great stuff, everybody produces yuppie clothes. I have great LLbean work/outdoors wear, but they also make some real country club brunch looking clothes. There's always goning to be camp hyatt-ers that want to look authentic.

So NRA fans are doing the same dumb stuff the crazy libs do? Destroying things they ALREADY own? So Yeti loses 0 dollars? If I already had it or someone gave it to me free I'd use a moms demand action branded cooler.
I'd put a GIANT gun sticker on it, but I'd still use it. No use destroying something that's paid for and works.

Nothing screams "I love America" like a Canadian rock band

Seems like the NRA might have over reacted but YETI's response is also weak.

If they were smart and really cared about their hunters, they'd offer a promo code or something to donate proceeds to the NSSF, SAF, etc. Maybe not the NRA after this PR fiasco, but something gun related.

Just saw somewhere that Pelican will donate $10 to the NRA for each of their coolers you buy. Check it out if you are buying one. Screw Yeti.

Any used item sold means that the company loses a new sale.
maybe not. it just means people who wouldn't pay that kind of money for a damn cooler scored one for cheap.

i'm cheaper than that. my buddy has been getting Omaha steaks every month or so for years. he's got a garage full of those styrofoam shipping coolers they send them in. we all know where to go when we need a cooler for a day....and they're disposable. when empty, leave it in the trash before leaving.

Just ordered a Yeti cooler.
Don't like hysterical reactions - not on the liberals side but especially not on our side.
This looks like a very hysterical reaction to a company's decision to end a few of their programs and they even made an offer for alternative programs.
Just because one of them was with the NRA doesn't make this decision anti gun or anti 2A!

Below is the reply from YETI to my e-mail.... So who is not telling the truth?

We're writing in response to your recent email inquiry.

A few weeks ago, YETI notified the NRA Foundation, as well as a number of other organizations, that we were eliminating a group of outdated discounting programs. When we notified the NRA Foundation and the other organizations of this change, YETI explained that we were offering them an alternative customization program broadly available to consumers and organizations, including the NRA Foundation. These facts directly contradict the inaccurate statement the NRA-ILA distributed on April 20.

Further, the NRA-ILA stated in that same public communication that "[YETI has] declined to continue helping America's young people enjoy outdoor recreational activities." Nothing is further from the truth. YETI was founded more than 10 years ago with a passion for the outdoors, and over the course of our history we have actively and enthusiastically supported hunters, anglers and the broader outdoor community. We have been devoted to and will continue to directly support causes tied to our passion for the outdoors, including by working with many organizations that promote conservation and management of wildlife resources and habitat restoration. From our website to our film footage and from our social media posts to our ambassadors, YETI has always prominently featured hunters pursuing their passions. Moreover, YETI is unwavering in our belief in and commitment to the Constitution of the United States and its Second Amendment.

Thanks for reaching out to YETI.

View: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10156250955112270&id=264641617269

This is a great study in business communications. Because Yeti wasn't clear and concise with the NRA, the NRA's members destroy their coolers (and sales/income revenue in the process). Yeti re-affirms their position, and people claim they are backpedaling, and continue to destroy their coolers (and sales/income revenue in the process). I wish I could have done my final MBA case study on this. Instead I'm stuck with a Chinese pork company buying out Smithfield. Damn it all.....

Oh yeah, and I got an email from RTIC saying everything is on sale right now. I have a hard and soft side from RTIC, as well as a bunch of their tumblers. I like them.

Yeti is responding to an extremely organized and well funded (in the millions) effort directly aimed at severing corporate relations with NRA in order to stigmatize any organized effort to defend the Second Amendment.

You probably know of Soros and Bloomberg pumping in over $100 million a year, but other foundations helmed by active Democrats that do "chaitable work" are now pouring in massive amounts of money.

Yeti is responding to this $10 million a year effort:
Guns Down America

It is not hysterical to note the gun ban lobby is successfully blackmailing dozens of companies that have associated themselves with NRA and doing so with a very well funded sophisticated astroturf organ

Just ordered a Yeti cooler.
Don't like hysterical reactions - not on the liberals side but especially not on our side.
This looks like a very hysterical reaction to a company's decision to end a few of their programs and they even made an offer for alternative programs.
Just because one of them was with the NRA doesn't make this decision anti gun or anti 2A!
Shoulda bought it at Dicks.

Back
Top Bottom