• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Yeti drops NRA

Just ordered a Yeti cooler.
Don't like hysterical reactions - not on the liberals side but especially not on our side.
This looks like a very hysterical reaction to a company's decision to end a few of their programs and they even made an offer for alternative programs.
Just because one of them was with the NRA doesn't make this decision anti gun or anti 2A!

Reading both statements, I couldn't say how the change in policy was arrived at or the motivations. Seems like both could be speaking to a set of information and spinning the rest in their favor. Of course my perception is irrelevant given that I wasn't a buyer of their product previously and this has had no positive effect on my buying choice.

I think you do have a point that when people say "keep your products separate from politics" what they always mean is "keep your products away from political items I disagree with". People are pissed that a company could shun the NRA but would be happy if that company donated proceeds or products to the NRA. The biggest problem to Yeti here is that they were second to the presses regarding the change in programs so its hard to suss out if their story changed after everyone was pissed because their only story on record is the one after it all happened.

Reading both statements, I couldn't say how the change in policy was arrived at or the motivations. Seems like both could be speaking to a set of information and spinning the rest in their favor. Of course my perception is irrelevant given that I wasn't a buyer of their product previously and this has had no positive effect on my buying choice.

I think you do have a point that when people say "keep your products separate from politics" what they always mean is "keep your products away from political items I disagree with". People are pissed that a company could shun the NRA but would be happy if that company donated proceeds or products to the NRA. The biggest problem to Yeti here is that they were second to the presses regarding the change in programs so its hard to suss out if their story changed after everyone was pissed because their only story on record is the one after it all happened.

Point taken. They could have posted the message of what they wrote to the NRA to get in front of this unless of course they did intend to sever ties with the NRA thus the reason for the reply posted on several sites.

Politics and religion conversations never end well outside your core group. I have very good friends who don't allow any political talk in their home. Matter of fact I have no idea where they stand on any political issue or if they vote D or R or not at all. This house rule started due to a rabid liberal friend of hers who nearly got into a fist fight at a party. Guy is so rabid he got into my face in a bar over a comment I made about BHO.

Point taken. They could have posted the message of what they wrote to the NRA to get in front of this unless of course they did intend to sever ties with the NRA thus the reason for the reply posted on several sites.

Politics and religion conversations never end well outside your core group. I have very good friends who don't allow any political talk in their home. Matter of fact I have no idea where they stand on any political issue or if they vote D or R or not at all. This house rule started due to a rabid liberal friend of hers who nearly got into a fist fight at a party. Guy is so rabid he got into my face in a bar over a comment I made about BHO.

If they could point at one of those press releases that noone ever really reads that says "We as a company are discontinuing ABC program, but are excited to offer XYZ partnership program and are have been communicating this to all of our valued partners." then it would be an even more dead issue.

Some of this reminds me of the time I was a kid (under 10) and was at the liquor store with my father. There was a woman in the next checkout over that started flipping out because they asked her for ID and was making it out to be a race item. So now she was ranting about how they were asking for HER license but they were perfectly find not carding "the white boy over there". The manager had to just point out "That's a young kid standing next to his father, he probably doesn't have ID to check and if his father is buying the booze for him then that's an issue entirely outside our control." Now I have to look over my shoulder when buying liquor in the case that the woman is stalking me fuming over my still not getting carded.

The facts are that some businesses have snubbed the NRA over political stuff, and so it isn't impossible that its related but it is also possible that people are so worked up over the snubbing that they are liable to see it in everything.

Well at this point it's kind of hard to say whether they were actually terminating a program in general or were just out to diss the NRA and it's members. Either way they have a lot of egg on their face and have done a lot to destroy their brand/reputation. What makes me kind of not believe Yeti's response is they don't give any details of the program, like the names of the other organizations or a "we sent this letter out to the 25 (or whatever the number is) organizations, saying we had decided...".

So as I said, hard to say whether it was just the NRA they were targeting or just a stupid corporate screw-up. But since they give only vague blow off type of info, I lean towards the shaft the NRA scenario. Doesn't mean I'm right, but I think I would need more info to change my mind.

I do have to laugh at guys blowing up their coolers and shit though.... if it pisses you off that much, you're better off just selling it and then rolling the cash into a competitors
product. Otherwise all you're doing is f***ing yourself out of a cooler or the monetary value of that thing. A better means of protest is posting up receipts where you bought like 500
bucks worth of RTIC shit and said "this was going to be a Yeti order, but I guess not". Blowing up the cooler accomplishes nothing because they knew they already got your money... basically
those guys are just laughing at anyone that destroys their shit, because they knew they already made sales there.

By blowing up that perfectly good cooler person says this:

1. I have a need for a cooler, once this one is gone, I'll need to buy another one to replace it ... not from you.

2. They are destroying visibility. Every cooler on the beach has its brand name in the open. Less coolers, less visibility. If you don't seem many Yeti coolers, more people will stay away from buying them. It's like the hip club. People are most likely to buy shit everyone has or they see having.

3. Destroying perfectly good cooler is a statement that the person is a spitefull a**h*** who will not let hundreds of bucks to stand between them and their revenge. It's a statement that Yeti got another pissed off person who will spread hate of them far and wide.

Whatever money Yeti made so far is "sunk". What matters is only how much they will be making next quarter.

Well at this point it's kind of hard to say whether they were actually terminating a program in general or were just out to diss the NRA and it's members. Either way they have a lot of egg on their face and have done a lot to destroy their brand/reputation. What makes me kind of not believe Yeti's response is they don't give any details of the program, like the names of the other organizations or a "we sent this letter out to the 25 (or whatever the number is) organizations, saying we had decided...".

So as I said, hard to say whether it was just the NRA they were targeting or just a stupid corporate screw-up. But since they give only vague blow off type of info, I lean towards the shaft the NRA scenario. Doesn't mean I'm right, but I think I would need more info to change my mind.

Like I wrote, they never posted what the exact original message was. Is there a chance it was misinterpreted? Sure. I don't see anyone running to Yetis rescue.
If it smells and looks like shit there is no need to taste it to be sure.

2 things of note there. One, what is the date of this letter? Two, the letter directly contradicts the NRA's statement that Yeti refused to fulfill an already placed order. Still much grayness.

At this point the same can be said for NRA.

FWIW we just bought a one gallon stainless jug from RTIC for $35. Yeti is $130.

Shop One Gallon Jug, Stainless

Tested it versus the best jug we have, the 34 ounce Nissan Thermos that appears to be discontinued. Heated water to 170°.

8 hours later Nissan Thermos was 155°, RTIC 144°, still drinkable for coffee. They only claim 6 hours for heated stuff, so not bad.

If you are looking to keep your drink hot, a better alternative is to use something that will take the excess energy in fresh coffee and give it back later.

Coffee Joulies™ - Your coffee, just right.

It'll cost you $50, but it will maintain temperature. Not just blazing-hot-to-ice-cold-in-minutes thing. Hold at a good coffee temp for a while.

I use one of the stainless Thermos (16oz these days, but I also have a 32oz version) https://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Insulated-Compact-Stainless-Beverage/dp/B00JFB2RA6
I've had it keep coffee HOT all day long. Even though I would typically drink the coffee before lunch/noon time. There have been plenty of days where I wouldn't pour until later in the day. Piping hot every time. I paid about $20 for the 16oz model when I bought it (about 6 years back now). I typically don't even fill it completely, since I'm only drinking one mug worth (~12oz) these days.

Considering what I paid for it, how long ago I bought it, I have zero complaints. No idea how it would perform out in the woods, in the winter (I work in offices) but I would expect it to do well. For keeping water cold, I have some other items that I use (some insulated, others go into a cooler).

If you are looking to keep your drink hot, a better alternative is to use something that will take the excess energy in fresh coffee and give it back later.

Coffee Joulies™ - Your coffee, just right.

It'll cost you $50, but it will maintain temperature. Not just blazing-hot-to-ice-cold-in-minutes thing. Hold at a good coffee temp for a while.
2.5 stars on Amazon, with 50% of buyers giving them one star. I’ll stick with the thermal bottle and a Zojurushi.

I use one of the stainless Thermos (16oz these days, but I also have a 32oz version) https://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Insulated-Compact-Stainless-Beverage/dp/B00JFB2RA6
I've had it keep coffee HOT all day long. Even though I would typically drink the coffee before lunch/noon time. There have been plenty of days where I wouldn't pour until later in the day. Piping hot every time. I paid about $20 for the 16oz model when I bought it (about 6 years back now). I typically don't even fill it completely, since I'm only drinking one mug worth (~12oz) these days.

Considering what I paid for it, how long ago I bought it, I have zero complaints. No idea how it would perform out in the woods, in the winter (I work in offices) but I would expect it to do well. For keeping water cold, I have some other items that I use (some insulated, others go into a cooler).
We have 16 and 32 oz. They are the best we’ve ever used.

Ha! Catching up on old email and i found this in my inbox:

ALERT! Can't Wait for Your YETI Cover Up Stickers?

DATE: May 8, 2018
TO: USF & NRA Member and Friends
USF Executive Director
NRA Past President

Approximately 100,000 free stickers, proudly displaying the message "I STAND WITH THE NRA FOUNDATION," were distributed at the NRA Annual Meeting in Dallas, Texas last week. These stickers were designed to cover up the YETI name on YETI coolers. They show that you stand with the NRA Foundation after YETI made the political decision to stop doing business with the NRA Foundation.

Last month we urged you to do the following:
"Don’t blow up your Yeti cooler. Don’t shoot your Yeti cooler full of holes. Don’t chain your Yeti cooler to the back of your pick-up truck and drag it down the highway. Don’t glue a toilet seat to Yeti cooler. Don’t hang your Yeti cooler in a tree and beat it with a baseball bat.

"Put a big
“I STAND WITH THE NRA FOUNDATION" sticker on your YETI cooler and keep using it. They cost too much money to destroy to make a statement. Let a sticker make your statement."

The stickers are free and will be distributed at Friends of NRA Banquets and Auctions all over the country this year. To find a Friends of NRA Banquet and Auction in your area and purchase tickets for the event, go here:

https://www.friendsofnra.org/eventtickets/Events/StateMap

If you can't wait to get your stickers and want to make your statement right away, I'm here to help you.

Make a tax deductible contribution to the NRA Foundation and I will mail you 6 free stickers. You can put them on your YETI cooler, your truck /car window, your gun box or gun case or any where you choose.

The NRA Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, charitable organization and contributions are tax deductible.

Mail your check for payable to "The NRA Foundation" to me at the address below. (Be generous it's tax deductible and there is NO LIMIT on how much you can give). Be sure you include your correct mailing address so I can mail your stickers to you.

Marion Hammer
NRA FOUNDATION
P.O. Box 1387
Tallahassee, FL 32302
stand-with-the-foundation.jpg

+1, Here is the link to the video.

Published on Oct 16, 2018
A patient came into my office with recurrent bacterial infections and no one could figure out why. That is until we started to take a look at his lifestyle habits and discovered he was drinking out of the same yeti cup and not washing it correctly.

**Public Service Announcement**

This video is not specifically for Yeti cup owners. This could be pertinent for any cup with a "suction like" seal, it just happens that my patient was using a Yeti. I created this video as a public service announcement to remind people to wash their lids correctly.

I personally love and use Yeti cups daily. I do think that a consideration and redesign of the rubber seal is pertinent for easier to removal to wash. I have now received multiple emails from people saying that they didn’t know how to remove the seal and when they did, they found ‘gunk’ under the seals and sliders.
My hope from this video is not to degrade Yeti, but to bring awareness to the issue.

+1, Here is the link to the video.

Published on Oct 16, 2018
A patient came into my office with recurrent bacterial infections and no one could figure out why. That is until we started to take a look at his lifestyle habits and discovered he was drinking out of the same yeti cup and not washing it correctly.

**Public Service Announcement**

This video is not specifically for Yeti cup owners. This could be pertinent for any cup with a "suction like" seal, it just happens that my patient was using a Yeti. I created this video as a public service announcement to remind people to wash their lids correctly.

I personally love and use Yeti cups daily. I do think that a consideration and redesign of the rubber seal is pertinent for easier to removal to wash. I have now received multiple emails from people saying that they didn’t know how to remove the seal and when they did, they found ‘gunk’ under the seals and sliders.
My hope from this video is not to degrade Yeti, but to bring awareness to the issue.

Stainless dog bowls have rubber on them as well, I rip them off and trash them.

Reference to Rubber(s) & disease: After the lights go out, I take my condom off. You never know what you could catch with one of those things on. When my 14 kids are old enough, I'll teach them to do the same thing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom