XDs recall -- .45 ACP and 9x19

Just received an email from them....

XD-S™ Recall Update 10/04/2013

Dear Springfield Customer,
We understand that our voluntary safety recall has made it inconvenient for you to be without your pistol, and we sincerely apologize for that.
Once your pistol has been upgraded and is shipped back to you, an e-mail confirmation with tracking information will be sent to you at the e-mail address you provided.
If you still have further questions please click the link below to view the FAQ for the XD-S™ recall. If this document doesn't address your question, please call 800-680-6866 or send your question to [email protected]

To receive updates by text message, text XDS to 25827

Why would anyone think the recall is anything other than voluntary?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

Nobody would think that it was mandatory or enforced or anything, but they don't make it sound like a reasonable option.

hFjqtRN.png

+1

and ntomsw if you're re-posting just to gloat, save it. Because I don't need to hear it.

I don't know what to do. Sending my gun is pretty ****ed up though.

Huh? Re posting what?

Why is sending your gun in, ****ed up? It's ****ed up for SA to want to fix a SERIOUS issue??? Ummm, ok.

Last edited:
I'd be interested in comparing their recall notice page today to what it said when this all started.

It hasn't changed much.

Whatever they thought would work originally, isn't working clearly. So now they are looking for a new fix. As of today though, it doesn't sound like they still have a 100% fix. Now, they are saying, "look for an update next Friday on the 11th."

When I spoke to them today, she said they will be fixing the guns, as they came in.

I gave her my serial #, and she said mine was in the batch of some of the first ones to arrive. So that's a good thing anyway. (1 month ago now) People who are waiting until now to send their guns in, will be waiting until next July. Should have done it when the recall first came out like I did, and a lot of other people.

All I am saying is that I am glad I sent mine in the day the recall came out. That definitely puts me ahead of the game. Along with a lot of other people.

How exactly do you figure it puts you ahead of the game when they don't even have a fix for the hypothetical "problem"? You are just assuming that you will be given the "first in, first out" priority.

How exactly do you figure it puts you ahead of the game when they don't even have a fix for the hypothetical "problem"? You are just assuming that you will be given the "first in, first out" priority.

If you re read my post, they said today to me over the phone, they will be fixing the guns as they arrived at the SA facility. So, if you're gun happens to be the very 1st one in line, yours will go first. If mine arrived second, mine will be repaired second. It's not that hard.

It's not assuming. That's how I have been told numerous times, how the guns will be repaired once the final fix is in. First in, first out. Period.

"hypothetical"??? I am pretty sure it's all over the internet now, and even in this thread a few pages back, that this is a real problem. It's amazing how no one in this thread, thinks there is no issue here. If there was no issue, SA would not have recalled 600,000 guns.

Either way, I fully believe they should start issuing vouchers or something for people to buy other SA products. Stuff that don't have these issues.

At this point, they are saying, "no, you bought a gun that now doesn't work right, and you are stuck with said gun, until we find a fix, which could take months."

Not cool. I'll gladly take an XDm 3.8 9mm. My buddy in Michigan owns one, and he loves it. I have shot it many times, and also like it. 19 rounds in the mag is fine with me. This sucks.

Anyone who still thinks that this problem is just "hypothetical" has not been paying attention. I personally have duplicated this slam fire condition several times now. During this period the firing pin is free floating. This is where the problem with ADs can occur.

I think I read somewhere Springfield Armory redesigned the grip safety to work in the ultra compact XDs so it is not the same tried and true setup the other XD models have. So this problem is most likely a back to the drawing board type scenario. That is why I personally think that waiting to see what solution SA comes up with before sending the XDs in for an upgrade is the most prudent course of action. Those who bought this pistol as their primary carry and have nothing else to use are the real losers here. I own and am comfortable with Glocks without any grip safety. To have to tape or pin it on the XDs permanently is of no consequence to me.

Only time will tell what choice is the correct one and I am comfortable waiting until more information is available.

I will send it when everyone else gets theirs. Pointless having SA holding on to it for 5 months. When the recalls died down mine will be in the mail. I tried duplicating the issue and unfortunately NO it's not full auto. Very disappointed.

At this point no, don't send it in.

Wait until they start fixing and shipping them back, and then send it in. Sending it in now, would do nothing but add to the pile of guns they have sitting around.

SA better get this fixed quick, or I'll become even more annoying to them, then I already am. I have no problem calling 45 times a day, until they give me a different model gun.

Just talked to SA right now. They said still no solution...not sure why the corp lawyer would say there is solution. The person I spoke with said they're working on this 24/7 and trying to find a solution to this problem.

I ask the woman to have me transferred to supervisor. She wouldn't do it at first then after convincing, she finally did. The answering machine came on. We left our info. So we shall see.

Silent Assassin = Swine's Nemesis

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Stolen from XDtalk.

I'm glad everyone is seeing this bullshit for what it is. They're treating us like we are idiots and it's not cool. It doesn't take an experienced gunsmith to diagnose an issue. Not going to lie, while I still carry my XDs, I feel pretty disappointed in all this because I really love the gun.

I've had zero issues since last December when I got it. *Shrugs*

It doesn't take an experienced gunsmith to diagnose an issue.

It doesn't?? I am sure they have engineers, gunsmiths, whoever working to resolve this issue. I don't think think they are messing with anyone on purpose. While the situation does suck, I trust them that they will find a solution.

There's always a solution, even if it means replacing the whole slide. Whether or not there's an economically feasible solution is something else. The fact that they haven't figured it out yet is a little disconcerting.

They know theres a problem.
I bet they know the fix.
There are just trying to figure out how to fix it the cheapest way.

So your analysis is that they are holding peoples' guns for months on end, to save themselves a few dollars on machining the parts? I seriously doubt that is what's going on here.

"Hey Bill, let's hold onto 600,000 guns, so we can buy plastic replacement parts instead of aluminum."

They know theres a problem.
I bet they know the fix.
There are just trying to figure out how to fix it the cheapest way.

yep, they are trying to find a bandaid solution instead of fixing the problem. I bet they are finding too big of a tolerance gap so a simple solution will not work for all guns.

Anyone who still thinks that this problem is just "hypothetical" has not been paying attention. I personally have duplicated this slam fire condition several times now. During this period the firing pin is free floating. This is where the problem with ADs can occur.

I think I read somewhere Springfield Armory redesigned the grip safety to work in the ultra compact XDs so it is not the same tried and true setup the other XD models have. So this problem is most likely a back to the drawing board type scenario. That is why I personally think that waiting to see what solution SA comes up with before sending the XDs in for an upgrade is the most prudent course of action. Those who bought this pistol as their primary carry and have nothing else to use are the real losers here. I own and am comfortable with Glocks without any grip safety. To have to tape or pin it on the XDs permanently is of no consequence to me.

Only time will tell what choice is the correct one and I am comfortable waiting until more information is available.

I remember reading your earlier posts about this. When you say that you have been able to "duplicate" the slam fire situation, does this mean that you have made it slam fire at the range while pointed safely down range, or that you have noticed the free floating pin, and assumed that it would cause a slam fire "hypothetically"? Not critiquing you, just asking for clarification. The reason being that several gun designs have a free floating pin that can be seen (or made to be) exposed past the breech face/bolt face, but that doesn't mean they will slam fire.

Back
Top Bottom