WW2 weapon turned in during gun buy-back program in CT

I know very little about these rules and regs. If a person had come across this owner prior to the buyback and had a MG license, is there any legal way to trasnfer it? Like, lets say I knew a guy whose uncle had a BAR and wantd to get rid of it and I had a MG license, is there no way to transfer it without provenance?

If it wasn't papered before May 19, 1986 it is good only for parts and the receiver must be destroyed; it can only go to a PD or a museum left intact.

There is a obvious swastika on the barrel. That didn't clue her in that it might have some historical significance, let alone be valuable? [rolleyes]

Last edited:
Nahant Library and it was almost destroyed but was donated to the Sgt. York Museum.

This is a problematic situation.

A couple of years ago, I was talking with the ATF (in a good way...they were'nt mad at me) and mentioned that a new amnesty program for off-paper NFA stuff should be implememted, as a lot of WWII vets were going to be leavig bring-backs behind, and history would be lost.

The person agreed with me, but unfortunately was not a higher-up.

There was a "town-owned" WWI Kraut MG that had been used in parades in a north shore town (Marblehead?) that the ATF took away, becuae it was not put on paper when there was a chance.....

[sad]

There is a obvious German army eagle on the barrel. It didn't occur to her that it might be valuable? [rolleyes]

Collectively, most people are idiots. She saw a gun, had no idea what to do with it, I assume no one close to her had guns, she turned it in.

My 1st wife's father died about 10yrs ago. He collected all sorts of shit which he presumed valuable. One if his sons is my insurance agent, 3-4 yrs after the death I'm talking with the son and he's says "I forgot you were into shooting!"
Huh?
"When my dad died we went to the local PD with his guns, we didn't know what to do with them."
What did he have?
A couple of old army rifles and three 45's from WW2"

Friggin awesome. The cops were probably fighting over those!

Family friend passed thus year, she was old old without family and left everything to my friend mother (who is like family to me). Found a bunch of "old guns from when her husband brother was in the army" WWII...... I never even got to see them. Side coos did good that day

Collectively, most people are idiots. She saw a gun, had no idea what to do with it, I assume no one close to her had guns, she turned it in.

My 1st wife's father died about 10yrs ago. He collected all sorts of shit which he presumed valuable. One if his sons is my insurance agent, 3-4 yrs after the death I'm talking with the son and he's says "I forgot you were into shooting!"
Huh?
"When my dad died we went to the local PD with his guns, we didn't know what to do with them."
What did he have?
A couple of old army rifles and three 45's from WW2"

Friggin awesome. The cops were probably fighting over those!

I have a bad habit of over estimating people.

Wow - that sucks. It would have been nice to get your hands on those pieces.

Please, please don't call the non-shooters stupid, or idiots. Ignorance is meerly the lack of knowledge.

Many of the posters here would know that it's a valuable item - but how many, here, have walked past a valuable piece of china, or furniture, that was worth multi-bucks, and didn't know it. How would you know, now?

Hell, many of my "scores" at estate sales surprised ME....and I bought the dam things. I once sode a book on eBay for close to $1000. I paid 25 cents for it at a rummage sale, years ago, as a joke. [shocked] The buyer was probably saying about me, "Is this seller an idiot to not know what he had?"

Some people just may not be interested in firearms, or books, or whatever....think about all the potentially pricey comic books that Mom pitched when Junior moved out?

At least the PD "caught" it in time....maybe.

Last edited:
No shit. And I'd make sure that my great great grankids would know what to do with it.

This was something that was addressed in an article I read a few years back, somewhere. It more or less said, "If you collect a type of item, put a label on each with the acquisition date, source, price paid and a periodically- updated value so that your widow won't get cheated."

Man, if I had found a STG44 in my closet no one would ever know about it.

There's a lot of "bringbacks" and other assorted stuff out there. This isn't the first story like this I've heard over the years. A few years back here on NES there was some guy who was cleaning out an old woman's house - and came across a BAR and a few other assorted guns hidden away in her attic. She was old - it was her husband's stuff - and she didn't have a clue as to what it really was. One of my coworkers lives in central MA, in a town where BAR parts were manufactured during WW2. He claims that there's a number of them out there - stashed away in people's attics - that were built from parts during WW2 - like the country song about the guy who built the 68-69-70-71 Cadillac - from parts he carried out in his lunchbox.

My guess is that for every person like this woman who does something stupid and tries to hand in a valuable firearm during a buyback program - there's ten others that are quietly found a better home and nobody is the wiser.

Please, please don't call the non-shooters stupid, or idiots. Ignorance is meerly the lack of knowledge.

Many of the posters here would know that it's a valuable item - but how many, here, have walked past a valuable piece of china, or furniture, that was worth multi-bucks, and didn't know it. How would you know, now?

Hell, many of my "scores" at estate sales surprised ME....and I bought the dam things. I once sode a book on eBay for close to $1000. I paid 25 cents for it at a rummage sale, years ago, as a joke. [shocked] The buyer was probably saying about me, "Is this seller an idiot to not know what he had?"

Some people just may not be interested in firearms, or books, or whatever....think about all the potentially pricey comic books that Mom pitched when Junior moved out?

At least the PD "caught" it in time....maybe.
Normally I'd say you're right, but apparently she knew this came back from WWII. You don't have to know anything about guns to assume that's worth more than a $100 gift card.

Yes, that was a Maxim Gun captured by Alvin York in WW1 which was found in the attic of the library in Nahant.

www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/53083-Nahant-Library-and-Alvin-York-s-Maxim-Gun

It was saved from destruction and donated to Museum of Appalachia in Norris, Tenn.

I went to the Nahant Library to see the Maxim, it was nice being able to see a piece of history. I am disappointed it could not stay in Nahant, but glad it went back to where Sgt. York was from. I remember some supervisory ATF agent in Boston did not know who Sgt York was when he was told how the town got the Maxim.

Here is a picture of me with the Maxim at Nahant Library. They wouldn't let me pick it up or hold it, but I knew the cop on duty and he gave me a closer look at it. Matching numbers and it looked to be in almost mint condition. I offered to bring some belted ammo by the station that night, but he regretfully declined.

MAxim.jpg

looks like a pre ban AR and M1A also... sad. who the hell would trade these guns in to get destroyed?

Surprised that both the cops and the NECN would publicize ANY issue/story that focuses on a gun as an interesting, rare, valuable or otherwise special object. Hope some cop quietly saved the M14.

*snip*
One of my coworkers lives in central MA, in a town where BAR parts were manufactured during WW2. He claims that there's a number of them out there - stashed away in people's attics

*snip*

My guess is that for every person like this woman who does something stupid and tries to hand in a valuable firearm during a buyback program - there's ten others that are quietly found a better home and nobody is the wiser.

I certainly f'ing hope so.

We could use a few BARs pointed in the right direction.

Lots of people say "why doesn't this ever happen to people that are smart enough to keep the guns?!?!" Guess what; it does. They're smart enough not to say anything, too.

Has anyone heard anything more about what happened to that shipping containter full of not AK's found in ?libia?, Whernt they 44's also? All I remember was that it was a story on here a bit ago

Every time these stories of buybacks come up, inevitably a few people suggest going there to intercept the guns on the way in. Has anyone ever tried that? Is it even legal to do so? It seems to me that anyone willingly bringing in these guns in the first place is doing so because they don't want them on the streets and don't know what else to do with them, so it seems like a real uphill battle to try to convince them to sell to some random guy in the parking lot.

Terminator:

Most, if not all, of the people turning the guns in are likely unlicensed, so you can't easily do it in an FA-10. However, an FFL could do it....but the "Is this legal?" attitude will likely intrude.

Everyone knows that you can bring the guns to the cops..... but a CA$H - 4 - GUNS Van might make Nons uneasy.

Terminator:

Most, if not all, of the people turning the guns in are likely unlicensed, so you can't easily do it in an FA-10. However, an FFL could do it....but the "Is this legal?" attitude will likely intrude.

Everyone knows that you can bring the guns to the cops..... but a CA$H - 4 - GUNS Van might make Nons uneasy.

[laugh2]That's what we need! Set up a big box truck with professional lettering so it looks official to fool the grannies turning the guns in! Have a friendly FFL on board to do the transfers too. The only thing (other than the police not liking the idea) that wouldn't work out well would be that in MA, anything non-compliant couldn't be legally transferred to a MA resident.

[laugh2]That's what we need! Set up a big box truck with professional lettering so it looks official to fool the grannies turning the guns in! Have a friendly FFL on board to do the transfers too. The only thing (other than the police not liking the idea) that wouldn't work out well would be that in MA, anything non-compliant couldn't be legally transferred to a MA resident.

The problem is that probably 99% of the guns that get turned in are trash not even worth the scrap value. Sure you might get lucky here or there but not enough to cover the wasted time weeding through the junk.

The problem is that probably 99% of the guns that get turned in are trash not even worth the scrap value. Sure you might get lucky here or there but not enough to cover the wasted time weeding through the junk.

Yeah, that's true, but there have been some nice examples shown in the background of the photos in these threads, especially this particular one.

Back
Top Bottom