WW2 weapon turned in during gun buy-back program in CT

so, they're going to allow her to sell it. Problem is, it's not on the NFA machine gun list...can't wait for BATF to be knocking at her door!!

What a dummy. Her dad brings this piece of history back from the war, and she tries to give it up for a gift card? She doesn't even deserve it back. Let the police department sell it and use the money for the PAL.

This is a problematic situation.

A couple of years ago, I was talking with the ATF (in a good way...they were'nt mad at me) and mentioned that a new amnesty program for off-paper NFA stuff should be implememted, as a lot of WWII vets were going to be leavig bring-backs behind, and history would be lost.

The person agreed with me, but unfortunately was not a higher-up.

There was a "town-owned" WWI Kraut MG that had been used in parades in a north shore town (Marblehead?) that the ATF took away, becuae it was not put on paper when there was a chance.....

[sad]

That was an interesting group of rifles. What looks like an early M16A1 (I'm sure it was semi-auto version) and an M1A. If I am right in my ID, there is still some good money even after you subtract the STG44. MUCH more than the gift card is worth.

Nice to see the police did the right thing here. And that the proper respect to history was shown.

so, they're going to allow her to sell it. Problem is, it's not on the NFA machine gun list...can't wait for BATF to be knocking at her door!!

Doesnt the ATF allow these guns to be added to the list so long as they have the capture papers, considering the papers to be a kind of "pre-registration"?

A couple of years ago, I was talking with the ATF (in a good way...they were'nt mad at me) and mentioned that a new amnesty program for off-paper NFA stuff should be implememted, as a lot of WWII vets were going to be leavig bring-backs behind, and history would be lost.

There was a "town-owned" WWI Kraut MG that had been used in parades in a north shore town (Marblehead?) that the ATF took away, becuae it was not put on paper when there was a chance.....

[sad]

IIRC that was one of the MG's captured by Sgt. York*, and was found under some sheets in the attic of the library or town hall. I think they were allowed to donate it to a museum so it wouldn't be destroyed.

* Credit to Garys for the correction

Last edited:

[sad]
Maybe Scott Brown will do the right thing and file some type of legislation like this....eh probably not....

Doesnt the ATF allow these guns to be added to the list so long as they have the capture papers, considering the papers to be a kind of "pre-registration"?

IIRC that was one of the MG's captured by Audie Murphy, and was found under some sheets in the attic of the library or town hall. I think they were allowed to donate it to a museum so it wouldn't be destroyed.

Sgt. York, not Audie Murphy.

Although I am having a difficult time explaining exactly why, this news story is pissing me off.

Basically, it boils down to the cops running these ineffective gun buy back programs where they never get guns out of the hands of people who are actually going to use them for crime. Then they give away gift cards worth more than the average weapon is worth (from what I usually see) or the other side of the coin is to low ball people who don't know any better - as pointed out, that M1A and the early AR/M16 are worth way more than what someone got for them and were extremely unlikely to end up in a crime either way.

I guess what bothers me the most about this particular story is the cops running a program which basically says "AAAAAAHHHHH - ALL GUNS ARE BAD AND DANGEROUS!!!!!!" and then saying, "Oh, except for this gun which we think is really cool." Something just bothers me about this.

IIRC that was one of the MG's captured by Audie Murphy, and was found under some sheets in the attic of the library or town hall. I think they were allowed to donate it to a museum so it wouldn't be destroyed.

No, the ATF will not allow them to become transferables but yes they will in some cases allow them to be taken into the custody of a museum.

If someone in my family ever turned in any of my guns to a gun buyback after my death, I'd dig myself out of the grave and haunt them for the rest of their lives!!!!![angry][angry]

This $#!^ pisses me off. These "buybacks" in no way reduce crime, these guns were never "on the street" to begin with.

The people who participate in them are all idiots, and would be ashamed if there was still any sense of shame left in this country.

IIRC that was one of the MG's captured by Sgt. York, and was found under some sheets in the attic of the library or town hall. I think they were allowed to donate it to a museum so it wouldn't be destroyed.

Yes, that was a Maxim Gun captured by Alvin York in WW1 which was found in the attic of the library in Nahant.

www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/53083-Nahant-Library-and-Alvin-York-s-Maxim-Gun

It was saved from destruction and donated to Museum of Appalachia in Norris, Tenn.

Although I am having a difficult time explaining exactly why, this news story is pissing me off.

Basically, it boils down to the cops running these ineffective gun buy back programs where they never get guns out of the hands of people who are actually going to use them for crime. Then they give away gift cards worth more than the average weapon is worth (from what I usually see) or the other side of the coin is to low ball people who don't know any better - as pointed out, that M1A and the early AR/M16 are worth way more than what someone got for them and were extremely unlikely to end up in a crime either way.

I guess what bothers me the most about this particular story is the cops running a program which basically says "AAAAAAHHHHH - ALL GUNS ARE BAD AND DANGEROUS!!!!!!" and then saying, "Oh, except for this gun which we think is really cool." Something just bothers me about this.

I agree with the sentiment, but place blame where it belongs. The city/county/state government does this. They use cops as the conduit because we're the only one's professional enough to handle the weapons. I saw something about that on the internet somewhere.

If someone in my family ever turned in any of my guns to a gun buyback after my death, I'd dig myself out of the grave and haunt them for the rest of their lives

To further the point, this gun was taken by someone who was at least close to combat and brought home a war trophy. To think it might have been destroyed by a dumb law kills me.

Last edited:
True, I suppose. But the chiefs of these departments probably have significant input would be my guess. I know you can't blame the individual officers - they have to put up with more asinine programs than just this.

The matter that I was discussing with the ATF was a cane gun, that took fixed cartridges, and was therefore Any Other Weapon under NFA 1934. Since it had not been put on paper the last time that there was an amnesty, it was toast for private ownership.

The ATF people commiserated with me, but the only legal way for it to remain in existence was a transfer to a museum.

I pointed out that a 1911 was more of a "threat", WRT number of shots and concealability than a 38" long single shot, and they agreed....but there was no legit option.

They said, "You could tell the owner (I never saw or touched it) to turn it into the cops."
"Why? So it can end up in some cop's closet?"

They laughed.

WRT Gun buybacks.....of course they don't "work," if by "work" you mean removing unlawfully posessed firearms from the hands of criminals. If, however "worK" means "Show that the police are doing something about the menace of guns," then, for the people that tunrn them in, and the silly people that don't think about this sort of program's effectiveness, then it works, and apparently, quite well, considering that these programs keep cropping up.

Last edited:

me too. i kind of wish someone made them destroy it.

WRT the effectiveness of these programs, it doesn't take a genius to spot the flaws.

If I am a drug dealer and I use my 9mm as protection while I ply my trade, I think we can assume it's more valuable in my waistband than a $100 gift card (however much they were giving out at this particular buy-back).

And if I'm using my 9mm to rob liquor stores, not only is it more valuable in my hands, but why in God's name would I bring it and myself to the police station to risk being ID'd as an armed robber?

These programs are out and out anti-gun propaganda and that is it - they say "ALL GUNS ARE BAD" and they give political groups a platform to say it loudly. By having the police conduct the program they get to make a connection to crime reduction because Duh, if the police are taking guns away it must be helping.

[sad]

I know very little about these rules and regs. If a person had come across this owner prior to the buyback and had a MG license, is there any legal way to trasnfer it? Like, lets say I knew a guy whose uncle had a BAR and wantd to get rid of it and I had a MG license, is there no way to transfer it without provenance?

I know very little about these rules and regs. If a person had come across this owner prior to the buyback and had a MG license, is there any legal way to trasnfer it? Like, lets say I knew a guy whose uncle had a BAR and wantd to get rid of it and I had a MG license, is there no way to transfer it without provenance?
Just as a hypothetical of course. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom