WW2 weapon turned in during gun buy-back program in CT

The problem is that probably 99% of the guns that get turned in are trash not even worth the scrap value. Sure you might get lucky here or there but not enough to cover the wasted time weeding through the junk.
That's the whole point of setting up shop outside of a buyback. If the firearm is a good one, give them 200 cash, if its junk, let the po-po give them a walmart card for it.

What percentage of current crimes are comitted with stg44's?
0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%

Well the crime of turning in a WWII stg44 is a crime in and of itself.
+1

People turn in crazy shit to PD's all the time. About a decade ago, some elderly woman came to my police station with a live WWII grenade her late husband had brought home. And no doubt some of you guys have heard my story about my buddy's friend who tried to turn in his grandfather's 1911 he brought home from the war.

To some people, there's no possible way they can be anything else than super, evil killy machines.

Just as a hypothetical of course. [smile]

Totally.... I don't have a MG license, and my friend's uncle who had the BAR has been dead for 25 years and the BAR is just an after dinner story now. No one knows what became of it or if it even really existed.

All of these Police gun buyback programs should be trumped by Firearm shops. If I was a proprietor of a store and heard of a buyback, I would send out a counter for placing the firearm on consignment in the shop for a PROPER HOME for someone who appreciates the sport. As well, you will do much better than the $100 wally world card...or whatever BS they were handing out.

Some steal money from a corpse others stop ignorant owner from giving away her father’s hard-fought for trophy. Cops are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get. [grin]

Excuse me.......under what provision of any law can that STG44 be "sold"? There isn't any precedence for it, either. Other people/organizations have found valuable WWII and WWI firearms and no exception was made for them.

The bottom line, in my opinion as a C&R collector for almost 20 years, is that the rifle is worth ..........zero......... period. It's simple. It's not registered and since it's not registered and there is no exclusions for it nor is there an amnesty going on, it is illegal to own and can not be made legal. There's a lot of precedence for this. Not too long ago remember the library in Nahant, MA that found a Maxim machine gun in full working order in their attic? They needed a lot of work on the building and discovered that Sgt. York had donated the Maxim to the library between the wars. It was then forgotten. Well, when rediscovered it was estimated to be worth $200k. It never got sold, however. ATF said no.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2007/04/army_yorkgun_070429w/

The fact that the Hartford cops gave some 'reverence" to it is nice but that smg died the day after the last amnesty in 1968. Under Section 207(d) of the Gun Control Act of 1968, Congress authorized the Secretary of the Treasury to establish unlimited numbers of amnesty periods, not to exceed 90 days each, after publication of notice of his intention to do so in the Federal Register. A 30 day amnesty was declared in Nov./Dec., 1968, but none since. Every time another one has been suggested, the BATFE has objected. Why? Your guess is as good as mine. Imagine the numbers of firearms that would surface, become legal, and generate income to the owners, and ultimately the gubmint?

Anyway, at this point, that find might as well be a demilled fake because putting it into a museum is a mile away from seeing it back in. Too bad and the cops simply misspoke.

Rome

Excuse me.......under what provision of any law can that STG44 be "sold"? There isn't any precedence for it, either. Other people/organizations have found valuable WWII and WWI firearms and no exception was made for them.

The bottom line, in my opinion as a C&R collector for almost 20 years, is that the rifle is worth ..........zero......... period. It's simple. It's not registered and since it's not registered and there is no exclusions for it nor is there an amnesty going on, it is illegal to own and can not be made legal. There's a lot of precedence for this. Not too long ago remember the library in Nahant, MA that found a Maxim machine gun in full working order in their attic? They needed a lot of work on the building and discovered that Sgt. York had donated the Maxim to the library between the wars. It was then forgotten. Well, when rediscovered it was estimated to be worth $200k. It never got sold, however. ATF said no.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2007/04/army_yorkgun_070429w/

The fact that the Hartford cops gave some 'reverence" to it is nice but that smg died the day after the last amnesty in 1968. Under Section 207(d) of the Gun Control Act of 1968, Congress authorized the Secretary of the Treasury to establish unlimited numbers of amnesty periods, not to exceed 90 days each, after publication of notice of his intention to do so in the Federal Register. A 30 day amnesty was declared in Nov./Dec., 1968, but none since. Every time another one has been suggested, the BATFE has objected. Why? Your guess is as good as mine. Imagine the numbers of firearms that would surface, become legal, and generate income to the owners, and ultimately the gubmint?

Anyway, at this point, that find might as well be a demilled fake because putting it into a museum is a mile away from seeing it back in. Too bad and the cops simply misspoke.

Rome

I understand exactly what you are saying, but I don't think that was the point in this situation. That 44 is a war artifact that has intrinsic value to a museum, even though it would have little to no actual street value since it could never be sold to the public. The fact that it can no longer be transferred for legal use an an mg hardly negates it's collector value inmo. You bring up a good point about them missing out on revenue by not opening up any more amnesty periods, but that is the whole point, THEY DON'T WANT ANY MORE LEGAL TRANSFERABLE MG'S OUT THERE. The ultimate goal is to slowly disarm the public after all.

Hypothetically speaking if Gramps had registered it during the amnesty period there would be paperwork on it somewhere, right? Or does the paperwork die with the owner if it's not transferred ahead of time?

Hypothetically speaking if Gramps had registered it during the amnesty period there would be paperwork on it somewhere, right? Or does the paperwork die with the owner if it's not transferred ahead of time?
There is a grace period, but my understanding would be that while the gun itself is still registered and transferable, whomever had it after the grace period would be in violation of NFA34 for not having done the transfer. If it was passed as part of an estate, then there is no tax due, but there is a transfer required.

That whole can of worms that you have to violate the 5th amendment to bring yourself into compliance.

Another of many "consult a lawyer" situations...

There is a grace period, but my understanding would be that while the gun itself is still registered and transferable, whomever had it after the grace period would be in violation of NFA34 for not having done the transfer. If it was passed as part of an estate, then there is no tax due, but there is a transfer required.

That whole can of worms that you have to violate the 5th amendment to bring yourself into compliance.

Another of many "consult a lawyer" situations...

Wow, I never thought about that situation, that is a very interesting.

I understand exactly what you are saying, but I don't think that was the point in this situation. That 44 is a war artifact that has intrinsic value to a museum, even though it would have little to no actual street value since it could never be sold to the public. The fact that it can no longer be transferred for legal use an an mg hardly negates it's collector value inmo. You bring up a good point about them missing out on revenue by not opening up any more amnesty periods, but that is the whole point, THEY DON'T WANT ANY MORE LEGAL TRANSFERABLE MG'S OUT THERE. The ultimate goal is to slowly disarm the public after all.

I agree with you. I'm just criticizing the cops for inflating a value here. There's no museum out there willing to pay $20k for an mg of any kind, especially one as innocuous as this one. So, the "value" will be what it'll be to the museum, maybe a couple of thousand? I don't know. Maybe nothing! What do they have to lose? There's no real market for this stuff. The Armory is broke in Springfield and wouldn't be able to pay squat but, in any event, that's where I'd have it sent if I couldn't own it or sell it legally.

Yes, I agree that there should be a lot more amesties as vet continue to die off in record numbers if not only to get more MGs on the market but to get the onus of having an illegal firearm off the backs of old widows.

Rome

I agree with you. I'm just criticizing the cops for inflating a value here. There's no museum out there willing to pay $20k for an mg of any kind, especially one as innocuous as this one. So, the "value" will be what it'll be to the museum, maybe a couple of thousand? I don't know. Maybe nothing! What do they have to lose? There's no real market for this stuff. The Armory is broke in Springfield and wouldn't be able to pay squat but, in any event, that's where I'd have it sent if I couldn't own it or sell it legally.

Yes, I agree that there should be a lot more amesties as vet continue to die off in record numbers if not only to get more MGs on the market but to get the onus of having an illegal firearm off the backs of old widows.

Rome

Ok, I follow you now. Yeah, they shouldn't have speculated on an actual value unless it was legally transferable. It definitely shouldn't be destroyed, though, so if I wasn't able to get a good price from a museum, I would just donate it to a good firearms museum, and have them write me up an invoice for what the appraised value would be so that I could have a good tax write off from it.[wink]

As to your last point, it is a good one, but that is the main reason for these "no questions asked" buy backs. So these widows can get out of that legal liability. Like I said, they don't want more transferable MGs out there, so they won't likely open the amnesties again.[frown]

If they feel they must run these abominations, Why don't they try this instead.

When the local P.D's collect up all the unregistered, illegally owned guns (improper or no license.) why do they destroy them?
IMHO, they should take the ones that have had the serial no. obliterated and only destroy them.
Of the rest, determine if they were stolen, then return them to their rightful owners if possible.
And the final lot could be sold at auction to those who would like to buy them. Now they are in lawful hands.
The money made at auction would reimburse the gift cards purchased, left over money could be used to hire and staff the
FRB so we won't have to wait such a god-awful time to get our licenses handled.

Naive, I know, but possible?

Way naive.

This is not about the towns possibly making money, or doing a service to the community. They know it will do nothing for safety.

It's about control.......period.

Way naive.

This is not about the towns possibly making money, or doing a service to the community. They know it will do nothing for safety.

It's about control.......period.

Exactly, and at the same time to convince the sheep that they got a bunch more evil, killy guns out of gangbanger's hands, even though WE know that's bullshit propaganda![rolleyes]

This is but one single tale of so many that are acted out each and every year. As a collector and a buddy to some really serious collectors, this kind of encounter happens all the time in the field. A buddy once told me he bought out one widow. It was mostly junk but there one or two legal handguns he wanted. That buy also came with a box of "parts" which looked like a jumble we've all got stashed somewhere in our shops. Anyway, he was sorting through things at his home when he immediately recognized an M2 carbine receiver. Now, to the uneducated amoungst us, the M2 Carbine was a full-auto version of the M1 Carbine. A lot of us wouldn't have been able to tell the difference but my buddy knew. Anyway, he had only one real choice here. He took it out in the back on a big boulder along with a 5 pound mallet and turned it into an ashtray then buried it. That's because he, like me, and like 99.999% of all gun owners prefer to stay on the right side of the law regardless of what we think about it. That receiver could have been turned into a nice profit or keeper but it was destroyed as required by law. He said it killed him to do that but that's that.

As I point out in my original reply, there were supposed to be more and regular amnesties announced but there hasn't been one since well before I was a collector, that's for sure! If ever there was a need for one it should be now.

Rome

This is but one single tale of so many that are acted out each and every year. As a collector and a buddy to some really serious collectors, this kind of encounter happens all the time in the field. A buddy once told me he bought out one widow. It was mostly junk but there one or two legal handguns he wanted. That buy also came with a box of "parts" which looked like a jumble we've all got stashed somewhere in our shops. Anyway, he was sorting through things at his home when he immediately recognized an M2 carbine receiver. Now, to the uneducated amoungst us, the M2 Carbine was a full-auto version of the M1 Carbine. A lot of us wouldn't have been able to tell the difference but my buddy knew. Anyway, he had only one real choice here. He took it out in the back on a big boulder along with a 5 pound mallet and turned it into an ashtray then buried it. That's because he, like me, and like 99.999% of all gun owners prefer to stay on the right side of the law regardless of what we think about it. That receiver could have been turned into a nice profit or keeper but it was destroyed as required by law. He said it killed him to do that but that's that.

As I point out in my original reply, there were supposed to be more and regular amnesties announced but there hasn't been one since well before I was a collector, that's for sure! If ever there was a need for one it should be now.

Rome

Although I try my hardest to conform to the stupid laws as much as humanly possible, that situation with your buddy would never have happened! Obviously that was an "out of sight, out of mind" type of situation so no one would ever know he had it, unless he was already in really deep shit anyway, so who cares about one extra charge at that point? I suppose if he was that sheepish, though, he should have just turned it in for a certificate rather than wasting it.[laugh]

Back
Top Bottom