Would this be legal or illegal: open carrying in NH on the NH/MA border?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it legal for someone to be on the NH and MA border open carrying this assumes they stay in NH and stay a number of feet away from the MA border?

Could MA police do anything even if someone in MA called the police? As long as the person stayed in NH? Would they NH police do anything other than just harass you?
Bro, I have this mental image of you standing 5' over the border, wearing that .40 of yours, and going "Nyahh, nyah, nyah, nyahhhh, nyah!!" [laugh]
It's legal for me to go up to Vermont and run around buck naked with a concealed handgun. Doesn't mean I'm going to do it, because it's retarded. So is this idea of yours.
Not to mention somewhat uncomfortable. Remember to file off the front sight and to coat the barrel with KY... it'll be less painful.
I'm blind because I just washed my eyes out with bleach after seeing a pic of a man in a bathroom.
You're afraid that you might get turned on by the sight of a fully dressed man because there's a bathtub in the background? You've got issues, boy. [rolleyes]

You won't get arrested. It's just stupid. As is open carry in the first place.

You are a perfect example of the type of gun owner that makes me scared for our rights in the future. The more you copitulate and bow to the whims of the PC police and the Tom Reillys of the world the sooner we will all be applying for slingshot permits.

Is there a big dotted line designating the exact border point like on the map????

There is along part of the Nashua/Tyngsboro border. Back in the late 80's when they started building the Pheasant Lane Mall, a small corner of the mall stuck over into Massachusetts. In a poorly thought-out display of typical Taxachusetts greed, DOR immediately proclaimed that since part of the mall building was in Massachusetts, they would demand Mass sales tax from all retailers in the mall. In a much better calculated free-market response, the developers had the plans redone, removing the offending corner right at the state line. The modification is readily apparent on the corner of what's been JC Penney's every since they opened. [coffee]

Ken

You are a perfect example of the type of gun owner that makes me scared for our rights in the future. The more you copitulate and bow to the whims of the PC police and the Tom Reillys of the world the sooner we will all be applying for slingshot permits.

You're the kind of gun owner that makes me scared for my rights in the present, so we're even.

If you don't understand the proper value of discretion, then you've got problems.

Open carry is simple and convenient when you're in an environment where there are a large number of people carrying openly. If that's no the norm, then it's a decision to carry as a political statement rather than carry for protection. If you're concerned about the later, you want to carry concealed. Otherwise, Mongo will likely announce his intention to rob the local package store by firing a warning shot through the back of your head. Open carry is like wearing a sign saying "Shoot Me First".

Ken

Wow, traveling and off line for a day or two after posting this and look where this thread went....

Yes I know it is a bad tactical idea to open carry if something bad is going to happen
Yes I know it isn't good to scare the sheep.
Yes I know one can be arrested for any reason and even though one may get off it could cost a lot of money.

No, I probably won't be doing this any time soon. I probably would only open carry in a group, like a garbage pick up or something to that effect that shows we care about the environment aren't are just some gun toating freaks. Or maybe the open carry bar in Manchester...though only if I were the DD and DOCer.

I was just trying to get a lively discussion going on the subject. Which we seemed to receive from a number of people.

Bro, I have this mental image of you standing 5' over the border, wearing that .40 of yours, and going "Nyahh, nyah, nyah, nyahhhh, nyah!!" [laugh]

Well now that you mention it...that would be FUN.... Maybe in that Pheasant Lane Mall parking lot near the line someone mentioned was to indicate the MA/NH border. Considering I still have my MA plates on my car, it could be fun to do once I actually get to the NH DMV and get my drivers license and NH temp plates. Go to that mall and park near the line open carrying, then take my MA plates off and put my NH ones on...in sight of a MA police officer.

Well now that you mention it...that would be FUN.... Maybe in that Pheasant Lane Mall parking lot near the line someone mentioned was to indicate the MA/NH border. Considering I still have my MA plates on my car, it could be fun to do once I actually get to the NH DMV and get my drivers license and NH temp plates. Go to that mall and park near the line open carrying, then take my MA plates off and put my NH ones on...in sight of a MA police officer.

Heh, set up a Ma**h*** border patrol? [laugh]

Is there a big dotted line designating the exact border point like on the map????

A while back I heard about an incident that occurred along the MA-NH border. My memory is quite fuzzy and I heard about it secondhand, so the details may be off.

A MA resident was hunting in NH within a few hundred yards of the border. He had a NH hunting license because that is where he was hunting. He did not have a MA hunting license. Someone in MA complained about him and a MA police officer responded (it may have been a MA Statie). The officer thought the hunter was in MA and arrested him for hunting without a license. He was convicted.

Think long and hard before deciding to pull on the tail of the tiger.

Open carry is simple and convenient when you're in an environment where there are a large number of people carrying openly. If that's no the norm, then it's a decision to carry as a political statement rather than carry for protection. If you're concerned about the later, you want to carry concealed. Otherwise, Mongo will likely announce his intention to rob the local package store by firing a warning shot through the back of your head. Open carry is like wearing a sign saying "Shoot Me First".

Ken

First off I'm not talking about tactics, I'm talking about asserting our rights as defined in the second ammendment. Secondly, I'm not talking about open carrying while also holding a large amount of $$$ or working at a convenience store. I'm talking about the ability to change your jacket without being harrassed by cops or JBTs saying "papers please". You go ahead and live your life in fear of Mongo and the MA police but don't give me BS scenarios about being the first to get shot when that's really not what's being discussed.

[rolleyes]

Any discussion of open carry that does not take reality into account is pointless.

Yet, you found it necessary to not only ridicule and personally attack me, and neg rep me, for noting that it would be perfectly legal but also stupid in practice.

You, sir, are a

troll_norvegia_01.jpg

Anyway, I'm out of this thread.

Last edited:
Guys, let's keep it civil here... if this is going to drift into another "open vs concealed mutual ad-hominem verbal rape fest" then we might as well just lock the thing... but I don't want to do that because a lot of good points (eg, about border issues) etc have appeared in this thread.

[offtopic]

(or at least make a half-baked attempt to. [smile] )

-Mike

I love it when someone has no real argument so they just label the other party as a troll. My responses are not an attack; they are robust debate points that point out what I see as people on our side copitulating to the pc attitudes that pervade MA and, unfortunately, much of NH now. In the part of NH where I live you see people carrying quite often. I've never seen anyone else react negatively. That's because it's not too unusual here. If it were done more in other locales, like it used to be, more people would get used to it as well and start to see it as a positive thing. Basically what I'm saying is that we need to show the general public that good guys carry guns, not just the bad guys.

I'll continue to excercise my rights within the law and as I see fit. When I'm actually in a situation that actually requires me to think "tactically" then I'll do so. This is a very, very rare circumstance; probably for most of us.

I've got a New Hampshire Non-Resident Pistol/Revolver License. I've been reading your posts & maybe I'll come on up there & walk around with my .357 showing and join you New England open carry proponents. I'll just pretend the Masschusetts border is the Illinois border & it will be just like home to me. [wink]

Couple years back, a I was listen to the scanner at my friends house. We heard a shots fired call in Greenfield Ma. The PD's from Greenfield, Turners, Erving and northfield chased the guy all the way to the border with Winchester NH. All towns except Turners called off the chase at the border. At least 2 Turners cars (one of which he hit early on IIRC) followed him well up into NH, at least to winchester.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom