• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Worst gun ever

Taurus 92.....it had a trigger like draggin a log chain down a gravel road with a surprise every time release. Sometimes it would feed a cartridge automatically. Traded it for a new 686 4 inch back when they were kinda a new thing. Never regretted the trade and never even considered a Taurus again.

Custom built 38 super on a Para frame. One of the very "top" shops in the country. $3500 and over a years wait. When it finally arrived the fit and finish were superb. Very very accurate as well. The two or three shots it would fire before jamming all went literally went into the same hole. Went back a few times, finally they got it to the point where it would only jam at major matches where the entry fee was $100 or more. In their defense though those weren't just tap rack bang stovepipes, they were stop and dig it out death jams.

Intrac Arms CAT9

I still have it because it’s amusing in its horribleness.

Trigger like a staple gun, absolutely rubbish sights, and the backstrap is so narrow it hurst to shoot even with mouse-fart loads.

Taurus 92.....it had a trigger like draggin a log chain down a gravel road with a surprise every time release. Sometimes it would feed a cartridge automatically. Traded it for a new 686 4 inch back when they were kinda a new thing. Never regretted the trade and never even considered a Taurus again.
I second that on the Taurus PT92. Had a beautiful stainless one, first time out, couldn't get it on paper at 25 yards. Kept moving closer, and finally at about 25 feet, it would hit paper (sometimes),....all over the place! Sent it back to Taurus and they replaced the barrel. I sold it at a hefty loss immediately. Conversely, I have Taurus 669 6" in 357 that is a tack driver. Has the best trigger of any wheelgun I've fired.

Ive been pretty lucky i think, worst gun i bought was a P22. It ran cci ammo just fine but nothing else. It was accurate enough but more than any other pistol it would spit out really tiny hot lead shavings/burned powder remnants onto my hands and wrists. I had a little buyers remorse on that because i passed on a Taurus 94 .22 revolver for it. Im not saying Taurus is great or even good but i bet id still have that gun.

I also had a Ruger SR45 that was sort of unreliable. It would fail every 30-40 rounds or so. Accurate and comfortable to shoot but decided i couldnt count on it so it went too.

My first Ruger 10/22...which, coincidentally, was the first gun I ever practiced my "smithing" talents on. Oh, sure, the gun came to me in perfect working order, but I fixed it! Now it does nothing but inspire guilt and inadequacy when I see it in the back of the safe. Sometimes I just want to buy another one just to cover up the evidence.

Springfield Model 1842. After 160 years was showing minor surface rust and there was no rifling. Factory would not honor the warranty.

S&W MP45. Had to throw a dull rock at the trigger mechanism to improve the feel from 'dragging an anchor through sand' to 'pulling an anvil over yoga mats'.

I guess I can't really complain about any of my purchases...

Kahr PM9. At least 1 casing per mag would hit the shooter directly in the forehead (had 4 other people shoot it). Sent it back to Kahr. I forget what they did the first time, but they sent it back to me with the same issue, so they obviously didn't test fire / trouble shoot. They fixed it the 2nd time I sent it back when they replaced the extractor, but I was done at that point. Never rmind the horrible trigger reset.

Iver Johnson 22 auto, small copy of the Walther, has the same problem it BITES, Good news it only bites if it fires , luckily its basically a single shot semi auto so you only have to be carefull on the the first shot. Should it actually fire once and reload without jamming its time to put all your money on a lottery ticket because the gods have blessed you that day .

A Ruger lc9. This was my carry gun for a while. It worked beautifully. Yes the trigger wasn't great but I could work with it. It was pretty accurate for a gun of its size. I practiced with it almost every range session. Usually around 50 rnds or so. I would rotate carry ammo out every other month or so. Just as I broke 1000 rnds with it everything started falling apart. The sights took a walk on me. I called Ruger and they sent me a new slide. About a 100rnds later it started ejecting magazines. Called Ruger they sent me a shipping label sent it back. When I got it back it jammed hard every 4 or 5 rnds. Sent it back again. Got it back started off great about 200rnds later started ejecting mags again then started with jams again. It sits deep in the safe now. Can't sell it in good conscious.

Mine was a Ruger RedHawk in 45ACP/45Colt. I may have gotten a lemon, (a $900 dollar lemon) but it had a 50% FTF on 45ACP, and ~10% FTF on 45Colt. Didn’t matter which type/brand ammo. Sent it back three times, the third time I got it back I traded it immediately for about 60% of what I paid.

The other was a Cobra Derringer in 38sp that only fired one barrel. But I only paid a song for it. I ended up trading that for a trigger job on a 320.

Hmmm. Taurus 357 that had tight chambers. Not dirty. Tight. Wouldn't accept a 357 round. Only 38's. And not ALL cylinders, 2 out of 6.

Hmmm. That might be it. Even "cheap" guns I've bought have been good guns. Just not always my cup-of-tea. I didn't like the P3AT because it was just a few oz TOO light to effectively handle the 380 round. It didn't need to be that light. They just made it such. I've also owned a P11 and a PF9. (It ws the PF9, right? Replacemnt for P11?) Both guns were also a bit too light but more importantly uncomfortable to hold. Painfully so. Just something about the shape and material and "checkering" made them unfun to shoot.

My worst gun ever. And the winner is the AMT backup in .380. I bought one brand new in the early 80s, couldn't get through one magazine without a FTF, or FTE, also the slide would bind to the frame.

Another Sig Mosquito hater here. No matter what I did to tune it or ran through it it was either a FTE or FTF machine. Called Sig and they recommended I send it in for a minimum $250 service plus a $50 return shipping fee. Fk that. Traded it towards an omnivorous Ruger SR22 that has been the opposite of the piece of shit Mosquito.

AMT 380 has never given me problems, but then again I forgot I owned it back in the late 1990s.

J&R M68 carbine... worst piece of shit I ever owned.

Jammed on nearly every round (the feed ramp was way too steep, like close to 45%).

It was the second firearm I ever owned, and the only reason I bought it was because I thought it
looked cool. Being a 18 year old city boy stationed in NC and not knowing jack shit about firearms
didn't help matters.

wm_5909767.jpg

S&W Stigma in .40S&W - terrible trigger, first trip to the range 5 internal parts broke. S&W fixed it, I did a function test and sold it.

Yep, worst gun I’ve ever owned - briefly. Only bought it because it was stupidly cheap and I had cash in my pocket and was really bored and wanted to see what all the .40S&W fuss was about. That trigger was like pulling a cinder block across gravel. Would frequently jam if and when it actually chambered a round and fired it. Not comfortable in the hand. Just an all around terrible gun.
Made money when I got rid of it. Not a lot, as most used gun buyers are apparently much smarter than I was, but it covered what I paid for the gun and ammo and the gas to go pick it up, and a few bucks for lunch.

J&R M68 carbine... worst piece of shit I ever owned.

Jammed on nearly every round (the feed ramp was way too steep, like close to 45%).

It was the second firearm I ever owned, and the only reason I bought it was because I thought it
looked cool. Being a 18 year old city boy stationed in NC and not knowing jack shit about firearms
didn't help matters.

View attachment 356815

That IS pretty sexy.

Scanning through the replies quickly, it seems the overwhelming majority are .22 and .380 calibers. Is it just because they're such common calibers or is there some other correlation between crappy guns and these calibers?

Not a POS but for me the worse gun I've owned and fired was the S&W 317. Snappy and sharp recoil. Actually traded it for a Shield with apex trigger job.

Scanning through the replies quickly, it seems the overwhelming majority are .22 and .380 calibers. Is it just because they're such common calibers or is there some other correlation between crappy guns and these calibers?

Probably because any larger caliber would result in them blowing up in the shooters hand.

Probably because any larger caliber would result in them blowing up in the shooters hand.
The idea being what, the manufactures "cheap out" on the smaller caliber guns because they can get away with it without killing anyone? Still seems like bad PR and reputation that could be avoided by just not offering them in the first place.

.22LR and .380ACP are commonly used for inexpensive firearms. "Value engineering" is business jargon for putting all your focus on making things fast and cheap. The idea is that leaning heavily on COGS means you can make your profit on volume. To do this you generally sacrifice reliability, making something that's somewhere between disposable and consumable, and position your product in the "entry level" market.

For firearms specifically, many get sold as "backups," or targeted at women. Many of what you've seen above are so-called pocket pistols. There's a lot of magical thinking going on in this part of the industry. That is, folks buy the gun, load a magazine, and stick it in their jacket pocket "in case." The guns rarely see use/practice, and when they do it's unpleasant enough for the shooter that they simply burn through a mag to say they've done it, then reload and toss it back in the pocket. That use case will almost never see enough wear to find out if the gun is reliable.

On top of this, .22LR is a 136-year-old cartridge design. Rimfire primers are inconsistent by the nature of the design/manufacturing process. The shooting community has generally accepted this. New shooters, not knowing any better, go on to attribute any unreliability to their cheap ammo rather than their cheap gun.

M1014 (Benelli M4 Super 90). My experience with this shotgun was rather short as I did a short evaluation of it while assigned to the Precision Weapons Shop in Quantico. By this time it had already been adopted, but the sample I tested was literally shooting itself apart. You shouldn't need to apply Loctite to a field weapon.

I have quite a few firearm but the one I loved to hate was the Para Warthog. Lovely piece of crap. I remember bitching about it in length here in the past
D9E0798D-B201-4DBC-ADE9-1CF0869152D3.jpeg

I have quite a few firearm but the one I loved to hate was the Para Warthog. Lovely piece of crap. I remember bitching about it in length here in the past
View attachment 356839
I hear PO had some ups and downs. They guys that have ones from the good years love them. The bad years you experienced. I had a warthog and has no issues.
Then again my worst firearm was a Mossberg 500 so that explains that.

Back
Top Bottom