• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Worst gun ever

Partial list
Tanfoglio Tz-75 absolute trash. FTF/FTE Hammer was wobbling was shimmed. magazines cracked at the feed lips thing must have been made with pot metal. never ran right
Auto ordinance 1911 after 500 rounds FTF every mag. even had to grind down slide lock since it was hitting rounds causing nose diving.Hammer binding. then the safety/slide spring housing fell off the frame.....Sold to old guy to make a clone of his fathers WW2 model as a show piece
Yugo Sks blowing primers bad head space had bolt welded fixed myself worked great then sold. Yugo's don't chome line or properly harden their stuff....
T-53 Mosin looked cool (Old guy at range thought the bayonet was illegal) but after every 20 rounds need a 2x4 to open the bolt and bore looked like a sewer pipe.
Ras-47 not mine but guy at range scoffed at my 1889 Mauser went to other end or range then his AK went BOOM. Mag blew out cover hit ceiling not much blood though....

Another Sig Mosquito hater here. No matter what I did to tune it or ran through it it was either a FTE or FTF machine.

There seems to be a lot if Sig Mosquito's listed here.

I have one and never had a single problem with it except the trigger pull is like 50lbs. I usually shoot it first so I can forget the trigger pull with everything else. If I shoot it after I keep thinking the slide os out of battery or the safety is on.

Pot metal Jennings .22, real exciting when you can go through a mag without a jam.
My first gun case involved a Jennings 9mm. I figured there was a 50/50 chance it would not fire and therefore not be classified as a firearm. [laugh] The cert came back positive. [frown]

Keltec PMR-30. It has never been a semi-auto pistol for me.
Ruger LC-9 gen 1 as mentioned above
don't understand the hate for the BG380....they are what they are.
The BG380 sucks because it has a bunch of contemporaries like the LCP etc that are far better guns. The only reason people buy them is they are either smith fanbois or obsessed with ma compliance. They are embarrassingly bad compared to even a Shield or something. I would honestly take my chances with a Taurus 380 before a BG 380...
I hear PO had some ups and downs. They guys that have ones from the good years love them. The bad years you experienced. I had a warthog and has no issues.
Then again my worst firearm was a Mossberg 500 so that explains that.
If you had a warthog that wasn't broken you should put it in a museum or something. I have not met a single person that had a warthog that would function reliably on a regular basis. Back when I used to work the shows the shop owner would routinely politely reject requests from people attempting to trade them in on something....

What was the biggest POS you have owned? What about it caused it to win that title? What prompted you to want it in the first place? How did you finally dump it?

I'm fairly new to shooting, so any gun is more accurate and reliable than I am. My worst experience was with an S&W M&P40 1.0. The mass compliant trigger really sucked, but an apex kit solved that problem. Now it is a pretty nice gun.

Lets hear some bad stories!

Funny, the M&P40 1.0 was my first handgun too, did the trigger right away. Picked up a drop in 9mm barrel & some 9mm mags and have run it as a 9mm ever since and it's not a bad gun. I see a lot of hate on the BodyGuard .380 which I hated hated hated when I first shot it. Then I bought one for my office manager who just wasn't comfortable carrying the Sig238 cocked and locked and it's really not an awful gun, for what it is. Picked one up recently for when I ride my bicycle - cheap, tiny, and I don't mind sweating all over it.

My SigP938 had to get sent back twice so that's probably the worst gun I had. Hard to have confidence in a carry gun you have to send back a couple of times. Plus, as well as it shoots, I prefer striker fire or DAO for AIWB carry which I started doing about two years ago. Sold the P938.

The BG380 sucks because it has a bunch of contemporaries like the LCP etc that are far better guns. The only reason people buy them is they are either smith fanbois or obsessed with ma compliance. They are embarrassingly bad compared to even a Shield or something. I would honestly take my chances with a Taurus 380 before a BG 380...

If you had a warthog that wasn't broken you should put it in a museum or something. I have not met a single person that had a warthog that would function reliably on a regular basis. Back when I used to work the shows the shop owner would routinely politely reject requests from people attempting to trade them in on something....
Wow I had one which I bought off of a friend and never had issues. I traded it to my father for something and he then sold it to a member here a couple years back and that guy loved it too.
A close friend of mine has the same model and had the same experience. Nothing but good things to say. It was his EDC so he had put it through its paces and still loved it.

I have quite a few firearm but the one I loved to hate was the Para Warthog. Lovely piece of crap. I remember bitching about it in length here in the past
View attachment 356839
I have one of the original P10s that later became the Warthog... works reliably with all ball ammo I have tried with it, very fussy about the shape of hollow points, tends to jam and mis-feed the more the shape deviates from that...

I bought a Sig Mosquito to teach my daughters basic handgun skills. I tried everything. Minimags, Stingers, changing springs, wet, dry, polished feed ramp, polished followers, lubed mags, sent it back to Sig TWICE. Never f-ing worked right.

Traded it to a member for a semi-auto Charles Daley shotgun, added some ammo, gave home the full story and all the records of returns. The shotgun had some issues, actually spent some time at the range with @gerrycaruso working them out. Helped, but the shotgun was almost as frustrating as the pistol.

Ended up trading the CD at Blue Northern for a pair of shotguns, a bolt action Mossberg 20ga and a pump Steven's 12ga that I used to propose to Lady Radtekk. Basically gave her a shotgun and THEN asked her to marry me.

So the Sig sucked, the CD wasn't much better, but they ended up getting me her, so how could I possibly complain?
20140719_113946(0).jpg

I have one of the original P10s that later became the Warthog... works reliably with all ball ammo I have tried with it, very fussy about the shape of hollow points, tends to jam and mis-feed the more the shape deviates from that...

One friend of mine had one who stated that his only worked reliably with Rem Golden Saber 230s, which actually kinda makes sense, because those have to be the most reliable feeders for fussy ass 1911s in existence. He said his would run GS 230s, but even choke on ball ammo! That's the part that's mystifying.

-Mike

You need to explain this one. I was raised as an 870 guy, but I’ve never seen any problems with friends who had a Mossberg.
What was the issue?
I had 2 and the actions were both super rough and tight. Not to mention the safety that was flimsy and turned off and on at will or the trigger pulls that literally made me check the safety every time I tried to shoot them.
Like I said I know that people love them and they have a good track record but both of mine sucked. I’m an 870 guy all the way.

Jennings J-22

I have a Jennings J-22 that will go through 3 mags without a hitch. Then the next 3 mags will jam all over the place. Not so reliable.

But the worst gun I ever had was an Auto-Ordnance (pre-Kahr) in the 80s that sucked bad. Pure excrement. I understand that they're way better now.

I was just going to ignore the question since it pages back, but since it’s here I’ll answer it.

No, I didn’t mangle my thumb. I got the warning and tips and tricks from my Dad who carried it in Korea.
He enjoyed shooting it at Chicoms, but preferred to carry a carbine unless he was in garrison. Then he wanted a Thompson. Not quite sure how weapons were issued in the Korean War, but I got the impression records were spotty and you could carry whatever you found.
Anyway, he kept my thumb safe. My issue was: it felt clunky, was off balance, has a short stock, and I just plain think it sucks.

I was just going to ignore the question since it pages back, but since it’s here I’ll answer it.

No, I didn’t mangle my thumb. I got the warning and tips and tricks from my Dad who carried it in Korea.
He enjoyed shooting it at Chicoms, but preferred to carry a carbine unless he was in garrison. Then he wanted a Thompson. Not quite sure how weapons were issued in the Korean War, but I got the impression records were spotty and you could carry whatever you found.
Anyway, he kept my thumb safe. My issue was: it felt clunky, was off balance, has a short stock, and I just plain think it sucks.
My father was an FO in Korea attached to the 8th ROC division... he carried a S&W Combat Masterpiece as his sidearm and a full auto M1a1 Carbine. Got his hands on a Chinese “Burp Gun” at one point but had to dispose of it before returning to the States.

I see a few votes for the Sig Mosquito. I’ll concur since it was ammo picky, but with mini mags it was a nice shooter. I made money selling since I raffled it off when you could do that on FB. Think I got $400 :)

Scanning through the replies quickly, it seems the overwhelming majority are .22 and .380 calibers. Is it just because they're such common calibers or is there some other correlation between crappy guns and these calibers?

Not disagreeing with the other reasons you've received, they all make sense to me. One of the issues with 22LR and 380 is that they are on the lower end of pistol cartridge power, so the available energy to run the pistol is smaller. Combined with cheap manufacturing and crappy designs it becomes a real issue. I had an early Walther P22 where fixing every problem it had that was discovered by it's various owners only got it up to below average reliability. I sold it, and bought a Mosquito. Go ahead - you can call me a dumbass.

It's one of the reasons that so many 22LR issues are met with "Have you tried MiniMags?" It's one of the more powerful 22LR, so it's ideal for breaking in semiautos that need a bit of wear to clean up the action so lower powered 22LR will run.

Another vote for the Jennings J-22. Garbage. Mine was purchased at the Marlboro gun show many years back (2002 I think) and when I went to shoot it the next day, the f*cking thing went full auto by just putting a mag in it and slingshotting the slide. Finger was outside the trigger guard. The breech face had cracked (probably from someone dry firing it over and over) and acted like a firing pin so it was just a worthless $80 felony-in-waiting. I destroyed it and never bothered to contact Tombstone Trading Co. about getting my money back. I think I even bought several more guns from them over the years, with no issue.

Also worth mentioning were two Para Ordnances I owned over 10 years ago. P12 limited and C6 LDA. Both completely unreliable. It's a shame because they both would have made great little carry guns had they been made reliable.

I see a few votes for the Sig Mosquito. I’ll concur since it was ammo picky, but with mini mags it was a nice shooter. I made money selling since I raffled it off when you could do that on FB. Think I got $400 :)
Wow.... they had to have had some of the BBQ sauce to suck for that deal.... [rofl] Lucky bastard.

cosby-bbq-sauce-600.jpg

Love mine. Works great and the combat version grips are very comfortable.
A Bersa Thunder .380. Had an intermittent trigger and in my opinion was an overly complicated trigger design. No wonder it was $200.

Forgot the worst one! A newly made remington 870. It would rust just by breathing on it and would lock up inexplicably. I would smash it to try and get the forearm to move but it would stay put until...with almost no effort it would open right up.

Traded it for a sks. Later traded the sks. Wish i still had the sks.

Hi Point carbine 9mm. Shot well but so ugly and unappealing. Me and my buddy went to the gun shop and they had two different SKS for $400. My buddy grabbed one of them and what do you think I chose? To be fair it was only the 2nd gun I ever bought. Every time I shot the Hi Point he would just laugh. I ended up selling it and getting a SKS instead.

Another vote for the Walther P22. Bought it used FTF from a greasy kid, his girlfriend glanced over a few times so she could remember the guy dumb enough to buy it from the kid. Anyway, it never worked right. Frequent jams, bad ones, spit lead when it functioned, crap trigger, parts of the slide were dissolving away from normal use with std. ammo because it was made from pot metal. The "frame" was two pieces of sketchy metal, split lengthwise down the middle along the gun's long axis, held together by two screws, which would strip. Tried replacing some overpriced parts, made no difference. Wanted to put a dollar bill in it and throw it in a lake, that way I could say I lost something of value.

Another crap gun story: A shooting buddy had a Seecamp something or other, think it was .32 but not sure. He got it back from a factory repair for something. Halfway through the very first magazine post factory repair, the slide launched itself about 20 feet down the indoor range (old) at BRP. Cease fire, need the top half of my Seecamp back. Never saw him with that again.

S&W Stigma in .40S&W - terrible trigger, first trip to the range 5 internal parts broke. S&W fixed it, I did a function test and sold it.

Yep, worst gun I’ve ever owned - briefly. Only bought it because it was stupidly cheap and I had cash in my pocket and was really bored and wanted to see what all the .40S&W fuss was about. That trigger was like pulling a cinder block across gravel. Would frequently jam if and when it actually chambered a round and fired it. Not comfortable in the hand. Just an all around terrible gun.
Made money when I got rid of it. Not a lot, as most used gun buyers are apparently much smarter than I was, but it covered what I paid for the gun and ammo and the gas to go pick it up, and a few bucks for lunch.

I still have my used Stigma VE (Value Enhanced) .40. I use it for a demo when training students (don't let them shoot it though). I installed APEX springs and brought the trigger pull down from about 40# to 10#. [laugh]

It's never used it for CCW and I haven't been able to break it (probably because I don't shoot it enough).

Back
Top Bottom