Woods Gun and Wife Advice

http://homernews.com/homer-news/loc...njured-in-kachemak-bay-state-park-bear-attack

"Kim Woodman, 57, shot the bear five times with a 10mm handgun before the bear fell about 6 feet from him. While backing away from the sow, Woodman fell and accidentally shot himself in the left foot."

"This is not Woodman’s first defense of life bear shooting. In September 1992 while moose hunting near Ohlson Mountain, he shot a brown bear Woodman said was stalking him. According to an Oct. 1, 1992, Homer News article, Woodman injured the bear with a rifle shot at close range and then killed it when the bullet failed to pierce the bear’s skull and it got up."

http://homernews.com/homer-news/local-news/2016-08-03/hiker-injured-in-kachemak-bay-state-park-bear-attack "Kim Woodman, 57, shot the bear five times with a 10mm handgun before the bear fell about 6 feet from him. While backing away from the sow, Woodman fell and accidentally shot himself in the left foot." .... "This is not Woodman’s first defense of life bear shooting. In September 1992 while moose hunting near Ohlson Mountain, he shot a brown bear Woodman said was stalking him. According to an Oct. 1, 1992, Homer News article, Woodman injured the bear with a rifle shot at close range and then killed it when the bullet failed to pierce the bear’s skull and it got up."

That is Homer AK. Serious bears around one parts - as in very large brown bears.

The .357 is fine for anything you're gonna run into in New England.

But if you're gonna get a new gun, how about a lever action .357? It increases the muzzle energy into the .44 mag neck of the woods, while still being light and you have the same ammo for both guns.

One can be had for less than $600, and they weigh a bit less than 5 pounds so it's easy to carry.

Last edited:
In Barre...the lady probably is mistaking a full sized dog for a bear. I bet the oak tree in the back is a sequoia. Just yell at the "bear", (better yet just walk the other way)it will run away unless you are smacking around its cub. You need to worry more about ticks.

Guys, guys, advice about not needing a gun is seriously counter-productive here. The OP's wife basically said "Get a gun." When the better half says that you GET A GUN whether it's really necessary or not.

To the OP, a 12g shotgun would do for general defense, 2 and 4 legged, nothing fancy is needed, get a basic pump gun for around the cabin. Keep accessible in the cabin, stored IAW the law of course.

Since she mentioned handgun I'd absolutely get a large .357 or .44 revolver. Don't know what it is, but my experience has been that there's something about a revolver that women like (yes I know it sounds like a sexist generalization, but my data points are my data points). It should have at least a 4" barrel, preferably 6", and a bit of heft to soak up the recoil. Not so big she can't manage it, which is why I wouldn't go up to 457 or 500. Pick either blued or stainless depending upon her preferences. Get a belt or shoulder holster, and dress around the gun, or just open carry on your own land.

Enjoy the cabin and solitude.

p.s. All the advice about avoiding bears and bear-proofing is really good, just don't miss this opportunity.

any handgun smaller than .44 magnum with cast lead bullets would be ill advised. EVEN here in the NE.

Smoke pole...

S298b.jpg

Western Mass

Its out in Barre MA - she was told by the current owner the concerns are bears - he said brown and black, which I found odd, as well as again, what she said was "wild hogs" -- which I haven't heard of in these parts.

1. GET A MAP! BARRE IS NOT WESTERN MASS, IT'S IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FREAKING STATE!

2. 357 is plenty of gun for around here

3. Get a Ruger .45 LC in either the Redhawk or BlackHawk with both cylinders. Use CorBons for bear defense and practice with either 45ACP or sissy cowboy loads.

4. Get a used Browning A5 in 12Ga

any handgun smaller than .44 magnum with cast lead bullets would be ill advised. EVEN here in the NE.

Assuming you don't get lucky with a center mass shot right off the rip, an average shooter has a much better chance of downing a bear with an easy to control .357 that will be more likely to hit on shots 2-6 than a .44 firing double action with adrenaline pumping.

A 6" barrel would really be better than OP's 4" though.

Ha-ha-haaaa! Bears! Lol.

What you should be worrying abou is turkeys. Those ****ers will attack you.

Yeah, you think kicking a Tom will shoo him when he starts coming after you. That might work on the geese in the Commons, but maaaan a turkey will make you work for it.

I will say a couple things about the wildlife.

1. There are no brown bears in New England
2. There are no wild pigs in New England, yet.
3. Black bears will avoid humans as much as possible.
the only real bear to worry about is one with Cubs.

I don't rally see black bears as mich of a threat. Regardless, NEVER waste an opportunity to buy a gun with the wife on board. Maybe the real question is, what gun do you want? LOL.

"Yes Honey, the guys on NES suggested I buy a Barrett M82A1 because it is the most effective at stopping those blood thirsty black bears in their tracks. You can sleep safe now"

We often have bear sightings in our town and they've never bothered anyone - and people don't bother them either. Having said that, we have a .357 nearby in case of unwanted, aggressive, visitors (2 or 4 legged).

When was the last time anyone has heard of a bear attack in Mass. ? I am not talking about the guy who shot the bear eating his trash cans full of bird food? I mean a hiker stumbling into a black bear.

Thing is, your wife is going to kill you when she is out walking around the woods with a 500 strapped across her chest and she keeps getting passed by yuppy woman jogging with their earbuds in.

I wouldn't be able to resist though. I would insist on hiking the trails with her, and I would take point, and give her two sticks to bang together and make her shout " Hey Bear! " every 30 seconds or so. About once every mile or so, I would stop and do the raised fist " lock it up" signal and turn and whisper " did you see it?"

Last edited:
The only concern is that Im lazy - I mean, is that 10mm overkill for CCW?

I regularly conceal carry a G20. It's a big gun but I don't have an issue carrying it in the summer with a loose T shirt.

And one advantage to the G20 is the 16 round capacity. (15 in the mag, 1 in the camber)

It's going to be easy to miss when your shitting your pants having a bear chase you down. So your limited to 5-6 shots. Verses the G20 you have another 10 rounds ready to go.

If you go the G20 route. Look at the SF version. It's more comfortable for me. And use Underwood, Buffalo Bore, or Double Tap. I found most of the stuff at the store is watered down 40s&w type stuff.

And for the wife, get her a G29

Back
Top Bottom