Woods Gun and Wife Advice

We're very close to closing a deal on my wife's dream to have a cabin in the woods. Don't get me wrong, I'm a writer and Im psyched to have a place to go to concentrate and be calm for a stretch as I like. So we're going through all of the property closing information when the previous/current owner puts a bug in her ear about the wildlife - black bear, brown bear (rarely) and feral pigs - his term, which I can only interpret as boar?

Can anyone tell by this that I grew up in the city?

Anyway, I didn't think all that much of it until I was driving back to civilization with her.

"Chris, how hard is it to get a gun and do we have a handgun that can handle a bear?"

I have to say guys, that question ranks up as the 3rd best thing I've heard from her, preceded only by "Im pregnant" and "Yes, Ill marry you."

SO that got me to thinking - DO I have a woods gun? I own a 686 in 4" that I carry from time to time IWB. Other than that, for handguns, a Glock 30 and that's it.

SO my questions are:

Is a .357 good enough for bear?
If Not, a larger caliber that isn't going to scare my previously anti wife to death?

You don't need to outrun the bear, you only need to outrun your wife.

Wait, what was the question?

15331558.jpg

I've never felt threatened by bears when up to camp, but these days I keep a 4" .357 on my pack.

I grew up in Maine. Used to hike for miles in the woods, unarmed, as a kid. Never had a problem with bears, but they are out there. Also I've always had a dog(s) with me, running perimeter security.

I've seen black bear at campgrounds, loafing around, looking to score some burgers and beer.

If you don't attract them with open trash, bird feeders, etc, they are less likely to come around.

Never had to deal with Brown Bears or hogs.

minimum should be a glock 20 with GOOD hard casts underwood and bbore only really. make sure you learn to shoot it well too. not going to do you a lick of good against a pissed off hog or bear if you can't hit it. Alaska State troopers carry glock 20's as do game wardens up that way.

Tell her to carry the long-range (bear) pepper spray and look into statistics for how many bears attacks there are the area. She'll be fine.

Hard cast bullets, and always make some noise. Those bears can move VERY quickly when they get the urge. Explosive speed.

We're very close to closing a deal on my wife's dream to have a cabin in the woods. Don't get me wrong, I'm a writer and Im psyched to have a place to go to concentrate and be calm for a stretch as I like. So we're going through all of the property closing information when the previous/current owner puts a bug in her ear about the wildlife - black bear, brown bear (rarely) and feral pigs - his term, which I can only interpret as boar?

Can anyone tell by this that I grew up in the city?

Anyway, I didn't think all that much of it until I was driving back to civilization with her.

"Chris, how hard is it to get a gun and do we have a handgun that can handle a bear?"

I have to say guys, that question ranks up as the 3rd best thing I've heard from her, preceded only by "Im pregnant" and "Yes, Ill marry you."

SO that got me to thinking - DO I have a woods gun? I own a 686 in 4" that I carry from time to time IWB. Other than that, for handguns, a Glock 30 and that's it.

SO my questions are:

Is a .357 good enough for bear?
If Not, a larger caliber that isn't going to scare my previously anti wife to death?

Good lord! Buy that woman a diamond ring and a handgun....lol. She sounds like a beautiful woman.

I agree with the poster that suggested bear spray and a little more info about bear attacks. Very unlikely to happen. If you're around here, I would wager that a .357 would be plenty for the local bears, but she'd be better off just making lots of noise and carrying some spray.

44 mag with 300 grn hardcast rounds and a 12 guage with slugs are my go 2.

Western MA

Is this land around here or out west?

- - - Updated - - -

Well I bought her spray, Im just psyched at her interest in having a gun at all. I figure more for the fact that in addition to vacationing, we're both going to use it as a writing retreat and not that I anticipate a problem, would like for her to have the option should she encounter a 2 legged threat.

Good lord! Buy that woman a diamond ring and a handgun....lol. She sounds like a beautiful woman.

I agree with the poster that suggested bear spray and a little more info about bear attacks. Very unlikely to happen. If you're around here, I would wager that a .357 would be plenty for the local bears, but she'd be better off just making lots of noise and carrying some spray.

Black bears out here leave you alone until you get near their cubs or the bear can't find food. A big one is 200# and they can out run any human. Best gun is what you can shoot straight while crapping your pants. Used to hunt bear as a young man, lots of bear out here now.

I've had bears in my yard before, the main thing to prevent them access to food sources and they won't keep coming back. that means trash in bear proof containers and bird feeders, bee hives, gardens, and other potential food sources adequately protected.

One tip I received (but haven't tried yet) is placing foil with peanut butter on it on a new electric fence. The bear will lick or smell the pb and get zapped in the most sensitive spot, thereby learning that the fence hurts. if it just zaps their fur, they won't be bothered too much.

Usually they will run away as soon as they see you, but if you've conditioned them to getting free food from you, they won't.

A .357 is adequate to drop a bear, but since the wife brought it up, it's a convenient excuse to buy 44 or something else.

You're not specifying where this new cabin is, which would change the answer to the question of "Is .357 enough?"

1st: Feral pigs are not quite boars. Russian boars are usually found on hunting preserves around New England, like one place in NH. Then there's wild, aka "feral" pigs. They're not the same species. Most people who hunt any bacon-bearing animals use either a bow, a shotgun or a rifle. Some people do use big caliber handguns like a .357 or a 10mm or a .44 Magnum.

2nd: Black bears can be stopped with a .357 Magnum. Again, you'd probably be better off with a rifle or shotgun for defense. If you want to hunt them, you can use a bow too.

3rd: Brown bears probably would need more gun than a .357 Magnum or a 10mm Auto to definitively put down. However I don't think there are any on this side of the Mississippi.

If I wanted a gun for self defense against furry animals, I would buy a Remington 11-87 or 1100. The 11-87 would have the advantage of being able to blow your shoulder off with a 3.5" slug or shell. The 1100 is limited to 2.75" shells. I find 2.75" Brenneke slugs to be tolerable in terms of recoil out of a pump action shotgun. You could also look for a semi auto 10 gauge, however a 12 gauge would give you more ammo selections to choose from.

Its out in Barre MA - she was told by the current owner the concerns are bears - he said brown and black, which I found odd, as well as again, what she said was "wild hogs" -- which I haven't heard of in these parts.

You're not specifying where this new cabin is, which would change the answer to the question of "Is .357 enough?"

1st: Feral pigs are not quite boars. Russian boars are usually found on hunting preserves around New England, like one place in NH. Then there's wild, aka "feral" pigs. They're not the same species. Most people who hunt any bacon-bearing animals use either a bow, a shotgun or a rifle. Some people do use big caliber handguns like a .357 or a 10mm or a .44 Magnum.

2nd: Black bears can be stopped with a .357 Magnum. Again, you'd probably be better off with a rifle or shotgun for defense. If you want to hunt them, you can use a bow too.

3rd: Brown bears probably would need more gun than a .357 Magnum or a 10mm Auto to definitively put down. However I don't think there are any on this side of the Mississippi.

If I wanted a gun for self defense against furry animals, I would buy a Remington 11-87 or 1100. The 11-87 would have the advantage of being able to blow your shoulder off with a 3.5" slug or shell. The 1100 is limited to 2.75" shells. I find 2.75" Brenneke slugs to be tolerable in terms of recoil out of a pump action shotgun. You could also look for a semi auto 10 gauge, however a 12 gauge would give you more ammo selections to choose from.

I am a 10mm fanboy but the notion that 10mm is somehow a "bear round" is silly. it would be at the very bottom end of anything even remotely effective.

agree w above I would go 12g slug. if needing a smaller system then .44mag is bare minimum IMO. if you want a good combination consider a 44 mag revolver with at 6+" barrel and a henry 44 carbine to match. a 44 mag cruising from 16" barrel is nasty powerful.

for example, a 240gr round from 6" barrel in ballpark of 1250 ft/s ~850 ft/lbs of energy. put the same 240gr in a henry 16" barrel and it will fly over 1600 ft/s ~ 1400 ft/lb energy. i can say from experience the same rounds from revolver will put a wallop on a 2L jug of water, but when fired from the henry the jug explodes. i find it very cool that the same round can be fired from either system (revolver or lever gun, kinda cool). it's cowboy tacticool.

Last edited:
I wouldn't want a handgun for bear. 30-06 can take down anything in north America but If I was actually facing brownies on the reg I'd want a 375 H&H or 338 Win Mag on deck.

If it had to be a handgun I'd probably just say **** it and get a 500SW mag.

Here in New England I'm more than comfortable that a .40 S&W and a small can of spray will take care of local fauna. Out west, I'd want 10mm, .44 or bigger, and real bear spray.

-B

Back
Top Bottom