Women's Firearms Question

Patriot

NES Member
It's a hand size thing....

I know this is probably very unpolitical of me but I am looking for a start
to acquire a firearm for the spouse and wondered what other women are
using for firearms. L-frames are out, K-frames are so-so, so I figure my
next step is a J-frame or something in that size frame but I thought I
would ask anyway to see if I could get a different perspective on this.
As you can tell I have a 'leaning' toward S&W revolvers but she has no
such bias and would just like to get a comfortable gun to shoot. The largest
caliber she wants to shoot is .38 special. She loves .22 obviously (so don't I!).

I'm covered with the .22 for the time being. I am just looking for ideas, not
trying to shop for a gun for her. She can make that decision all by herself
without any help from me.

TBP

Most J-frames are snubbies and thus the recoil is greater than the longer barrel guns. K-frames grips vary so much in size that it can fit a smaller framed person as well as someone with large hands by merely changing grip panels.

My Wife (small hands) picked out the Glock 17 (9mm) and S&W 64 (K-frame .38) as comfortable in her hands (pre-hand surgery). Post surgery she's been real reluctant to shoot anything but the .22.

Don't forget Ruger revolvers also. Charter2000 and Taurus would also be good choices to check, but are not available new here in MA unless you are law enforcement.

My wife has smaller hands and she loved the feel of a full size 1911 when she shot it. She said that it fit perfect. She wasn't crazy about my S&W J frame with stock grips.

It's a hand size thing....

I know this is probably very unpolitical of me but I am looking for a start
to acquire a firearm for the spouse and wondered what other women are
using for firearms. L-frames are out, K-frames are so-so, so I figure my
next step is a J-frame or something in that size frame but I thought I
would ask anyway to see if I could get a different perspective on this.
As you can tell I have a 'leaning' toward S&W revolvers but she has no
such bias and would just like to get a comfortable gun to shoot. The largest
caliber she wants to shoot is .38 special. She loves .22 obviously (so don't I!).

I'm covered with the .22 for the time being. I am just looking for ideas, not
trying to shop for a gun for her. She can make that decision all by herself
without any help from me.

TBP

K frame with proper grips usually works fine.

Hi Jon,

I hadn't thought of that. What kind of 1911 is it?

TBP
The one she tried was a full size Springfield. She hasn't tried my SW1911 (she doesn't know I have one[wink] ). I've let her shoot my service pistol a SW 4043 .40 and she hated it. She went right back to the 1911.

My wife must have tried four revolvers and three pistols before choosing a S&W 1911PD. (And this after saying my Glock22 was "Too heavy & too big.") She just prefers the size of the single stack with the wood grips.

Go figure.

...Actually her exact words were "I love this one, it's coming home with me."

Can't explain why, but the 1911 seems to fit the hand of most people. Gun certainly isn't small, but handles well with little familiarization.

My wife has tried everything I have. She loves the Glock 22 and my Ruger MarkII, however when it came to carrying one, she did not like the feel of compact Glocks, Sigs, HK's - hates my ParaOrdinance, (and .45's in general) and was not a fan of the LadySmith either. Then one day, she picked up a PPK and it was love at first sight. Go figure.... Plus she looks kind of sexy with that stainless PPK...[wink]

My wife has smaller hands and she loved the feel of a full size 1911 when she shot it. She said that it fit perfect. She wasn't crazy about my S&W J frame with stock grips.

I love Glenn's 1911.[smile] I have small hands and like the way it feels.

For what it's worth, my small framed wife likes my Colt 1911 the most. She also likes the Glock 17. She didn't like any of the small pistols (in 9mm or 380) because of the recoil. Funny, she didn't like the Walther P22 very much because it was too light.

Happy hunting,
Chuck

My wife likes 1911's also but on a limted basis. By that I mean she will shoot it but loses interest after a couple of mags.

She has small hands so I got her a 2 model 66's [a 4 inch 66-5 and a 66-1 snub nose] and a 617 4 inch 10 shot.

She loves the 617 and She shoots between 100-150 rounds weekly. The 617 has made her in to a real great shooter. She actually can shoot better than most people I know including myself. She shot a 290 at Moon Island out of a possibile 300.

Since the 617 is virtualy identical to the 66's, when she starts shooting the 66-5 after warming up with the 617 she really shows how the benefits of using a 22lr to warm up with pays off.

Gee, it just happens to be the model you don't have, but always wanted!

LOL! Nope, I have them but for some reason never figured that they would
fit her. We are going to do the hand fitting drill this afternoon and see if
it works. I guess that SW1911 I have in the classifieds is going to have to
stay after all if it works out. She is not getting the Colts though! (I think..)
[smile]

TBP

LOL! Nope, I have them but for some reason never figured that they would
fit her. We are going to do the hand fitting drill this afternoon and see if
it works. I guess that SW1911 I have in the classifieds is going to have to
stay after all if it works out. She is not getting the Colts though! (I think..)
[smile]

TBP

Sure, that's what you think.[laugh] Glenn has lost a few to me.[grin]

Back
Top Bottom