• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Will a Gun Safe Door Stop a Pistol?

I'm getting a safe with 12ga steel plate on door and all sides. I'm thinking about optimal locations to place it, and it occurred to me that I wasn't sure if a safe is cover or concealment from pistol rounds. It's conceivable that you could be accessing your safe when you have to engage a BG in a HD situation. I'm curious if that steel thickness would be likely to stop 9, .40, and .45 (obviously I know it won't stop rifles). If it can I'll be planning it's positioning on that basis. Thoughts?

Someone may chime in and say yes, but are you willing to put your life on that?

If you want I'd be happy to come by and put a few rounds into the door for you, strictly to test the durability of said door.

I wouldn't trust my life to it because most likely not but it better than air in front of you..

Ya I was thinking this, and it's not like I have anything better to hide behind in my house. The other concern would then be how fast the bullet would still be going. If it takes some metal fragments with it, it could end up a gunshot wound with a bunch of shrapnel.

Are you suggesting hiding inside the safe for protection?

Is there a way to get out if you lock yourself inside? I know they put a latch in car trunks, but doubt there's an easy way out of a safe.

Someone may chime in and say yes, but are you willing to put your life on that?

If you want I'd be happy to come by and put a few rounds into the door for you, strictly to test the durability of said door.

You available next weekend?

I'm more crossing my fingers for someone with a story that they've either seen an instance of this or have randomly shot up a broken safe or something to that effect.

i could make myself available.

1. you shouldn't have to go into your safe to get your HD gun. it's useless in there. in there it's a SD (safe defense) gun.
2. even pistol rounds will penetrate, it's probably some thin-ass gauge steel.
3. what are you going to hide for? it's your house. defend it.
4. this thread sucks, just go shoot your safe.

i could make myself available.

1. you shouldn't have to go into your safe to get your HD gun. it's useless in there. in there it's a SD (safe defense) gun.
2. even pistol rounds will penetrate, it's probably some thin-ass gauge steel.
3. what are you going to hide for? it's your house. defend it.
4. this thread sucks, just go shoot your safe.

My HD guns stay handy and loaded and not in a safe... unless I'm not home. I'm thinking in terms of the random what-if, of coming home and needing to immediately access it.

Also only fools go clearing their house looking for trouble. I don't have kids to go protect. I fully intend to stay in place and have surprise on my side when the threat comes to me. No macho, "This is my house" nonsense. Plus I rent. It's not my house...

My HD guns stay handy and loaded and not in a safe... unless I'm not home. I'm thinking in terms of the random what-if, of coming home and needing to immediately access it.

Also only fools go clearing their house looking for trouble. I don't have kids to go protect. I fully intend to stay in place and have surprise on my side when the threat comes to me. No macho, "This is my house" nonsense. Plus I rent. It's not my house...

Do you have an EDC?

I'm getting a safe with 12ga steel plate on door and all sides. I'm thinking about optimal locations to place it, and it occurred to me that I wasn't sure if a safe is cover or concealment from pistol rounds. It's conceivable that you could be accessing your safe when you have to engage a BG in a HD situation. I'm curious if that steel thickness would be likely to stop 9, .40, and .45 (obviously I know it won't stop rifles). If it can I'll be planning it's positioning on that basis. Thoughts?

You should attend an NES Car Shoot. There's one coming up in August, with a pig roast to boot.

You'll be able to answer that question by the end of the day.

I don't have my NH non-resident yet, I unload my EDC and put it in my truck safe once I cross into the free state. As soon as I cross the line back into assachusetts, it's chamber one in the pipe, re-fill the mag, mag in, safety on, and on my way. I can do it in seconds stopped at a light, usually.

I'd suggest you do it in reverse.

Also only fools go clearing their house looking for trouble. I don't have kids to go protect. I fully intend to stay in place and have surprise on my side when the threat comes to me. No macho, "This is my house" nonsense.

camperrrrrrrr. you honestly wouldn't try to engage someone invading your home?

betaHD_zps80c1799d.jpg~original

sorry, but i want to push this thread to epic status.

I don't have my NH non-resident yet, I unload my EDC and put it in my truck safe once I cross into the free state. As soon as I cross the line back into assachusetts, it's chamber one in the pipe, re-fill the mag, mag in, safety on, and on my way. I can do it in seconds stopped at a light, usually.

I'd suggest you do it in reverse.

If he lives in NH, he cannot do this.

If he lives in NH, he cannot do this.

Correct. I'm a felon the moment I cross the boarder with any gun... so I don't.

At this time I can't justify the annual cost and time to go through the absurd process to get a non-res restricted LTC-A for MA, since I still couldn't carry.

Trust me if it worked that way, I'd bring the unloaded gun through MA and reload just over the boarder.

Most home "safes" are made of mild steel so you could just go to home depot or lowes or just about any hardware store and pick up a sheet of 12 gauge steel and shoot it yourself. You could even throw a sheet of drywall and plywood behind the steel if the safe is a fire-safe style. As far as I know even the higher end safes only use hardened steel over the lock pack to prevent drill attacks so most of the door is still mild steel. Only way to know for sure is to try it out.

it's only wrong if you get caught. are you a free man, or a subject?

I uprooted from MA to move to NH to be free, but I don't love the idea of turning my life upside down and never being able to own a gun again because a keen-eyed cop spies my EDC during a traffic stop. Just isn't worth that risk.

And to your question before, I wouldn't absolutely not engage someone to protect my house. With a more open house I'd probably plan on it. I have a nasty tactical disadvantage with the layout of my current house. I still don't see the merit in risking life and limb to chest pound though. I'd rather take them by surprise and survive than get in a gunfight in my house. If you're in a fair fight with a home invader, you did something wrong. I call it a fair fight if he gets an opportunity to take a shot at me.

This. I could open 12ga steel safe with an axe. Get a real safe. Shit the ones Kurtb and JoeT own could stop a howitzer... lol

Trust me I'd love a better safe that what I'm getting. It was hard enough coming up with $900. I just don't have $1500-2000 to throw around for protecting only a few guns. This is only meant to deter a smash and grab, not someone who came equipped for a safe.

Also it is fire rated at 1400 degrees for 60 minutes for my hard drives and DVR.

Back
Top Bottom