• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wife's / Girlfriend's favorite gun?

When my wife came shooting with me last summer, she finally got to shoot my AR... She fell in love with that gun. Driving home she let me know how badly she wanted/needed to build her own. So Santa brought her a stripped lower for Christmas, so she could start building :D

She was afraid to shoot my Mosin M44 too... But after she did, she thought it kicked ass! Sometimes my wife is a pretty cool chick ;)

Still remember the first time I brought her out though. She was petrified to even go near my 9mm PPS. I showed her how everything worked, and what would take place during firing it, and she was 20 feet away when I was finally allowed to fire off one round. An hour later, she was dropping mags and reloading smoothly, and nailing center mass with every shot at 10 yards away. Oh yeah! ;)

Here's her very first shot. Ever.
a938c2ed850286a546b1e66270c94539.jpg

My wife had a very nice Sig P238, but she didn't enjoy shooting it. I let her try my Ruger SR1911 with a nice fiber optic front sight. She fired one magazine through and then said to me "get your own, this one's mine."
Now we have three. And sold the Sig.

That's funny. I could see my wife saying that to me.

I hate my wife's Sig P232. But it's hers. She's left handed and loves it. Doesn't matter if I like it or not, I can use it if I have to.

I built my wife a purple AR, she loves that and her G19.

Was that at the pumpkin shoot? My fiance saw one there and lost it. She's a purple person (if it's available in purple she has to have it in that) and immediately asked me about it...

Lady Radtekk likes my GP100 so much we got another:) I'm not sure which one was mine anymore...

I fully approve of these acquisitions...

My wife had a very nice Sig P238, but she didn't enjoy shooting it. I let her try my Ruger SR1911 with a nice fiber optic front sight. She fired one magazine through and then said to me "get your own, this one's mine."

Now we have three. And sold the Sig.

My fiance just started shooting this fall (we are both about 50yo) and is really liking it. She hasn't shot much, but fell in love with a Beretta 92g - partly because she was able to ring steel at 25 with the entire mag with it.

She is a tall gal with long fingers that she likes to wrap around thick things, so little "ladies guns" have no appeal to her at all. She has issues with her right thumb and is unable to pull the hammer back on any of my revolvers, and as a new shooter isn't so good with DA.

However, semi-auto's she likes. The 92g, my G23 and a Shield 9 with +1 mag, and really liked a couple 1911's she has shot, and they much more her style. She lives in a not-gun-friendly state at the moment. Likely gonna pick something up here for her to shoot when she comes up, but I would prefer to have her shoot some other stuff first before I pick up a gun "for her".

She *REALLY* likes the way the Sig P238 "Rainbow" looks, but frankly I would prefer she shoots one before I run out and buy one. I know that they make +1 mags for it, but my gut tells me that she won't really like how snappy it is. Frankly I am thinking that a full sized something in 9 (like that Beretta, or maybe an M&P) or a 1911 with light loads would be a better 'Her First Gun".

I personally have no interest in owning anything in 9, but don't have a 1911, and lets face it, what gun safe is complete without a 1911? Perhaps I should buy her a 1911 to live up here with me. Then when she moves up she can buy her OWN dam gun, and I will have a 1911. Yes, I am sure that would work. I should buy mysel..-her a 1911 to use when she is here...

As for long guns, she seems to be more into handguns. We did and Appleseed this fall and she messed up her neck somehow and it is still giving her problems. That said, she did enjoy the AR's she fired, but will need one that we can really get the ergonomics right on *FOR HER*. Being tall and long-limbed she found that LOP can be a real issue, especially in Prone/Sitting/Kneeling positions. I figure the way to deal with this is to build her her own AR once she has some time to really get the hang of it and shoot a few that are not your run of the mill M-forgeries. It will, of course, be VIOLENTLY purple. She also liked my buddys Vepr 12 once she got the hang of it.

So, basicly the woman I love likes what amounts to combat weapons. Also fireworks, my other hobby.

How could I not love this woman...

Seeing the title, I'm surprised nobody posted:
My wife's favorite gun is ...
and my girlfriend's favorite gun is....

anyhow, moving right along - my wife likes her Sig P232, followed closely by her Sig P238.

I was confused too. I don't think that my wife has a "girlfriend" but... [wink]

She liked the G19 then hated it.... She fell in love with my 627... now I only clean it. Then there's the 92fs and she fell in love with the P226 in 9mm.
So I'm careful with what she gets to shoot.... It can get expensive.

We just decided that our NES lowers / uppers from the last group buy we got in on are going to be made into our first anniversary presents to each other - matching ARs in 300 Blackout. NESer Nickle (without whom we never would have met) will be coaching us through the build.

First anniversary present - that's polymer, right? Wood stocks are fifth, aren't they? ;) Yeah, I love my wife. [grin]

Uh oh just showed wife this. Is that a cerekote job,?

sent wth crapatalk please pardon any autosubjects

Indeed. She loves it and show's it off to her gf's & co-workers. Even convinced some of her kind-of-liberal co-workers to come shooting.

It's called "Prison Pink", and the job was done by 1776 Gunsmithing on her H&K P30s, and it was a lot less than I thought it was going to be. Great job too, love the work they do.

Shoot me a PM if you want more info / want her to shoot it sometime.

So this past Saturday my wife and I went to the range where she told me her favorite gun to shoot was the AR-15. Have any of you guys had the same experience with the females in your lives? I'm now thinking about building her her own, any suggestions on making an AR even more woman friendly?

My girlfriend came to the range with me probably a dozen times to shoot her SW Shield, but was always very put off by the muzzle blast on my AR (it has a brake on it). Finally one day a 9 year old girl was there with her dad shooting his AR (granted with an A2 birdcage), so my girlfriend conceded, not to be bested by a 9 year old.

She loves shooting the AR now, especially when we're standing in open space, and not under a roof where it contains the blast. Her one complaint is the weight, as she's 100lbs and my AR isn't exactly a super-light setup. I'd say it's her favorite to shoot now, but only for short strings.

I've brought 4 other first-time female shooters to the range and all liked the AR the most, out of a range of pistols, .22 bolt gun, AR, and 12 gauge.

If you're building one, light is key. I'd suggest a pencil profile barrel and an alloy free-float hand guard (like a BCM KMR9, which is 6oz, including the barrel nut). Use MagPul MBUS sights to keep sight-weight as low as possible. If you're using an optic, either do a micro red dot, or even a reflex like the Trijicon RMR. Use a telescoping stock so she can keep the weight back towards her (pin it in position 0 or 1 if you have to comply with some dumb MA rules). If you want to save another ounce or two, use a BCG that isn't the full profile at the rear. I'd imagine that setup could come in under 6lbs unloaded.

Last edited:
My girlfriend came to the range with me probably a dozen times to shoot her SW Shield, but was always very put off by the muzzle blast on my AR (it has a brake on it). Finally one day a 9 year old girl was there with her dad shooting his AR (granted with an A2 birdcage), so my girlfriend conceded, not to be bested by a 9 year old.

She loves shooting the AR now, especially when we're standing in open space, and not under a roof where it contains the blast. Her one complaint is the weight, as she's 100lbs and my AR isn't exactly a super-light setup. I'd say it's her favorite to shoot now, but only for short strings.

I've brought 4 other first-time female shooters to the range and all liked the AR the most, out of a range of pistols, .22 bolt gun, AR, and 12 gauge.

If you're building one, light is key. I'd suggest a pencil profile barrel and an alloy free-float hand guard (like a BCM KMR9, which is 6oz, including the barrel nut). Use MagPul MBUS sights to keep sight-weight as low as possible. If you're using an optic, either do a micro red dot, or even a reflex like the Trijicon RMR. Use a telescoping stock so she can keep the weight back towards her (pin it in position 0 or 1 if you have to comply with some dumb MA rules). If you want to save another ounce or two, use a BCG that isn't the full profile at the rear. I'd imagine that setup could come in under 6lbs unloaded.

[thumbsup]

Back
Top Bottom