• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wife's / Girlfriend's favorite gun?

So this past Saturday my wife and I went to the range where she told me her favorite gun to shoot was the AR-15. Have any of you guys had the same experience with the females in your lives? I'm now thinking about building her her own, any suggestions on making an AR even more woman friendly?

None. My wife has been licensed for years and only carries when I hide one in her purse or car.

I only do this when she drives out of state with the kids to visit family. I call her an hour into the trip to tell her where the secured (and unloaded) gun is hidden.

So this past Saturday my wife and I went to the range where she told me her favorite gun to shoot was the AR-15. Have any of you guys had the same experience with the females in your lives? I'm now thinking about building her her own, any suggestions on making an AR even more woman friendly?

Yes. My wife is a very good shot and has shot a lot of different guns. She prefers a polymer Magpul handguard on her AR even though it's harder to mount stuff on, and it's not free float. She hates the feel of a quad rail even with rail guards on it. Her hands are just that much more sensitive I guess. She has been eyeing some lightweight tubular handguards recently though.

And I tried to rig her up with a Blue Force sling because I thought the single strap for tightening and releasing would be easier. She hated it because of the amount of pull force it requires vs. the VTAC. I had to swap it back out for her.

She also likes a lighter trigger. For a woman with less hand strength than a man, pulling a 6 lb trigger can feel like pulling a 12 lb trigger. I've got a JP Enterprise trigger on one of the rifles and she likes that, but hasn't made me put it on hers yet.

Oh, and she HATES malfunctions, especially when she's the only woman in a training class. I always load her up with the Federal stuff and I shoot the steel and polymer, just to minimize problems.

Now if I could just figure out how to shoot as good as she does.

Same as OP, handgun is Sig P238 she carries daily.
ae3f94721e0762668328fcba49dda322.jpg

sent wth crapatalk please pardon any autosubjects

Yes. My wife is a very good shot and has shot a lot of different guns. She prefers a polymer Magpul handguard on her AR even though it's harder to mount stuff on, and it's not free float. She hates the feel of a quad rail even with rail guards on it. Her hands are just that much more sensitive I guess. She has been eyeing some lightweight tubular handguards recently though.

And I tried to rig her up with a Blue Force sling because I thought the single strap for tightening and releasing would be easier. She hated it because of the amount of pull force it requires vs. the VTAC. I had to swap it back out for her.

She also likes a lighter trigger. For a woman with less hand strength than a man, pulling a 6 lb trigger can feel like pulling a 12 lb trigger. I've got a JP Enterprise trigger on one of the rifles and she likes that, but hasn't made me put it on hers yet.

Oh, and she HATES malfunctions, especially when she's the only woman in a training class. I always load her up with the Federal stuff and I shoot the steel and polymer, just to minimize problems.

Now if I could just figure out how to shoot as good as she does.

Great points thanks! I was thinking of staying away from the quad rails for the same reasons. And also going with a nice light trigger.

My girlfriend has pretty much taken over my noveske 13.7 infidel. Hands off the scar or I'll cut her, though

Great points thanks! I was thinking of staying away from the quad rails for the same reasons. And also going with a nice light trigger.

You're welcome. Another thing--if you go with a non-rail handguard for her, don't try an allen screw/loctite gas block with a mini-rail on it for attaching the forward sling mount. The constant yanking will pull the block out of alignment and she will eventually get short cycling. Lesson learned here. Good luck, sounds like you've got a winner!

Ruger sr22. No recoil or noise.

If you are able to, why not build her an sbr? The front end will be lighter and easier for her to hold up. That in conjunction with a brake that would direct the sound forward should mitigate the increase in noise. The only concern is that a carbine gas system might increase recoil impulse a bit. I am not an AR owner. These are just hypotheses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

460 Mag revolver was her favorite. [shocked] She borrowed it at a WOT event.

Probably will build an AR for her. 'Muddy Girl' furniture will be just her speed. Good ideas above regarding light trigger and high reliability

• SP101 .357, 2-1/4", spur-less hammer
  • M&P 15-22 w/red dot (she really likes this)
  • SR9c

I've got an AR with the same red dot on it, that she's not used yet. The 15-22 was used to get her familiar with the platform.

Last edited:
She stole my S&W model 60 pro. I was all excited to finally get a nice 357/38, and she hogs it at the range.

When I'm away on business, she prefers to keep the dogs a little hungry, and have the G19 loaded nearby.

Back
Top Bottom