• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

White extremism is winning in my Vermont town. I'm selling my animal sanctuary and moving.

mikeyp

NES Member
Wow, what a bitch

The assault-weaponed bullies are winning on my road, and I refuse to weaponize myself to fight back. My town is unsafe if you're non-white or unarmed.​

There’s a movement metastasizing across America. It’s well armed, it’s extreme, and it’s led largely by white men. They’re enraged, they’re feeling entitled, and they’re taking ground wherever it’s given. And while the movement clearly got new wind in its sails under the Trump administration, it’s now self-sustaining. The Jan. 6 insurrection on Capitol Hill was just the tip of this seething iceberg, as last week’s anguished police testimony to Congress made clear. This movement isn’t going away anytime soon.

It’s everywhere. It’s even in Vermont, where I live, which some people mistakenly consider a progressive haven. It’s bullied countless people of color in Vermont – who had to flee their communities because it became increasingly hostile and unsafe for them – and now it’s pushing me out, too. I’m selling my farm this summer, in fact, because the assault-weaponed bullies are winning on my road, and I refuse to stoop to their level and weaponize myself to fight back.

The Wild West of the Northeast​

In states like Vermont, it’s easy to be an armed white extremist. It’s why NBC’s "Saturday Night Live" did a sketch with actor Adam Driver suggesting that Vermont was a neo-Confederate paradise. It is. There’s little to keep you accountable or keep you in check here. The Brady Campaign once called Vermont’s gun laws the worst in the nation. The Giffords Center gives its gun laws a C minus. As one local official told me, this is the Wild West of the Northeast. And as I pack up my farm and move out, this is becoming all too clear to me.

My brother-in-law has lived in Burlington Vermont for over 45 years and I have been there dozens of times. My brother-in-law nor any of his friends that I know own or even have interests in guns. If there are any white extremists in Vermont, I sure as hell have never met one. I'm sure if there are a few whack jobs, aka, GI Joe's, they are not from Vermont. Vermont is full of liberals and snowflakes.

That’s what laws are for, that’s what government is for, that’s what democratic governance is for.

Guess what? That's the difference between a democracy and a representative republican government. In a democracy, the majority wins. Think about that for a minute, person who wrote this bunch of whining hot air. He only wants democracy when it favors him.

Funny how Mr. Shank would never consider that he is the 3 dollar bill in a place where everyone else is normal.

Having a place where all of your neighbors shoot, sounds like somewhere I would want to live.

Typical liberal thinking, change to suit my needs because everyone else is the problem.

Strange that area of the world has a low murder rate and no riots.

It’s always weird to me that “white extremists” vandalize deteriorating OSB sheds and not newer structures.
View attachment 509615
They’re new at this stuff. When you go to art class, they don’t give you stretched canvas to practice on. You start with newsprint and work you way up to better quality canvases.
Consider this the juvenile phase.
OSB =Newsprint.

The guy is clearly a self-entitled drama queen snowflake. But I do recognize that gunfire is loud and disturbing, especially to animals. The argument that "I'm using my own land", etc. falls flat on me when it comes to noise. You may be shooting on your own land, but the noise you emit isn't confined to it. As soon as you have something unwelcome that leaves your property and trespasses onto someone else's, yea, there's a legit gripe there IMHO.. It's like taking a shit on someone else's front steps.

A lot of issues just would not be issues if people just practiced a little consideration for others and tried to be decent human beings as opposed to shitting on each other.... Especially those with differing political views...

This article sounds like both sides could use a shot of decency injected into their lives.

The guy is clearly a self-entitled drama queen snowflake. But I do recognize that gunfire is loud and disturbing, especially to animals. The argument that "I'm using my own land", etc. falls flat on me when it comes to noise. You may be shooting on your own land, but the noise you emit isn't confined to it. As soon as you have something unwelcome that leaves your property and trespasses onto someone else's, yea, there's a legit gripe there IMHO.. It's like taking a shit on someone else's front steps.

A lot of issues just would not be issues if people just practiced a little consideration for others and tried to be decent human beings as opposed to shitting on each other.... Especially those with differing political views...

This article sounds like both sides could use a shot of decency injected into their lives.

Buy suppressors. Problem solved.

As far as noise goes... my neighbor is like this guy. Yells off his porch while I'm ripping quad on my property DURING DAY on a weekend. He can get f***ed. If he prefers that I shit on his porch because it's quieter, I can abide

Back
Top Bottom