White extremism is winning in my Vermont town. I'm selling my animal sanctuary and moving.

Shooting on your own property in a rural environment is not "oppression". You have zero right to tell someone what they can or cannot do on their own lands, and shooting noise is not just common but expected in rural areas.

Is this an "out yourself" thread?

Please cite a single law or ordinance that states shooting noise is both common and to be expected... anywhere in VT... I'll check in regularly to see what kind of mental gymnastics you do to justify your belief that it's okay to be a douche bag who shits on his neighbors.

If your neighbors are cool with it and do the same.. Then more power to you... But if they're not and you continue knowing you're enjoyment comes at the expense of theirs, then you're just a dick... and people like you are why we have articles like this in the national news and why noise ordinances have become necessary. So good job shitting on the rest of us gun owners too... But hey, at least you got to enjoy your own little private range for a bit... That makes it all worth it...

You're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. Common courtesy is dead.... and if it doesn't make a come back it will be one of the reasons we continue to lose these discussions.

This is what pisses me off about MA’s laws forbidding silencers. The real purpose is to mitigate noise for the shooter and those around them (read neighbors when you have enough land for a range). Fortunately my neighbors (there are only 3 within a quarter of a mile of me) are cool with my range, but I do exercise some limits to my shooting there in deference to them. For example, I only shoot the .50 BMG at my club.
This is exactly why supressors are not legal. It helps keep firearms on the scary side if they are extra loud.

In states like Vermont, it’s easy to be an armed white extremist. It’s why NBC’s "Saturday Night Live" did a sketch with actor Adam Driver suggesting that Vermont was a neo-Confederate paradise.

THIS FICTIONAL STORY ALIGNS WITH MY BIASED VIEWS THEREFORE IM VINDICATED

people like this need to be beaten severely

Exactly. This type of New Yorker has an idealized view of Vermont. They think the state owes them the obligation to be the idyllic green picture postcard, red barn, covered bridge vacation refuge of their gay imagination.

Hey, that was good. :)
One of the reasons I prefer New Hampshire to Vermont is, despite our having to contend with the cutie-pies in Viewtaxonia, the sheer volume of them is greater across the river. They think themselves quite clever to live in Vermont.

1. City guy (works for NYU) moves to country
2. Discovers rural communities enjoy shooting
3. Attempts to change local culture
4. Fails but annoys neighbors in process
5. Moves because no one likes him anymore

I fail to see the story...

You don't see the happy ending?

All you could ever want to know about him is online. This guy isn't a homeowner minding his own business, he's an outspoken activist for every last progressive cause.

He's got a PhD in "climate conflict." He's built his entire life around the idea that conflicts can be successfully resolved through negotiation and compromise. People who go into that line of work tend to think all humans are fundamentally good and decent, and that they'll always make rational choices if you can just find the right ways to persuade them. Me, I've never seen much evidence for any of that...

There's no chance that guns will ever have a legitimate place in how he looks at the world.

How does the fact that this bitch decided to deal with his situation by publishing a "evil right wing white supremacists have taken over my town and they did it because of lax gun laws and oh hey check out these cute pictures I took of my farm babies" opinion piece in USA Today get factored into the analysis though? This doesn't have a single f***ing thing to do with noise issues, it's 100% political:
So what are the odds of said neighbors responding in kind and suing the whiny cluck for defamation for calling them "evil right wing white supremacists".

How does the fact that this bitch decided to deal with his situation by publishing a "evil right wing white supremacists have taken over my town and they did it because of lax gun laws and oh hey check out these cute pictures I took of my farm babies" opinion piece in USA Today get factored into the analysis though? This doesn't have a single f***ing thing to do with noise issues, it's 100% political:
I was merely framing my response on the noise issue. That he's a whiney little bitch chasing Unicorn Fart policies is another matter.

"I’ve been involved in disarmament, demobilization and reintegration processes overseas and it’s clear that’s needed here, now."

...then why are you leaving?

This guy...

I hope he's #1 on the door kicking team
Let me translate his gov speak into normal person:

"I was involved" - He filled out forms.
"disarmament" - Someone else did it
"reintegration"- He filled out the forms that sent someone to a 'special' camp.

I've read enough .gov resumes to know what all that means. It's like a PhD in Homeland Security.

He's got a PhD in "climate conflict." He's built his entire life around the idea that conflicts can be successfully resolved through negotiation and compromise. People who go into that line of work tend to think all humans are fundamentally good and decent, and that they'll always make rational choices if you can just find the right ways to persuade them.

You stopped one sentence short. His opinions are always right and conflict resolution means forcing the other party to compromise comply by any means necessary.

Please cite a single law or ordinance that states shooting noise is both common and to be expected... anywhere in VT... I'll check in regularly to see what kind of mental gymnastics you do to justify your belief that it's okay to be a douche bag who shits on his neighbors.

If your neighbors are cool with it and do the same.. Then more power to you... But if they're not and you continue knowing you're enjoyment comes at the expense of theirs, then you're just a dick... and people like you are why we have articles like this in the national news and why noise ordinances have become necessary. So good job shitting on the rest of us gun owners too... But hey, at least you got to enjoy your own little private range for a bit... That makes it all worth it...

You're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. Common courtesy is dead.... and if it doesn't make a come back it will be one of the reasons we continue to lose these discussions.

Officially an "out yourself" thread.

No, people like this Shank c*** - overly empowered and amplified professional political activists - are the reason why we have articles like this in the national news and why we have a million laws and regulations restricting gun rights on the books:

Yet you continue to defend him on here based on (only) his side of the story as presented in a USA Today opinion piece.

What’s most frustrating, beyond losing the farm, is how normalized this armed bully behavior is becoming in Vermont and across America. This is a dangerous slippery slope, as other war zones can testify. We’re patterning their destabilizing trends to a tee. I’ve been involved in disarmament, demobilization and reintegration processes overseas and it’s clear that’s needed here, now.

Noting his CV says Afghanistan and Iraq, he's been intimately involved in failure of disarmament, demobilization, and reintegration.

And we should intend to keep him a failure here.

The guy is clearly a self-entitled drama queen snowflake. But I do recognize that gunfire is loud and disturbing, especially to animals. The argument that "I'm using my own land", etc. falls flat on me when it comes to noise. You may be shooting on your own land, but the noise you emit isn't confined to it. As soon as you have something unwelcome that leaves your property and trespasses onto someone else's, yea, there's a legit gripe there IMHO.. It's like taking a shit on someone else's front steps.

A lot of issues just would not be issues if people just practiced a little consideration for others and tried to be decent human beings as opposed to shitting on each other.... Especially those with differing political views...

This article sounds like both sides could use a shot of decency injected into their lives.
The guy never mentioned going over as a neighbor and politely asking them if they could limit the shooting to certain hours. It sounds like he went straight to the town to institute an ordnance and impose his will on his neighbors with the local government’s authority for punishment. I’d do more retaliatory shooting too, if he did such a Karen move like that. Maybe he did try to be neighborly and actually talk with them first, but he didn’t say he did.

Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine have the lowest rates of homicide by firearm per 100,000 citzens of all the other states in the country AND all three recognize the Right of Constitutional Carry. This places them well ahead of all the states that have abusive laws and high murder rates. Pretty obvious to me that public safety is rooted dominantly in the character of a state's residents and has little to do with any misguided laws and regulations that may be implemented.

Wow, spoken like a true Ma**h***.

But in the end, after all his bitching, writing to the paper how fed up he is. He's willing to give it 'a few more years'. f***ing attention whore.

-snip-

This is how nations become war zones​

I’m on a short leash with this state and give it a few more years to restrain its armed white extremists or I’m gone. This isn’t worth life and limb. Others have already left for similar reasons, which portends poorly for a state already in population decline.

Back
Top Bottom