Which One Is Better For Long Range Shooting

Which Leupold and how does it compare to the Vortex? I was under the impression that Vortex is a lot of glass for the $.

I’ve settled that it’s between the Mark 5 or Mark 6, most likely in a 5-25 x 50 or 55. I had one issue with the Votex during a match where it was stuck between two clicks. When I forced it a little it just turned. They quickly replaced it and I have had no issue. My issue with it is it’s the wrong scope for the Q rifle. The Q improved my scores over the RPR but this scope limits it to a long range rifle. The Vortex is over 40 ounces and it’s freaking huge. I will find a home for it at some point, it’s a good scope in a narrow role. So really the biggest issue with the Vortex is I bought the wrong scope for how I wanted to use the rifle. With the sun shade on that scope it looks like a rifle with a ballistic missle mounted on top.

Can't answer for JRT, but I have both Vortex and Leupold glass, various models. I've had excellent service from the Leupold LRP- I forget the exact model but it's a first focal plane in mils.

VX-3i LRP Rifle Scope | Leupold

Wow, they've gone up a bit, though I'm sure there are deals from various vendors. Not huge, not heavy, perfect repeatability so far in terms of clicks out and clicks back in to zero.

Can't answer for JRT, but I have both Vortex and Leupold glass, various models. I've had excellent service from the Leupold LRP- I forget the exact model but it's a first focal plane in mils.

VX-3i LRP Rifle Scope | Leupold

Wow, they've gone up a bit, though I'm sure there are deals from various vendors. Not huge, not heavy, perfect repeatability so far in terms of clicks out and clicks back in to zero.

Side focus is a really nice feature you may not know you need!

So do you prefer Leupold over Vortex?

I have a Leupold VH 6HD on my 26 Nosler deer/elk rifle and it’s the best scope I have ever owned. I hoping the same for the Mark 5 on my precision rifle, I think it’s the one, finally. Live and learn.

I like reading these threads and I don’t feel so bad on deciding to build my long range 200 yard 22lr rigs:
I bought more Tenex the other day and looking to buy another scope so I don’t have to keep switching between rifles.
I have a “stupid” 10/22 build and a old as sknot 513t that on good days with no wind still gets MOA. My challenge is not shooting small groups it’s actually getting them in the center of the target.

How much better are those style riffles over a $600 savage bolt action in 308 with "Accu trigger" and "AccuStock"

A lot of it has to do with how much you are shooting it.

It seems that you are alluding to the idea of a typical bolt action hunting rifle vs these guns. The biggest difference is that a hunting rifle has a thin barrel and can't continually deliver high accuracy. For example. I have a Browning A-Bolt Micro that I use for deer hunting. With my handloads, its a1.2 MOA rifle.

but if you just sit down and blast out a 5 round group, it will start walking by the 3rd round. I'm talking like 3 MOA. The skinny barrel heats up and its stiffness changes enough to affect where the shots go.

But if I start with a cold barrel and take 2 shots, then open the bolt and rack the gun for 15 minutes with the bolt open, then 2 more shots, its a 1.2 MOA gun.

Also, please remember that I'm talking about an average group size with 5 shot groups. If I used "cheater" stats of selecting my best 3 shot group, its a sub-MOA gun.

In contrast, I can shoot all day with my Savage FCP SR (24" barrel, in an XLR element chassis, with a Sightron 50mm scope on it, weight about 12 lbs) and it doesn't start to walk.

A hunting gun is intended to be carried a lot and shot a little. Cutting down weight is great.

A "precision rifle", may not be much more precise, but its accuracy doesn't diminsh as its shot and it doesn't beat you up in the process.

What is sub MOA at 200 yards? MOA is not distance dependent. You mean to say it's sub MOA or Sub 2" at 200 yards. Or sub 1" at 100 yards. Or 3 at 3 etc. hate to be that guy but I keep seeing this and it doesn't make sense

Guess im not up on the proper saying. What should I call a legitimate cloverleaf at 200 yards? [thinking]

Slapshot - what rockrivr is saying makes perfect sense. Because different rifles stabilize bullets better than others, a 1 MOA rifle at 100 yards may become a 1.5 moa rifle at 200 yards. Yes, the angle changes.
Further - wind can change things. Since lateral drift from wind varies as a square function of the wind, the wind will blow a round 4x as much at 200 yards as it does at 100 yards.

If bullets were traveling in a vacuum, your point would be valid. But they aren't. So bullet wobble as well as wind drift can make a 100 yard 1 moa gun a 3 moa at 500 yards.

I'm late to the party here.
I shoot long range down in PA, 1000yd silhouette.
I use this rifle chambered in .308.

Savage Arms - 12 F/TR - P01072

I mounted this scope on it using a 20 min base and Weaver 6 hole tactical rings.

https://www.amazon.com/Sightron-10-50x60mm-Range-Rifle-Scope/dp/B003DVJ4LO

I spent less than $2000.00 for everything to assemble it.

I use Lapua brass and 175 grain SMK bullets.
CCI BR-2 primers.
43.8 grains of Varget.
.013 jump to the lands.

If I'm not shooting long range Black Powder, I'm shooting this.

It's called VBR. Varmit Bench Rest.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfeaYnh9lps

You have 1 minute to shoot sighter shots at a softball sized target.
A 30 second break and then 2 minutes to shoot 5 shots for score.
One shot per animal, 5 animals, 5 shots.
If it doesn't fall over it's a miss.
Bank #3 are ground hogs @ 900 yds.
They're about the size of a 2 liter soda bottle.

It's not me shooting, it's one of my friends.
He's using a .308 with Berger 175 grn. VLD Target bullets and a similar load using Varget.
I know the various 6.5's are the darling of the day and many folks down in PA use the 6.5-284 Norma for long range work.
Somewhere I have photo's of shot up dice on the ground at the 900 yd target rails.

One thing about the old .308, if you don't or can't handload, .308 ammo is everywhere.
I'm a fan of it and have bolt guns and AR platform rifles chambered for it.
They all shoot better than I do.

I'd be happy to share my thoughts, but now, I need to go burn a pizza so I don't get fat.

45bpcr

I'm late to the party here.
I shoot long range down in PA, 1000yd silhouette.
I use this rifle chambered in .308.

Savage Arms - 12 F/TR - P01072

I mounted this scope on it using a 20 min base and Weaver 6 hole tactical rings.

https://www.amazon.com/Sightron-10-50x60mm-Range-Rifle-Scope/dp/B003DVJ4LO

I spent less than $2000.00 for everything to assemble it.

I use Lapua brass and 175 grain SMK bullets.
CCI BR-2 primers.
43.8 grains of Varget.
.013 jump to the lands.

If I'm not shooting long range Black Powder, I'm shooting this.

It's called VBR. Varmit Bench Rest.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfeaYnh9lps

You have 1 minute to shoot sighter shots at a softball sized target.
A 30 second break and then 2 minutes to shoot 5 shots for score.
One shot per animal, 5 animals, 5 shots.
If it doesn't fall over it's a miss.
Bank #3 are ground hogs @ 900 yds.
They're about the size of a 2 liter soda bottle.

It's not me shooting, it's one of my friends.
He's using a .308 with Berger 175 grn. VLD Target bullets and a similar load using Varget.
I know the various 6.5's are the darling of the day and many folks down in PA use the 6.5-284 Norma for long range work.
Somewhere I have photo's of shot up dice on the ground at the 900 yd target rails.

One thing about the old .308, if you don't or can't handload, .308 ammo is everywhere.
I'm a fan of it and have bolt guns and AR platform rifles chambered for it.
They all shoot better than I do.

I'd be happy to share my thoughts, but now, I need to go burn a pizza so I don't get fat.

45bpcr

Looks like Ridgeway.

Yep a GREAT club

And, I should add, I'm a really big fan of 6.5's.
Because I'm a Luddite, I use the 6.5X55.
I have rifles in modern actions and probably to many Swedish rifles.
In a strong modern action the 6.5X55 is no slouch.
I won't share load data here.
You gotta love a cartridge that was invented in 1893 - or so

Just got this email

RUGER PRECISION RIFLE 338 LAPUA

RUMPRECISONR338
PRECISION 338LAP 26" 5+1 MLOK
18080 | M-LOK HANDGUARD
338 LapuaUPC: 736676180806 MFG MDL #: 18080

MSRP: $2,099.00

PRICE: $1,447.00

Could buy it but the more I think of it I dont need a 300 win mag or a 338 lapua.

I will just go with the 5.56 and 308 for now.

Sounds like the OP is building a nice safe dust-collector, given that he doesn't seem to really know what he wants, and odds seem to dictate that he'll probably never shoot it over 300 yards. (because basically in new england you have to be anointed by christ himself to be allowed to shoot past 300 yards, not that its a bad thing, given the moonbats everywhere). It'll either end up in the back of the safe or on a consignment rack in a year or two.

Also the fact that the OP hasn't mentioned how much he wants to put into glass is pretty disturbing. That literally makes or breaks that kind of rifle,
IMHO. If I set cash on fire and have a halfway decent rifle with great glass on it, it's likely still fun to shoot. On the other hand, the best rifle in the world with shitty glass on it will literally never get used, even if its intrinsically capable of .00000000048 MOA or some crazy shit, none of that matters if you can't see anything or its annoying to get a good sight picture, it'll quickly get relegated to dust collector status.

Yes, I am going to be "that guy" in this thread. I know because I used to be one of those gun guys that just set cash on fire because "I thought I needed a 308 sniper rifle" or some shit like that.... [laugh] Not doing the legwork yourself on these sorts of things just sets someone up for despair, or on a good day, a pile full
of "meh".

-Mike

I didn't ask or say anything about glass because the glass I want will be 3 to 5 times the price of the rifle.

I feel the same way good gun with a shit scope equals shit hits.
A good scope with a shit gun still equals ok to good hits.

And I kinda made the selection to 3 diffrent guns and with scopes there are thousands of scopes to pick from and that's for a whole new discussion after I get the guns.

And i might buy it and resell it later but it if I do that it will be because I decided to go with a even better bolt gun in a better chassis.

And who said i can't go hunting with a chassis gun and if I do every one would laugh at me.

Just remember the guy driving the first Ford Model T got laught at what is that thing that automobile is over kill and not needed but who is laughing now.

Last edited:
WHICH ONE IS BETTER FOR LONG RANG SHOOTING

22b--the-m777-howitzer.jpg

If I want longer range than my Barrett 50 cal that I have shot sub moa at 2500 yards i will just move up to the 20mm vulcan rifle.

5.56 308 50BMG 20MM Vulcan
bulletsizes.jpg

50 cal next to a Anzio 20mm rifle

image.jpeg

20mmwith50a-1.jpg

Last edited:
If I were to look at 1 do everything target/ tactical/ hunting.. I’d go for a savage10/ Remington pss/ Sako in either 300wm or 338 Lapua. And the best scope I could afford.

But, the idea of having to carry for miles in the field really sounds awful to me. Unless I am hunting from my car, the idea of an 80lb tacticool with all sorts of places for branches and bushes to snag. And pulling leaves, grass, twigs and mud out of all of the awesome tactical grooves, slots and holes for hours sounds awful.

Well, I don't really know what I'm talking about, but what I would do, is buy a Savage 110 tactical, with the accutrigger and their new accufit adjustable stock, in 6.5 Kardashian (Creedmoore). If you like the stock, keep it. If not, drop it into an XLR element. I have a 10 FCP-SR in .308 and like it (I'm more of a bread and butter kinda guy), but 6.5 CM is the future for mid to long range, no getting around that.

I’d also propose that a Nagant with a 4x scope has pretty much gone everywhere and done everything and has proven to be more than capable of doing anything as an alternative.

You sound skeptical of that claim. I’m not sure why.
I know exactly 2 (TWO) people who MIGHT be able to pull a sub 25" group at over a mile and a half (Rudy and Alex from Ridgeline). A former force recon scout sniper and a US ranger sniper, now both instructors for precision shooting at Ridgeline. I'd love to watch Glock-22 shoot, and learn from the experience. But as I wrote earlier, I don't really know what I'm talking about.

Carefull how you're talking to Chris Kyle, man.

20 inch group at 2500 yard with a 50 cal is sub moa but I could be wrong.

But then again it was right after i got out of the military when I was 24 and was shooting 50 cal competitions in Las Vegas.

Now i am 44 and haven't shot that distance in 20 years.

The only distance I have been doing lately is 200 yards and under.

So I probably totally suck now and know why I would no practice and am a old fart.

Last edited:
20 inch group at 2500 yard with a 50 cal is sub moa but I could be wrong.

But then again it was right after i got out of the military when I was 24 and was shooting 50 cal competitions in Las Vegas.

Now i am 44 and haven't shot that distance in 20 years.

The only distance I have been doing lately is 200 yards and under.

So I probably totally suck now and know why I would no practice and am a old fart.
With all due respect? I'm no expert on long range shooting here but if you've done that kind of shooting competition and also own a 20mm anti tank rifle why are you asking people for advice on what to buy? Wouldn't you already be experienced enough to know what to look for?

I don't have nearly the experience that some (many) other folks here have, but Ill throw my worthless opinion in the ring anyway...

If you are looking at the Ruger Precision, I would suggest taking a peek at Tikka’s Tac A1. Someone brought this rifle to my attention when I was hunting for a new toy and it seems to be a serious rifle for the $.

Like I said, my experience is scant, but perhaps ir is worth a gander...

With all due respect? I'm no expert on long range shooting here but if you've done that kind of shooting competition and also own a 20mm anti tank rifle why are you asking people for advice on what to buy? Wouldn't you already be experienced enough to know what to look for?

Yes my experience is on a 26 inch barrel Remington 700 because thats all there was basically 20 years ago and with all the new shit out there I wanted an opinion on something other than the Remington 700

Mostly because I have heard that the Savage 10/110 is better than the Remington 700 and didn't know about the Ruger or Mossberg.

Last edited:
Ditch the thought of a Mossberg. I'd own one of their shotties anytime, but their rifles? Nope nope nope nope nope. I shot one of their "precision" night trains, some years ago. Kind ak accuracy level, with ergos that would fit a Pygmy. What turns me off of that MDT chassis on the Savage is the forend. Looks like something went missing.
You'd be better up getting a Howa barreled action and set it into a KRG or XLR chassis. Or, go big or go home, and get a Cadex defense. I'm drooling over one of those for the longest time.

image.jpg image.jpg
So I probably totally suck now and know why I would no practice and am a old fart
C’mon man stop with the self deprecation as I just hit 40 and feel great!

Anyways back on topic. I’ve recently purchased a Savage 11 Trophy Hunter and it is cheap for sure. It hits hard and in these necks of the woods it’s all I need for the money I can afford.

Back
Top Bottom