• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which One Is Better For Long Range Shooting

GLOCK-22

NES Member
So I am just tring to figure out which is best for long rang shooting and what one to buy.

So maybe I should have asked about these instead because the ones I originally asked about no one seamed to think were very good and I should go with a 6.5 creed so I like these 3 but don't know anything about any one of them.

And i need to keep the price of the compleat gun at 1500 or under not counting glass.

Thank you

Tikka T3 A1 Tactical 6.5

maxresdefault (1).jpg

Howa 1500 6.5 american flag

Screenshot_2019-01-27-04-22-52-1.png

Screenshot_2019-01-27-04-38-13-1.png

Ruger Precision rifle 6.5

rpr99802.jpg

So what do we think about one of these 3?
Let me know what one and why thanks.

Last edited:
I've got a friend who has the Ruger in 6.5 Creedmoor. He is not happy with the results so far.
I like the Savage rifles in general but have yet to get one of their precision models.
I want to like the Mossberg but it seems to underwhelm most reviewers.
[popcorn]

The MVP, the action itself isn't very smooth. Leaves a lot to be desired. The Ruger, very nice but to Tactical for me. I had the 308 version. The Savage, same action as a non-tactical chassis. I picked my Savage 12FV with a Heavy Bull barrel from Cabelas when it was on sale for $319.99 and swapped a new Boyd stock. Action on it is nicer IMO. Detachable mags, don't mean much to me since I like to load each round, that's just me.

How much better are those style riffles over a $600 savage bolt action in 308 with "Accu trigger" and "AccuStock"

Well the Savage has the Accu trigger and it will be in a chssis system insted of a stock.

But I can get the Ruger Precision $800 MVP LC $620 & Savage would be $1000 a little more because it would be the Savage 10 fcp-sr put in to a MDT XL Gen 2 chassis system with a Luth-AR sniper stock but figured it would be easier to just say a Savage BA stealth because its basically the same thing.

Last edited:
Does it have to be a chasis based set up?
If so do your research on different chasis systems for each platform. I like the adjustability of the Ruger (i got to shoot one a bit over the summer) only adjustment that is lacking is im always needing to have the comb to the left to get a nice solid dead weight cheek weld behind the scope.
Out of those 3 I would lean on savage. I know more savage owners than any other (dictated by price mostly) then a few Tikka /sako guys that love thier set ups with out getting very expensive or into the "custom" line.
So far one of the most comfortable set ups I got to shoot (sorry only out to 300 yards) was a tikka T3 in a GRS stock.

Almost pulled the trigger when i found out they made a LH model.
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...x-left-hand-grs-bifrost-stock-prod118969.aspx
i shot this right handed (I can shoot both sides) and it just fit me well.
Few bergera abound at the club also.

Most people from what I've read and heard are pleased with the RPR. I have a first generation in 6.5 creedmoor and I'm very pleased with it although I did make some changes to make it even better but in original configuration I was getting about .75 to 1 MOA with factory ammo. They are on the 3rd generation now.

Read the article I posted. For hunting too, 6.5CM is considered a better round.

A better round for what kind of hunting I want to be able to take deer moose and man if sh!t hit the fan.

Plus in my opinion 6.5 creed and 6 creed are good for long range paper and a more of a fad.

I look at it as the USMC uses 308 and 300 Win Mag for snipers trusted and proven.

Last edited:
I haven’t shot the Ruger or Mossberg, but I have shot the Savage (might’ve been the long-action version), as well as many, many other Savage rifles.

You can’t go wrong with one.

That being said, personally....I would buy a Model 10 in a less expensive stock, and put the $800-1000 you save towards glass and ammo.

Unless money is no object, then I’d say screw it and buy a Q Fix.

1) none of these are hunting rifles. get something lighter. if i ever saw a dude walking around in the woods with a ruger precision rifle I would point and laugh
2) the savage will come with a very good barrel. the ruger will not. the mossberg may be on par with the savage
3) as precision rifles all of these options sort of suck
4) if you want a nice shooter get a Howa 1500, tikka or savage short action, then drop it into a chassis like an XLR or KRG. it will cost about the same as a ruger precision and walk all over it
5) Savage makes a model 12fv for Cabelas that is a great starting point for a chassis build

6) why are you getting into 300 win mag? it's an old belted cartridge that is on its way out. unless someone is already setup with that round i wouldn't be going into it. to each his own.

A better round for what kind of hunting I want to be able to take deer moose and man if needed.

Plus in my opinion 6.5 creed and 6 creed are good for long range paper and a more of a fad.

I look at it as the USMC uses 308 and 300 Win Mag for snipers trusted and proven.

You REALLY don't like clicking links, do you?

The first paragraph states:

I’m sorry to break it to you, but sharp, sleek, and fast 6.5 Creedmoor is not a “hipster caliber.” It’s here to stay, and that’s because it’s better than the old glue horse we call .308 Winchester / 7.62mm NATO in every single way. Almost.

(the only advantage is if you plink with cheap fmj ammo which exists in .308. If you're only shooting quality hunting or target ammo, there is NO advantage to .308. )

.MIL is replacing all their .308's with 6.5CM (read the damned article!)

and with regards to hunting:

While porky .308 is about 250 ft-lbs of energy more powerful at the muzzle, a match 6.5 CM load has already surpassed a match .308 load’s retained energy after only 160 yards of flight. At 1,000 yards it can have twice the kinetic energy. Even within that short distance where .308 pushes more ft-lbs, the higher sectional density of the 6.5 projectile — the same reason it’s so aerodynamic — often results in improved penetration in game. We’ll have to do some testing, though, to see if a deer or elk at point blank range can tell the difference between 2,400 ft-lbs and 2,650 ft-lbs.

Bottom line for hunters: a 6.5 Creedmoor can take the same game as .308 and do it just as well as .308 at close ranges. But past a couple hundred yards, there’s simply no contest; 6.5 flat-out dominates. And as the range increases, so does the brutal domination.

I was looking for an RPR 308 and found an X-Bolt in .30-06 here that I really liked and was able to purchase. It’s total overkill for anything that I need and obviously a very different round, but it’s a solid rifle, and it’s available in 308, I believe.

In the interest of full transparency, I had shot an X-Bolt in the past, but had never fired a Ruger. I kind of feel like renting one or picking up a used Ruger here to do my own compare & contrast, unless someone someone with an RPR wants to meet up at Maynard R&GC and swap guns for an hour.

I have the RPR in 308 and the Savage Stealth in 6.5cm. I’m not sure what problems some are having with these as both of my rifles shoot sub MOA at 200 yards. If I had to choose just one I’d go with the Savage as I think it has a slightly better trigger over the RPR.

That said both are heavy and would not be my choice for a hunting rifle.

Define long range

also what are you shooting at and do you hand load?

As for the above three rifles buy which ever one fits you best and feels comfortable and leaves funds for a scope.

For caliber:

The 6.5 creedmore is much flatter shooting than 308. (But then 6mm Creedmore is even flatter than 6.5)

If you don’t hand load then I will say the Hornady in 6.5CM is most accurate and reasonably priced factory ammo I have ever shot in both match and hunting bullets.

300 yards and under 6, 6.5, or 308 doesn’t matter

300 to 500. If shooting deer, 308 is better in my opinion. (Assuming you can hit target with either one I like the bigger hole and retained energy). Varmints or Targets not much difference either caliber

Over 500. I don’t shoot game over 500.( Just my choice and even then conditions need to be right for me to go to 500) But for targets you can compensate for drop on either caliber but wind drift is the bigger issue. The lower wind drift of 6.5 makes it better choice than 308. From 400 yards out my wind drift error usually exceeds my elevation error. From a bench or prone my misses are usually mis read of wind.

Shooting off a barricade or obstacle I have found all kinds of ways to miss that have nothing to do with rifle or caliber or windage or elevation.

WHICH ONE IS BETTER FOR LONG RANG SHOOTING

22b--the-m777-howitzer.jpg

I have the RPR in 308 and the Savage Stealth in 6.5cm. I’m not sure what problems some are having with these as both of my rifles shoot sub MOA at 200 yards. If I had to choose just one I’d go with the Savage as I think it has a slightly better trigger over the RPR.

That said both are heavy and would not be my choice for a hunting rifle.

What is sub MOA at 200 yards? MOA is not distance dependent. You mean to say it's sub MOA or Sub 2" at 200 yards. Or sub 1" at 100 yards. Or 3 at 3 etc. hate to be that guy but I keep seeing this and it doesn't make sense

Last edited:
What is sub MOA at 200 yards? MOA is not distance dependent. You mean to say it's sub 2 MOA or Sub 2" at 200 yards. Or sub 1" at 100 yards. Or 3 at 3 etc. hate to be that guy but I keep seeing this and it doesn't make sense

Guess im not up on the proper saying. What should I call a legitimate cloverleaf at 200 yards? [thinking]

1) none of these are hunting rifles. get something lighter. if i ever saw a dude walking around in the woods with a ruger precision rifle I would point and laugh
2) the savage will come with a very good barrel. the ruger will not. the mossberg may be on par with the savage
4) if you want a nice shooter get a Howa 1500, tikka or savage short action, then drop it into a chassis like an XLR or KRG. it will cost about the same as a ruger precision and walk all over it
5) Savage makes a model 12fv for Cabelas that is a great starting point for a chassis build

6) why are you getting into 300 win mag? it's an old belted cartridge that is on its way out. unless someone is already setup with that round i wouldn't be going into it. to each his own.

I wasn't that fond of the Ruger thats why I was asking.

I like the Savage as long as I drop it in a chassis system.

And like the MVP LC because it is already in a chassis system and I hear Mossberg make very good barrels and make them for other companies bolt action rifles.

And 300 Win Mag because it's a good round between the 308 and 50 cal and if Chris Kyle can make his longest kill with it then i would think it's still a good round.

Guess im not up on the proper saying. What should I call a legitimate cloverleaf at 200 yards? [thinking]

That's called good shootin'

Sorry pet peeve of mine. MOA or minute of angle doesn't require a distance to be understood. It's an angular measurement. 1" at 200 would equate to about .5 MOA.

A better round for what kind of hunting I want to be able to take deer moose and man if needed.

Explain your first paragraph. In what possible scenario are you going to be shooting people at long range?

I fired the ruger at our clubs ruger day, it seemed very nice with a soft trigger. Very accurate on our 200 HD range.

Wrong rifles for woods hunting. Lever action or shotgun amigo.

Back
Top Bottom