• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which One Is Better For Long Range Shooting

I would suggest looking at a Tikka also, maybe a CTR and add a chassis. They are very well built, smooth action, good trigger and accurate as anything.
Last year I gave up on my first experience with my Remington 700P in .308 and researched Savage, Tikka Tac model, Howa and Bergara. I chose the Tikka CTR in stainless barrel 24” and am very happy with it. I put it in a KRG stock and load my own 6.5 Creedmoor with Lapua brass and SMK 142. Last time I shot it I got a one hole group of 3 at 200 yards. I don’t think I can repeat that any time soon. It easily shoots half MOA. I have won a bunch of egg shoots with it at 300 yards.
Good luck with your choice
I don’t think you can go wrong with a nice Savage either, they have great customer service if you have any trouble.

Attachments

• FA176F15-E6D6-402C-8719-15F579D5A175.jpeg
    FA176F15-E6D6-402C-8719-15F579D5A175.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 13
I still have a remington 300 RUM you could build off of.
I say tbough if you where pulling off sub MOA with a 50cal 20 some odd years ago, bravo. What did you use for ammo and platform. How often did you shoot sub moa at 2500 yards. Also kudos seeing targets out that far .
I only got to shoot to just under 1000 yards growing up on some old abandoned strip of power lines. I once looked through a old 10x scope at a 55gal drum from about 1800 yards and I could hardly see it and find it if I lost sight of it.
That was 20+ years ago and my dads friend was teaching me how to range find with the 30/30 duplex reticle. We did not shoot at it though. Like you i took a little time off before getting back into shooting. Although I tend to lean on the old stuff.. Im currently looking for a 6.5 . Swede that is.

Barrett 99 with Leupold 40x or 50x fixed scope but I don't remember exactly the scope it was so long ago. Shooting at a 72x72 with a 60 inch or 48x48 with a 36 inch round numbered bullseye type target for scoring I don't remember exactly.

So maybe I should have asked about

Tikka T3 A1 Tactical 6.5
Howa 1500 6.5 american flag
Bergara B-14 BMP Chassis 6.5

So what do we think about one of these 3?
Screw it just get a Sako
TRG 22/42 A1

Or be the cool kid and build a custom Rem from my rem700 in 300RUM.

Just got this email

RUGER PRECISION RIFLE 338 LAPUA

RUMPRECISONR338
PRECISION 338LAP 26" 5+1 MLOK
18080 | M-LOK HANDGUARD
338 LapuaUPC: 736676180806 MFG MDL #: 18080

MSRP: $2,099.00

PRICE: $1,447.00

Could buy it but the more I think of it I dont need a 300 win mag or a 338 lapua.

I will just go with the 5.56 and 308 for now.

The problem with .338 Lapua is what it costs to shoot. If you don't have a rifle like this in a smaller caliber already, don't get the .338 in something like 6.5 CM or .308.

It seems that most people who shoot .338 LM and don't reload, spend most of their time admiring it and very little time actually shooting it. Also, don't be fooled by the Privi match ammo available for less than $30. Its a very light bullet and performs worse at long range than a run of the mill SMK out of a .308. The real stuff costs $3 per round. So . . .

If you don't reload, just get it in 6.5 Creedmoor. If you do reload, aren't competing, and have other rifles chambered in .308, for the sake of simplicity you may want to get it in .308. My handloads with 175 gr Sierra Match Kings are supersonic beyond 1000 yards. Which is more than I need. I've only used them at that distance once, at Sig's Advanced Precision Rifle class.

Which I highly recommend. This is the gun I did the Sig class with. Savage Element.jpg

Last edited:
The problem with .338 Lapua is what it costs to shoot. If you don't have a rifle like this in a smaller caliber already, don't get the .338. It seems that most people who shoot .338 LM and don't reload, spend most of their time admiring it and very little time actually shooting it.

If you don't reload, just get it in 6.5 Creedmoor. If you do reload, aren't competing, and have other rifles chambered in .308, for the sake of simplicity you may want to get it in .308. My handloads with 175 gr Sierra Match Kings are supersonic beyond 1000 yards. Which is more than I need. I've only used them at that distance once, at Sig's Advanced Precision Rifle class.

Which I highly recommend. This is the gun I did the Sig class with. View attachment 266013

Lefty like me but I dont like shooting with lefty guns i am so used to right hand guns in my left hand if I switch now it would confuse the shit out of me..

And i was going 308 because I don't reload yet and figure for practuce I can just use Nato ammo.

And I don't really think 6.5 creed is a fad I like it and think it makes sense over other rounds linlke 6mm or 6.8

I might get a 6.5 but I am a minimalist kind of guy i had all the diffrent caliber guns but sold them all a long time ago and went with all the basic only.
Hand gun ammo 22lr 9mm 40cal 45cal
Rifle ammo 22lr 5.56 7.62x51 7.62x39 50cal

Last edited:
I'm a minimalist also. Which is why all my rifles are .308. But if I were starting out, I'd probably go 6.5 CM. I don't think its a fad.

I do fine with a right handed bolt gun. Where I don't like it in particular is if I'm shooting with a sling for accuracy. Then I have to get out of the sling to run the bolt.
So it matters to me hunting or almost any other situation other than shooting off a bipod. Off a bipod, I prefer to work the bolt with my support hand. But then again, on some RH guns, I need to remove my head from
the stock to work the bolt. Which eliminates the speed advantage of a RH bolt.

Yes I'm blathering, but there are a lot of factors to consider.

There have been a lot of good rifles mentioned here. I don't know how easily or how much modification you can do on all of them. I do know that on the Savages the barrels can be changed quite easily. In regards to the RPR it's good out of the box and if you want you can make basically just about any modification you choose to. The barrel, the grip, the stock, the trigger, the handguard etc. It also comes with a 20 MOA rail. It also allows you more options in magazine choice too. You can use inexpensive P mags or more expensive AICS type mags.

https://rifleshooter.com/2018/09/ruger-precision-rifle-rpr-review-geniii-6-5-creedmoor/

Last edited:
Let me be the first here to say, at long distances, I suck. That is why I have to lure you in close...

Looks like someone sold you a rail of "empties"... [smile]

image-jpg.265934

But the main reason for me not to go to 6.5 is I have a HK 91 and a AR 10 and want to stay with the 308 round and not have another caliber to deal with.

I have a nice older 700 in 308. But I would be lying if I said I could shoot good enough to get much more accuracy than I could out of an AR10. YMMV.
I would spend the money on some IR or night vision and take it on a couple of West Texas night time hog hunts.

6.5 is really not a fad. Its a well proven round
The 6.5/25-27 cal family of cartridges spent a long time doing a great job.
We often see things come around full circle. I thought the .380 semi auto compact pistols where all but washed up Then they seemed to be all the rage/fad few years back?

Fun stuff. If I ever see 1000 yards again I will be happy to lay on the line of what ever rifle that can make it down range.

6.5 is really not a fad. Its a well proven round
The 6.5/25-27 cal family of cartridges spent a long time doing a great job.
This.
The 6.5-08 has been a beast at the National Championships for a long, long time. It's a stupid easy round: 308 necked down to 6.5. Remington commercialized it and renamed it the .260 Remington. If a person were to build a prone rifle, they could do a lot worse than .260 Ackey Improved.

So forget my OP changed to a 6.5 creed

The problen is I need to be at 1500 or under for the gun complete not counting glass.

Tikka T3 A1 Tactical 6.5

Last edited:
That Sako is nice but I was trying to stay under 1500 for the gun I have a lot of ok shit but I am not rich by any means.
I have way to many "lets get the budget gun shooting good" guns kicking around.
If I ever get the chance to be near 800-1000 yards regular regularly again . Im not going to try and squeeze into a fixed budget. Will I spend $8k plus on some custom build. No.
Also i hope if/when that day comes I dont have to get a custom stock to get some horizontal adjustment on the comb.
Let us know how you do and give us a range report.

I think the term for that is " fiction"

Fencer. The mythical 200 yard clover leaf is real. When I did the long range rifle class at Sig that I mentioned above, there was a Marine sniper in the class there for a tune up.

He brought the best you could imagine. An Accuracy International Arctic Warfare rifle chambered in .300 Win Mag. It was topped with a $5000 Schmidt and Bender scope. At 100 yards, he made one hole, about .309" in diameter. At 200 yards, it looked like a single .45 cal hole. At 300 yards he made cloverleafs.

It was insane. The only thing more insane was the amount of crap that the huge brake on his gun kicked up on everyone else every time he fired. But he was the real deal. Oh and for the whole two day class, when we lied down on our shooting mats. He just lied in the dirt.

Don

Fencer. The mythical 200 yard clover leaf is real. When I did the long range rifle class at Sig that I mentioned above, there was a Marine sniper in the class there for a tune up.

He brought the best you could imagine. An Accuracy International Arctic Warfare rifle chambered in .300 Win Mag. It was topped with a $5000 Schmidt and Bender scope. At 100 yards, he made one hole, about .309" in diameter. At 200 yards, it looked like a single .45 cal hole. At 300 yards he made cloverleafs.

It was insane. The only thing more insane was the amount of crap that the huge brake on his gun kicked up on everyone else every time he fired. But he was the real deal. Oh and for the whole two day class, when we lied down on our shooting mats. He just lied in the dirt.

Don
mats just add another thing to move and shift on you. Heck I have often thought about ditching my mat but then remember I am a whimp and dont want to lay on cold/wet/hard/rocky ground. At home with the air rifles I like to just lay in the grass

So forget my OP changed to a 6.5 creed

Tikka T3 A1 Tactical 6.5

If I was going to build a gun for this purpose I don't think I'd do much different than the Tikka. That's pretty sweet

Don

I've done it at 200 a couple of times and know that there are a select few that can do it at 300 with regularity, with the right conditions, equipment and training.

I have the RPR in 308 and the Savage Stealth in 6.5cm. I’m not sure what problems some are having with these as both of my rifles shoot sub MOA at 200 yards. If I had to choose just one I’d go with the Savage as I think it has a slightly better trigger over the RPR.

That said both are heavy and would not be my choice for a hunting rifle.
I recommend the Timney trigger for the RPR. Two-Stage Replacement Trigger for the Ruger Precision®

But I still need help picking a 6.5 creed or a 300 Win Mag.

I will take any suggestions as long as you can give me the reason why that specific gun your suggesting.

I like the Tikka because its Beretta

I like how the Howa looks and it comes with a scope.

And I figure the farthest I will probably go with it is 1200 yard.

But if I need to go further than that I think I should go with a 300 Win Mag.

Last edited:
You will like the Savage. I have this exact same rifle, with the 24" barrel. Has treated me well, except for the sight in. My thread protector came loose, and it was shooting all over the place. Then Snacks (Allahsnackbar) gave it a whirl, noticed the protector, took it off, and was sighted in and shot MOA in no time. The mag is a flimsy piece of shit tho. Dark Eagle custom mags fix that.
As far as the Mossberg, hard pass.

Yeah, at 200 it's doable with a good rifle and ammo At 300 it's fantasy.
I disagree about fantasy. I shot this 3 shot group at 293 yards with a Remington 700SPS in 300WSM in RI with 2 witnesses. First shot(I flinched) is covered with a paster, last 2 are right next to each other. I did not have any more ammo as I only brought 20 to play with. This was a $550.00 rifle with a $600.00 Leuopold scope. No brake. Thin profile barrel. Fusion ammo. I was sighting in for an upcoming Elk hunt in Idaho and was very surprised at the rifles accuracy. First time I ever shot more than 200 yards. My friend offered to buy it on the spot. I have no professional training, just lucky I guess. I have also put 3 shots in a cloverleaf at 200yds with this rifle. I’m confident if I put some effort into it I could get pretty close to a big cloverleaf at 300yds.
upload_2019-1-28_21-0-54.jpeg

But I still need help picking a 6.5 creed or a 300 Win Mag.

I will take any suggestions as long as you can give me the reason why that specific gun your suggesting.

I like the Tikka because its Beretta

I like how the Howa looks and it comes with a scope.

And I figure the farthest I will probably go with it is 1200 yard.

But if I need to go further than that I think I should go with a 300 Win Mag.

The Fix by Q!

Back
Top Bottom