• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which one? 9mm or .40?

So I have a deposit down at the LGS for a S/W M and P 9mm. They also have it available in .40 for the same price. I already have a 9mm, but which one would you choose? I was thinking about the 9 because the ammo is cheaper and more available. Id like to hear arguments either way...

So I have a deposit down at the LGS for a S/W M and P 9mm. They also have it available in .40 for the same price. I already have a 9mm, but which one would you choose? I was thinking about the 9 because the ammo is cheaper and more available. Id like to hear arguments either way...

I wouldnt say 9mm is more available. I see a lot more .40 on the shelves than 9.

Without starting a caliber war, that I think this is going to...

9mm is an less expensive round, I wouldn't say ANYTHING is easier to find right now then anything else.

tough call. cheaper to shoot 9mm but 40sw ammo appears to be more readily available during shortages. and if you live in a capacity restriction state, 40sw makes sense.

Since you already have a 9mm I'd suggest going for the .40 - with ammo availability the way it is these days it's nice to have more than one option. I love my Sig Pro .40 and I really wouldn't be too comfortable solely with a 9mm for home defense, however I struck out on finding .40 ammo in my last two attempts but there was still 9mm and .357 Sig in stock, which left me kicking myself for not having the .357 Sig replacement barrel for my gun and also convinced me that it's time own a 9mm again. Being stuck low on ammo for weeks at a time sucks.

That said, certainly shoot both guns if you have the chance, always makes the choice easier.

I've debated the same thing.

I'm going to buy an M&P40. After doing some reading, I believe the 40 can be converted to shoot 9mm by swapping in a 9mm barrel and using a 9mm magazine.

I need to confirm first before I buy. I like the low(ER) cost of 9mm, but have a friend that will be reloading for .40 soon. I like the idea of having some variety with one pistol.

If I'm wrong on my barrel swap idea, please let me know

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

The ballistics of both the 9MM and the 40cal are almost identical. You get less recoil with the 9MM, and its easier to shoot. All my handguns are 9MM for this reason alone.

Geez, I better go and buy this thing before it all goes down eh? Mortgage? I don't need to pay no stinking Mortgage!

My vote is to go/stay with the 9mm
...nothing against the 40 cal .....

but 9mm

1) 9mm Ammo is cheaper to buy
2) 9mm is more available and plentyful over all
3) 9mm is the caliber most used by police and the military
4) 9mm ammo will be easy to trader as many other owners own and need 9mm
5) If one of your 9mm pistol breaks and it can't be fixed (for a variety of reasons) you still have another 9mm to use with the ammo you have already bought/stored.
6) Having 2 pistols shooting the same caliber means you have less ammo to buy. You don't have to buy/accumulate two different minimum amounts of distint ammo.

Just my thoughts...

When purchasing an M&P fullsize (HD use, mostly), my decision was for the .40. I figured, since I could only stack 10 rounds in either, I'd get the one with the most bang for the buck. I'm now considering getting a Shield, and might choose the 9mm over the .40 -- more rounds, easier to stay on target with the smaller gun.

121zmm1.png

Interesting to look at this in hind sight.

Interesting to look at this in hind sight.

Yeah... wow. Back then I bought the full size M&P in .40, since then I picked a 9mm drop in barrel & mags and have run it as 9mm ever since. Would prefer it say 9mm on the slide but it's nice to be able to run it in both .40 & 9. I'd have been PISSED if I bought the Shield in .40 though (although haven't used that since I switched to the P365).

Mind you since 2013 people had a lot of chances to buy 9mm... down below 200 a case even.

I don’t call it .40 S&W, I call it by it’s proper name the 10mm Short... designed because the FBI was full of a bunch of small handed wussy girly men!

Back
Top Bottom