Which Glock should I consider

Hi,
I have had a Walther PPS 9mm for a few years and have decided I would like to get a new Glock. The PPS is a very fine carry gun but I wanted something a little bigger and have been bitten by the Glock fever.

I have kinda narrowed it down between a 19 or a 17.
Is there any reason to now go with a Gen4 version of either gun? Have been doing a bunch of research and see there was some ejection issues with some earlier Gen4's.

Any suggestions will be welcome.

Glock 19, just because it much more versatile then the G17. The early gen 4 pistols did have some issues which have been fixed since, so If you can find a 4th gen at a good price I would go for it.

Don't have much of a choice there, do ya? Want the big gun or the compact, simple to me. Myself, the 17 is too big to hump around. If I were thinking that route, I'd be buying a HK VP9. Range toy, home defense, either one is going to work, 17 or 19.

Thank you all for the responses. It is very helpful.
Can someone tell me what the "C" ,compensated, designation means in actual use. Is it worth the extra cost?

Barrel is ported. Reduced muzzle rise. Is it worth the extra cost? To me no, I have no problem shooting a regular G19 or G17. It's just a nice option to have. But if you want to spend a little more and get something different then go ahead.

I have a PPS 40 and love it but I too was looking at Glocks for a long while. Then I was looking at Sigs and finally I went to the store and checked everything out. The Sig while nice was a bit bulkier than I would have liked. The glocks were blocks as usual and no matter how much I wanted to like it, just wasnt happening. Checked out the Kahr PM9 and it was very light, lighter than the PPS actually but the capacity turned me off from it. Would have been cheaper to get a wheel gun in .357 MAG at that point. Finally after browsing the cases I spotted the oddball, it was a S&W M&P 45 compact. Now I had never been a m&p fan, always thought they were cheap, clunkers, etc. Well I got to holding it and racking the slide, broke it down real quick and decided.. I GOTTA HAVE IT! Was a good size for a compact, carries VERY well and cmon its a 8+1 .45acp for around 500 bux. Went to the range a few weeks ago and after 250 rounds I can just say wow, this thing has impressed me quite a bit. Havent carried the PPS since.

I have a Gen.1 17, and a Gen 2 19 also a 42. I find the Gen 2 to be the best made GLOCK because that's when they were still hungry for the market,and they made a better product.Today they are set in, and are starting to get lazy in quality,but that's just my two cents.

Glock 19, if i want a fullsize, like in winter, i will hump a .45 acp glock 21.

Pics of you humping the glock 21 or it didn't happen! Lol couldn't help it.

Seriously the 19 over the 17 for concealed carry but both are really nice in my opinion. Glocks are like lays you can't have just one

Either one is an excellent choice but if you ever want to carry it the G19 is optimal. I would stay away from C versions. They port the gas and the flash straight up in your line of sight.

Thank you all for the responses. It is very helpful.
Can someone tell me what the "C" ,compensated, designation means in actual use. Is it worth the extra cost?

You don't want it.

Compensators won't do much with 9mm at standard velocity. All it will do is increase muzzle blast. It will also prevent you from using it in IDPA or USPSA Production.

Compensators work well on a full-on race gun using 9mm Major or 38 Supercomp. Something like this:

Pro_Sx1.gif

For a carry gun, get the 19.

[
QUOTE=Precision Point Firearms;4417879]Glock 23. 19 is for pussies.[/QUOTE]

So what are you trying to say?

Attachments

• glock-cat-1024x657.jpg
    glock-cat-1024x657.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 89
It would be good if you could shoot both before you decide. The "grip hump" on each is at a slightly different spot in the hand, and that can be a deciding factor for some people because of how the pistol points naturally.

FWIW, I have no problem carrying a 17 concealed, but depending upon a person's body type, wardrobe, where they carry, and the holster used that's not easy for everyone to do.

Glock 19 no doubt about it! I might even consider a G26, I use my G26 with G19 mags with the mag adapter that way you can switch from conceal carry to a "snub nose" glock with up to 15 rounds +1. My GEN 3's have far fewer problems than GEN 4. GEN 4's are a gamble, you have to get a good one.

for what it's worth, I have lonewolf compensated barrel for the G23 and it pretty much shoots like a hot 9mm. makes .40 actually fun to shoot. i haven't examined the muzzle flash yet but it could be gnarly depending on the load. i still love the G23 because all the conversion barrels allow you to shoot pretty much anything out of it.

also it seems like glocks chambered in .40 sell for substantially less $$ than 9mm chambered glocks at least in MA where our markets are perturbed by the monarchy.

I looked at a 26 and just saw no reason to go that short in the handgrip and barrel. It's not like it carries much better, still thick and ugly just a little shorter. I generally prefer my 17 over the 19 at the range but not by much. For carry I always carry the 19 and won't ever carry the 17. If I could only have one for me it would be a 19.

Back
Top Bottom