• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which Glock should I consider

Either one is an excellent choice but if you ever want to carry it the G19 is optimal. I would stay away from C versions. They port the gas and the flash straight up in your line of sight.

^this
my mom has a G17C. The marginal benefit in recoil is outweighed by the dragons breath coming out of the slide. It makes the internals filthy as well from venting directly into the slide. Not a fan. If you want a comp'ed gun get either a threaded barrel or external comped from lone wolf.

My daughters both started carrying concealed at around 14 or 15. They both started with a G19. It's a great all around gun. It can be carried IWB or OWD. it's a solid first carry gun if you're set on a pistol. But convincing you why a revolver is better is for another day. Couldn't convince my daughters either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My daughters both started carrying concealed at around 14 or 15. They both started with a G19. It's a great all around gun. It can be carried IWB or OWD. it's a solid first carry gun if you're set on a pistol. But convincing you why a revolver is better is for another day. Couldn't convince my daughters either.

Lol, probably because they know that revolvers are a pain in the ass.

-Mike

I read someplace the average number of shots fired in self defense is two, from 3 feet away. You need squeeze and boom, not squeeze and jam.

I've yet to have a real problem with "limp wristing" with a Glock or any other semiautomatic handgun, to the point where it actually caused a failure/jam. The only handgun I ever had a problem with that was, ironically, that little POS Seecamp .32 I had. If you didn't death grip that thing (like, if your hand didn't hurt, you weren't gripping it hard enough) that ****er would jam. I would have carried a revolver over that any day of the week, though.

-Mike

I read someplace the average number of shots fired in self defense is two, from 3 feet away. You need squeeze and boom, not squeeze and jam.

If your semi-autos are jamming, then you need to fix or replace them.

Btw, I listened to podcast the other day. Ayoob was interviewing a Chicago PD detective. He described a shootout that he had with a suspect. The suspect was shot 14 times and was still aggressively fighting back. He only stopped when they shot him in the head.

I'd rather not count on only 5, particularly out of a gun that is very difficult to shoot quickly and accurately.

And, btw, I've had revolvers jam.

Last edited:
I've yet to have a real problem with "limp wristing" with a Glock or any other semiautomatic handgun, to the point where it actually caused a failure/jam. The only handgun I ever had a problem with that was, ironically, that little POS Seecamp .32 I had. If you didn't death grip that thing (like, if your hand didn't hurt, you weren't gripping it hard enough) that ****er would jam. I would have carried a revolver over that any day of the week, though.

-Mike

Seecamps were known for being particular about their ammo. I looked at one in the late 80's, and if I recall correctly the recommended load was a Winchester SilverTip?? I ended up buying a Colt Mustang at the time, so I could be mistaken.

That brand new G42 that I like to carry so much stovepiped right out of the box consistently for my wife and then again for her after I'd run 300 rounds through it. I swear she can't get three rounds in a row out of it without a problem and I haven't had a single problem with it.

Each time that she's had a problem, I've cleared the malfunction, finished the mag, then taken the same ammo, reloaded it, and run the full mag without any problems on the spot. Doesn't matter if I shoot strong hand, weak hand, rapidfire, slowfire - every round in the mag fires. Watching her closely, I know she's limp-wristing it, and there's not a lot we can do about it.

So, instead of it being "hers" or "our" gun it's "mine" and she sticks with her Sig P232 and S&W .38

She's convinced I planned this just so I could acquire another Glock. [rofl] I'm not admitting to anything.

Definitely get the G19. I consider the G19 full-sized, while the G17 is "duty-sized". The shorter grip fits me large hands great and the G19 is so much more versatile. I CC a G19 every day. Wouldn't really be feasible with a G17 due to the grip length. You'd print like crazy. Possible? Sure. Comfy? No.

As for Gen 4, they're great these days. My G19 ejects 4-5 feet to my 4:30 and my G20 ejects about 25 yards (jk, more like 25ft) to my 4:00. When I first started shooting, I started out shooting Gen 3's. They landed shells on my head just like people used to say Gen 4's did. It was limp wristing. Nothing to do with the gun.

Should mention I've never had a jam with a Glock, Gen 4 or otherwise, other than one box full of factory-bulged shells. Only thing limp wristing did was throw an occasional shell straight up and to 6:00.

Last edited:
I was in the same boat not too long ago and I ended up buying a Glock 19. The best way I can describe it is like a good set of all-season tires - it is not the best at anything, but it is the most versatile choice. The Glock 19 is almost as good on the range as the Glock 17, but it is much much easier to conceal. Compared to the Glock 26 however, it is a night and day difference on the range and almost the same size when it comes to conceal carry.

In addition to the Glock 19 I also purchased a Glock 42 which is now my primary choice for conceal carry. While I have no problem carrying the 19, I prefer the much smaller Glock 42 as it can fit virtually anywhere. I like the fact that I can just toss it in my pocket or in my backpack, etc.

I hope this helps!

i don't find too much difference between the 26 and 19 in accuracy, maintain proper grip during rapid fire .. yes i have found it wants to move more in my hand when hands are wet. but it is more concealable than the 19 especially when seated in the car , or anytime you are not standing

If you are not planning on concealed carrying (or have another gun that fits the bill), I would go for a 17. The 19 is still a pretty large gun to CC (in the summertime at least) and if you have big hands, the 17 will be a better fit and more enjoyable to shoot-

Maybe you should buy one of each! You could almost buy 2 Glocks for the price of 1 Sig. If you don't mind GEN 2's I have found them to be more reliable and they are certainly cheaper.

Look at the chart below and pick the one you think you would like the most. Which ever one you think will fit your intended use. Seems they make one for almost any occasion.

http://glock.pro/glock-pistols/340-glock-pistol-models-here-s-chart-tell-them-apart.html

GlockPistolModels.jpg

Again thank you all for all the advice.
As I have a Walther PPS with fixed Ma trigger I don't need a carry gun.
Going to pick up a gen4 G19 in a week an am really looking forward to it.

Yej the 30 is on of those mystique guns, size of the 19 but thick as hell. 9-10 rounds of 45 . Have one , but love the fullsize .45 better

Great advice to the OP. For me it depends on comfort and shootability. I love full size Glocks. Compact Glocks I can manage but couldnt run one all day on the range or in a class, my hands are slightly to big for that perfect comfort. Baby Glocks I can manage for practice.

If the G19 fits good and you can shoot it all day get it. It's a good middle of the road glock. If the 19 feels like after 200 rounds your hands hurt, get a 17. Either way both fantastic guns.
Side note...if it's gonna be a range toy/home defense/ competitions gun look at a Glock 34.

Again thank you all for the excellent advice. I did have the opportunity to put 100 rounds through a gen2 19 at a range yesterday and did really like the feel. Don't think I am as accurate I am with the PPS but it's a new feel.
A couple of questions if I may.

First is there much difference other than the coarse grip with a gen4 version.
I was a bit concerned when trying to see if there was a round chambered. On the PPS there is a red visual indicator. Talked with one of the employees at the range and he explained about the nub on the right side protruding When a round is chambered. Is the gen4 the same in this regard?

thanks

Gen4 Glocks have the same style loaded chamber indicator and, as you indicated, a new rough texture (which I really like).

Some other differences are that Gen4 has a multiple back strap feature with 3 sizes. It gives you the option to have a grip that is smaller than earlier generations, which I also like. Additionally, you can go with the same size grip as before or a larger grip. The mag catch is larger and easier to reach without breaking your grip, and it's also reversible for lefties.

Gen4 has a dual recoil spring assembly, which is supposed to last longer and reduce felt recoil (can't say personally if it does or not). The new version has finger grooves, thumb rests, and an accessory rail for a light or laser. I don't believe the Gen2 you shot had any of those things.

Also on some gen 4's the 0-3 recoil spring is giving some probs with cheaper ammo like umc and aluminum, check your gen 4's and make sure you have the 0-4 spring .

can you believe I may sell my NIB xds9 to grab a 19? I know right.....[banghead]

Dumping guns sucks, unless you have no use for it. I hate selling guns now. I refuse to do it unless I know I'll never shoot it again.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom