• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

When You Carry, What Kind Of Rounds Do You Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wrong button man, you neg repped me with a "+1" comment [rofl] It's too early to internet. I know it's a mistake but I bet a lot of people would flip out - me, I just think it's hilarious.

I sincerely apologize. You are my first neg rep - even people I don't like I'll give a positive rep with my true feelings in the comment field. Thanks for being a good sport.

There's been some great info here. Serious question to those that have read evaluations of performance. For 9mm, has anyone demonstrated a noticeable difference between 124g and 147g? I shoot(hand loads) and carry(HST) 147g just because I like more of a thump than snap in my little LC9s.

Funny story. I just watched Lethal Weapon 1 last week. The noises the guns make are so 1980s. BLAM BLAM BLAM. Like a 338 Lapua.

Skip to 2:00

[video=youtube_share;gmHVnwCbJfk]http://youtu.be/gmHVnwCbJfk?t=2m[/video]

I rewatched it over the winter. My favorite part was listening to him wax poetic about that one hollow point he was saving for the day he finally does himself in. But every time they show it, it's a ball round.

There's been some great info here. Serious question to those that have read evaluations of performance. For 9mm, has anyone demonstrated a noticeable difference between 124g and 147g? I shoot(hand loads) and carry(HST) 147g just because I like more of a thump than snap in my little LC9s.

It depends on the round....conventional wisdom says that the heavier bullet will penetrate deeper. Presumably that's why LEOs, for whom penetration and barrier performance are more important, are often issued 147gr 9mm. The FBI 'standard' is 12-18" of penetration in gel.....well that's a damn big range. People tend to believe that as long as it meets the minimum standard it's g2g but I think it's important to pick a round that penetrates to the high end of that range.

Is there merit in saying, 'I'm carrying a little 380 in my pocket for personal protection, if I have to use it, 2 or 3 rounds of 95gr going 8-10" into a bad guy is more than enough?" Certainly there is! It comes down to what you feel comfortable carrying and shooting. I personally think that people today are (really) big and that multiple attackers/intermediate barriers are a thing....if I can have the advantage anywhere, I'll take it.

To your point (finally...) The standard pressure HST expands well, to about .60" diameter, regardless of weight or pressure. For standard loadings the 124s actually penetrated deeper (18" vs 15") than the 147s. The heavier bullet isn't going as fast and if it's still expanding correctly you don't always get the additional penetration you'd expect to see.

Stepping up to the +P loads, the extra velocity allows the 147gr to penetrate deeper (to over 19") with the same expansion so if that's of paramount importance or your gun really likes heavier bullets, that would be the round I'd choose, HST 147 +P which Federal tags as P9HST4.

Take heed that the Speer Gold Dot in 147 FAILED, with no expansion. There were problems with other 147s and expansion as well so velocity becomes particularly important...pay attention. 115s are generally not recommended and will favor expansion greatly at the expense of penetration. Exceptions are the all-copper Barnes 115s, which have a good rep if loaded by them or I guess Corbon....also the Critical Defense that everyone loves which is only sold in a 115gr FTX and does fair also.

Note again this is based on one test with gelatin. It's a useful experiment but it can't replicate real world performance and neither can the FBI. You don't know how a round will perform against a given attacker/scenario until you actually take the shot. I hope I never have to find out how my stuff performs but I still want to carry ammo that's both tested in the lab and proven out in the wild.

One more note on my last point then I'll shut up. I noted some decent performance, esp with penetration depth, from the new Sig V-crowns and just looking at the data they seem to be a good choice. Yet I'm not currently aware of any departments carrying them and the track record on the street is basically non-existent....thus I'm not rushing down to BPS to pay 29.99 for 20 rds of V-Crown to carry right away just because it's got a pretty box, the Sig name and an impressive bunch of technical data.

LEOs are the ones who really have to rely on this stuff. They are the ones shooting actual people (and dogs...couldn't resist) with it and seeing the effectiveness first hand. I'm not them and I damn sure don't want to shoot anyone but I really believe that they've got a handle on what works and I want to carry what they do.

Last edited:
...LEOs are the ones who really have to rely on this stuff. They are the ones shooting actual people (and dogs...couldn't resist) with it and seeing the effectiveness first hand. I'm not them and I damn sure don't want to shoot anyone but I really believe that they've got a handle on what works and I want to carry what they do.

You may be surprised to find out that some LEOs carry the ammo their department got the best deal on and that it has less than you think to do with performance. It's all about budgeting. You shouldn't be so quick to run out and buy a product just because the cops are using it.

You have the luxury of researching and making any decision you want. They do not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing like a good OP bashing with a bit of wit thrown in to remind me of Scrivener...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An excellent point! Plus they usually arent picking their handgun with hours of care and research either.

Plus the guys who REALLY have to rely on terminal performance, our military, are shooting ball out of both rifle and pistol. It is indeed a luxury...take care out there all.

Last edited:
Then always aim an inch to the right....

2157f2d5a9e47953761835a3a430cde7--shooting-targets-shooting-guns.jpg

I really wanted to post the one that gives a hilarious, albeit mean analysis...

Funny story. I just watched Lethal Weapon 1 last week. The noises the guns make are so 1980s. BLAM BLAM BLAM. Like a 338 Lapua.

Skip to 2:00

[video=youtube_share;gmHVnwCbJfk]http://youtu.be/gmHVnwCbJfk?t=2m[/video]
When you watch him and Glover at the range Gibson can't get over eye flinching while Glover looks like he's been shooting for years.

this one?
flinching.jpg

That's one. There are a ton of others, some with rather colorful language LOL

I once gave a speech to a group of moonbats showing them with real targets, a stick with a sling and form demonstration, walking them through safe handling, shooting technique and target analysis.

I declined to mention that the targets showing bad form were my own...

One of the Battier ones told me afterward that although she still hated guns on principle, she had a new appreciation that at least some of us gun people weren't blood thirsty murderers. I took that as a win for us.

Last edited:
OP - my advice is the same as everyone else.. to practice more. Conventional wisdom suggests if you are right handed and your shots are hitting low and left, you are jerking the trigger. It is also the most common complaint among right handed shooters.

But, if I were you, and live in NH, I would just get a different carry gun. I shoot a fair amount and in general, put bullets where I want them to go, but have never shot Glocks well. Yeah I know that if I really wanted to buy one, I would get used to it and train enough to keep rounds in the middle , but I hate Glocks. I hate the grip angle, hate the trigger just hate them in general.
I would get a nice shoulder rig and carry a 1911 with a couple of spare magazines. To me a 1911 just points so naturally, that in a high stress, rapid draw situation, I am very confident I can hit center mass. 5" barrels are so forgiving and the grip angle just works for me.

I usually carry Hornady Critical Duty in my carry guns but also like Speer Gold Dots, but would not be opposed to other brands. The last thing I consider is what a jury thinks about my ammo choice. I figure if I had to draw and fire, the alternative would have been myself or a loved one would probably be dead, so I no more give a rats ass what someone thinks about my ammo.

Big guns are in most cases just easier to shoot. I carry a Sig 229 about 60% of the year. When it is real hot and I have to pocket carry, I carry a Kahr PM9 and an always surprised how accurate and easy to shoot it is.

Veering back on track... I find it interesting that so many folks use Hornady CRitical Defense or Critical Duty. Sure, they do a lot of nice advertising, and the cartridges tend to test well. But is there any record in actual shootings?

The long track record of Speer Gold Dots is what caused me to choose that round. And, heaven forbid I have to shoot somebody, if the prosecutor asks me why I carry "killer hollow point ammo" I figure I can say "I just chose what the NYPD uses, cuz I figure they know what they're doing."

Veering back on track... I find it interesting that so many folks use Hornady CRitical Defense or Critical Duty. Sure, they do a lot of nice advertising, and the cartridges tend to test well. But is there any record in actual shootings?

The long track record of Speer Gold Dots is what caused me to choose that round. And, heaven forbid I have to shoot somebody, if the prosecutor asks me why I carry "killer hollow point ammo" I figure I can say "I just chose what the NYPD uses, cuz I figure they know what they're doing."

Hornady is always in the shelves of every store around. I just went to the Speer website and did a little reading. I think I'll pick some up. Looks like they sort of specialize in short barrels.

Last edited:
I figured that if I ever do have to shoot somebody, I know my aim is gonna be ever worse. So what I would do is unload the whole clip, (I'm so used to calling a magazine a clip), and at least ONE round should hit em'. I think the rounds I'm carrying in my .380 would probably take the suckers arm off! "Oof Faa"!

Curtis Jackson aka 50 cent was shot 9 times at point blank range with a 9mm handgun and he us still alive and well. Your .380 is sub par cimpared to a 9mm.

Curtis Jackson aka 50 cent was shot 9 times at point blank range with a 9mm handgun and he us still alive and well. Your .380 is sub par cimpared to a 9mm.

He was some kind of rapper or something? Could he have been high at the time? Is he unusually large? Was the shooter drunk/high or an expert marksman?

It's not like Duke Nuke 'Em, where you just keep grinding down the demon's power level while you hunt for power-up packs. There are a lot more variables than caliber. Wasn't the KGB fond of the .22 for assassinations? Or was that just Clancy fancy?

To save money, I use rounds I find in the bucket that is kept at my clubs range. I figure that is what other people are shooting, so they must be good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom