When You Carry, What Kind Of Rounds Do You Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My problem is I carry the .380, and I have a hard time with my aim. I have it for about a year. It always hits left. At the range, I aim to the right and then hit center.

You need to have other people shoot the gun - if everyone shoots to the left you either have 1) friends that can't shoot well either or 2) sights that are off-centered. Replace or adjust sights and you might be all set.

Good old 119gr ball ammo. It's not the bullet, it's what you hit with it.
Really?? Ive seen you post a lot and I'm not sure if you're kidding or not because you're usually very knowledgable. If you really do carry ball, why that over jhp?

Conventional wisdom around these parts suggest ball zips right through bad guys without leaving much damage.

I carry a very small Glock .380. At the range, my shots always hit to the left. I carry the .380 because it's hidden so easy. I know we can just carry it out for everyone to see, but I feel weird doing that....so it's the .380.

My question is, since that handgun is hard to aim straight (for me) cause of it's small barrel, I use these. Even if you hit a dirtbag in the arm with one of these, I think that should stop him.

Do any of you use other rounds beside plain lead?

DGYXimt.jpg

Let me get this right. Because you can't aim a gun well you opted for ammo designed to penetrate walls and the like? Just want to make sure your misses have the best chance of killing someone sleeping in their bed? [rolleyes] If you can't reasonably expect to be able to hit your target, you need to leave the gun home until you train more.

To answer your question, Hornady critical defense or critical duty, depending on the gun I'm carrying.

.380 - Ball
.38 special - Lead wadcutter or semi-wadcutter
357, 9mm, 40, 45 - some type of JHP
no RIP, I wouldn't want to even own a box

- - - Updated - - -

if you're not hitting what you aim at, you need to adjust the sights

I'm going to get a lot of shit for this, but I use cheap Independence 9mm JHP.

It works will all my guns, and doesn't "jump the crimp" with my LCR. I've researched as much as I could about Independence and it turns out it's good enough.

For me, I prefer a quantity of 9mm for SHTF and training purposes. When I become a millionaire, I'll step up to Hornady or Federal.

Really?? Ive seen you post a lot and I'm not sure if you're kidding or not because you're usually very knowledgable. If you really do carry ball, why that over jhp?

Conventional wisdom around these parts suggest ball zips right through bad guys without leaving much damage.

100% serious. I only shoot what I train with.

Also I want maximum penetration in case the person I'm trying to shoot is behind something, like a windshield or door.

Across the board of calibers and bullet weights (excepting .380, which is kind of a crapshoot anyway) the HST is far more consistent than even the Gold Dot and WAY ahead of the rounds marketed as "self defense" ammo. By that I mean Critical Defense/Duty, PDX, Remington Ultimate Defense, etc. which perform in a range from 'decent' to 'absolute garbage'.
What? I have no issues carrying Critical Defense/Duty (I always forget which one I have) in 9mm.

I use plinking ammo with microstamping and Punisher logo. 380 is a badass round.

Who are all of you people and what have you done with the people who usually make up the NES???

These were borderline troll questions!

You guys usually go off topic and ridicule even real, honest, in depth threads.

And yet everyone has been respectful and treating the OP seriously.

Is it Aprils Fools?

Did I miss a memo?

Seriously!!

WTF?

Yeah. I was waiting for the ridicule at the choice of RIP and the general level or proficiency.

Maybe they are all smoking pot and listening to peter paul and mary.

Let me get this right. Because you can't aim a gun well you opted for ammo designed to penetrate walls and the like? Just want to make sure your misses have the best chance of killing someone sleeping in their bed? [rolleyes] If you can't reasonably expect to be able to hit your target, you need to leave the gun home until you train more.
I've been shooting this and my 9 at the range for about a year. I only have a problem with the .380.
Your answer tells me why so many people told me I need thick skin here.

If you need thicker skin to deal with honesty then you have bigger problems, honestly.

Know your target and what's beyond.

Heard that one? It's in the top four for a reason. You are responsible for every round you fire. I don't just mean legally I mean morally. Your life isn't worth any more than any other. The same simple fact that justifies you shooting someone trying to take your life, is precisely the same reason you should be as responsible as possible when defending it. One of the major reasons to carry HP ammo is to stop over penetration. So you don't endanger people completely un-involved in the situation.

The FBI standard for ballistics penetration is 16in. How many people do you know with arms bigger than 16in in diameter? Do you honestly think that RIP ammo is going to do any more damage to a persons arm than a HP round that opens up and leaves a much, much higher percentage of energy behind in the target? Hydro-static shock is the major damage factor, along with the tumbling of the round once it opens up. The only thing RIP ammo is more dangerous to in that situation is everything but your target. It is designed to over penetrate. Self defense rounds are designed to control penetration.

What you asked was the equivalent of saying, "I can't shoot for shit. So I carry a 10 in. 44 mag. just in case I get lucky enough to wig'em." I say that speaking to the responsibility, or lack there of, in that mindset. If you can't hit with that particular gun yet. Then leave it home and carry the one you can hit with. That's just common sense. Anything else is completely irresponsible, especially since you have another option.

Don't take it personally. This isn't about being mean it's about reality. Admittedly I do tend to use sarcasm, a lot. Usually to point out a failure of logic I see as painfully obvious. Hey, I come from the days of tough love. [laugh] Rest assured I would have said the same to anyone else here. Regardless of post count or the number of green bubbles in the DB meter.

There aren't to many situations in life where something as simple as moving you finger an inch can result in people dying. Oh and, not for nothing, but before you rely on an arm hit to take someone out of the fight. Please, please, please go watch some of the vids on youtube of cops putting mags into a target and them still standing.

If you need thicker skin to deal with honesty then you have bigger problems, honestly.

Know your target and what's beyond.

Heard that one? It's in the top four for a reason. You are responsible for every round you fire. I don't just mean legally I mean morally. Your life isn't worth any more than any other. The same simple fact that justifies you shooting someone trying to take your life, is precisely the same reason you should be as responsible as possible when defending it. One of the major reasons to carry HP ammo is to stop over penetration. So you don't endanger people completely un-involved in the situation.

The FBI standard for ballistics penetration is 16in. How many people do you know with arms bigger than 16in in diameter? Do you honestly think that RIP ammo is going to do any more damage to a persons arm than a HP round that opens up and leaves a much, much higher percentage of energy behind in the target? Hydro-static shock is the major damage factor, along with the tumbling of the round once it opens up. The only thing RIP ammo is more dangerous to in that situation is everything but your target. It is designed to over penetrate. Self defense rounds are designed to control penetration.

What you asked was the equivalent of saying, "I can't shoot for shit. So I carry a 10 in. 44 mag. just in case I get lucky enough to wig'em." I say that speaking to the responsibility, or lack there of, in that mindset. If you can't hit with that particular gun yet. Then leave it home and carry the one you can hit with. That's just common sense. Anything else is completely irresponsible, especially since you have another option.

Don't take it personally. This isn't about being mean it's about reality. Admittedly I do tend to use sarcasm, a lot. Usually to point out a failure of logic I see as painfully obvious. Hey, I come from the days of tough love. [laugh] Rest assured I would have said the same to anyone else here. Regardless of post count or the number of green bubbles in the DB meter.

There aren't to many situations in life where something as simple as moving you finger an inch can result in people dying. Oh and, not for nothing, but before you rely on an arm hit to take someone out of the fight. Please, please, please go watch some of the vids on youtube of cops putting mags into a target and them still standing.

Or even fighting back and almost killing a officer. I remember ways back. A naked man in harbor shop high on PCP was shot like 30 times and still had enough in him to fight and do serious damage to one officer....
I'm not so thrilled with the small gun craze. I can't draw these compact guns well and have them pointing correctly from a "quick" draw. I have short fat'ish fingers and find a wide grip to be easier to grab and point naturally.
That for me is a 4013tsw double stack ....yes it's 40. Although it was not chosen because of 40. The gun just fits well and draws well for me. If it was a 9 or 45 I tried that day it still would have come home.

It's not the arrow, it's the Indian.
Practice with the ammo you carry; if a semi auto make sure it feeds reliably and is manageable. Revolver; make sure the recoil and flash are manageable.
Practice some more.
Use good defensive commercial ammo similar to what an LEO would use. Avoid the DRT, RIP, Zombie Killer type branding.
Keep a box of the ammo you carry at home in storage. I used to write the date on the inside flap of the box as to what gun I loaded it into on what date. This proves it's good, commercially available SD ammo, not the super killy, jacketed explosive armor piercing stuff you'll be accused of using.
Practice some more including movement, reloading, and hitting your target.

Last edited:
I figured that if I ever do have to shoot somebody, I know my aim is gonna be ever worse. So what I would do is unload the whole clip, (I'm so used to calling a magazine a clip), and at least ONE round should hit em'. I think the rounds I'm carrying in my .380 would probably take the suckers arm off! "Oof Faa"!

Right. And all the rest will hit some innocent civilian?

OK, so you all trashed me from morning until night. WTF?! All I wanted to know is if any of you use different rounds when you carry? I usually use Federal at the range. But I want R.I.P. for carrying. That's just me, so just answer my question like adults. I'm not a friggin idiot like you guys are making me out to be. None of you even know me....this really sucks!!! I'm only here for 2 days and you guys are running me off the board. Is that what you want? If you do I F'ing leave. I don't need this crap from you people! I came here thinking I found a bunch of guys who I could talk guns with, but all I'm getting is dam crap! Don't you think it's enough already?

OK, so you all trashed me from morning until night. WTF?! All I wanted to know is if any of you use different rounds when you carry? I usually use Federal at the range. But I want R.I.P. for carrying. That's just me, so just answer my question like adults. I'm not a friggin idiot like you guys are making me out to be. None of you even know me....this really sucks!!! I'm only here for 2 days and you guys are running me off the board. Is that what you want? If you do I F'ing leave. I don't need this crap from you people! I came here thinking I found a bunch of guys who I could talk guns with, but all I'm getting is dam crap! Don't you think it's enough already?

Let's see:

-Registered in July and has 46 posts.
-Repeatedly refers to magazines as "clips."
-Thinks doing a mag dump with no regard to where the rounds are going is a safe and acceptable defensive tactic.
-Continues to shoot down members' suggestions as to what kind of defensive ammo to use, and wants to use "RIP" ammo cause it has a cool name.
-Throws a hissy fit when called out on the above.

I'm thinking anti-2A troll or an AG spook. Don't let the door hit ya the way out! [wave]

Last edited:
We're trying to teach you something because you carry bad ammo and you do it for all the wrong reasons. If you can't take criticism like an adult, see you later.

Another example of what passes for a man these days. ****ing millennials... [banghead]

So what? We all should have compromised our integrity? Maybe we should have taken you on a nice windy walk by the water. Held you hand and softly told you, "Don't worry little snowflake. It will all be ok. We'll blindly support your choices in life. No matter how completely moronic, irresponsible and potentially deadly they may be." [rolleyes]

What you got were honest answers to your question. Clearly that was too much for your delicate sensibilities to handle. Guess what junior. You're going to be wrong about things in life, frequently. That's just life. If you come to a place like this that specializes in a discipline many/most of us have been practicing for decades, you're going to realize that you don't know shit. That realization is the first step to shutting your mouth and opening you ears. or eyes in this case, and actually learning something.

If all you are looking for is a bunch of people that will just agree with you and coddle you...

I truly hope you never have to use a gun to defend yourself. For the sake of anyone within a mile of you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look, I'm sorry if I got mad. It was just like you guys ganged up on me. I'm 61 years old and have a disabled wife at home. I came here hoping I could make some friends. We're all into guns and I thought we could talk guns. But come on, you guys could have given me answers without the name calling. I'm too old to go there. I should be green soon and I'm not going anywhere. Let's all talk cool to each other....that's all I ask, OK?

Again, sorry if I flew off the handle. But you gotta admit. I took a beating here. I just hope it's over.

Suck it up. It happens to everyone.

Oh, and all my ammo is dipped in bacon grease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom