When You Carry, What Kind Of Rounds Do You Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so you all trashed me from morning until night. WTF?! All I wanted to know is if any of you use different rounds when you carry? I usually use Federal at the range. But I want R.I.P. for carrying. That's just me, so just answer my question like adults. I'm not a friggin idiot like you guys are making me out to be. None of you even know me....this really sucks!!! I'm only here for 2 days and you guys are running me off the board. Is that what you want? If you do I F'ing leave. I don't need this crap from you people! I came here thinking I found a bunch of guys who I could talk guns with, but all I'm getting is dam crap! Don't you think it's enough already?

There is A LOT of experience and wisdom on this forum, even though it may not always get delivered in the 'nicest' way. Instead of getting all defensive, try to learn as much as you can so that you can help someone else down the road. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Shit....I'm no troll man! I'm a member of the Belmont Firearms Range (if they open after that incident), I'm also a lifetime member of the NRA. I came here looking for some guys like me that are into guns, hoping we could discuss guns, that's all.

What? I have no issues carrying Critical Defense/Duty (I always forget which one I have) in 9mm.

Certainly your choice and I don't know that I'd call it a bad round but it's not a top performer. Check out at the lucky gunner labs test I posted earlier and compare the photos and depths....the Critical Defense doesn't expand as much or penetrate as deeply as the HST or GDHP and some versions of the Critical Duty fail completely. The +p Critical Duty did expand (standard stuff had those silly plastic tips still stuck in/clogging the cavity) but not as much as HST/GD and with the same penetration.

Now as civilians we're unlikely to need the barrier performance and penetration as much as law enforcement is so the Critical Defense as tested is probably fine but I'd rather have the best available...plus the cost is way lower on the 50rd boxes that HST can be found in.

to keep it on track. Fiocchi Extrema XTP in my 380. HST in my 9,40,45 with a few spatterings of GD short barrel.

Last edited:
Shit....I'm no troll man! I'm a member of the Belmont Firearms Range (if they open after that incident), I'm also a lifetime member of the NRA. I came here looking for some guys like me that are into guns, hoping we could discuss guns, that's all.

NES'ers just trying to be outlandish and funny. Some good advice here and a decent and entertaining thread. stick around.

I switched to hornady critical duty from speer gold dot. My training has led me down a path looking for a bit more penetration vs expansion. (tho gold dot is still a great proven round)

with that being said, practice till you have blisters and keep going till they bleed. A high volume of ACCURATE fire with QUALITY defensive ammo will carry the day regardless of caliber.

practice, practice, practice.
every week i have someone come into the shop and leave their gun with me because "there must be something wrong with it". nope. if the sights are centered on the gun and not loose it will shoot straight. Anything else is shooter induced.
practice, practice, practice. train

to keep it on track. Fiocchi Extrema XTP in my 380. HST in my 9,40,45 with a few spatterings of GD short barrel.

+1 for the Fiocchi Extrema XTP in .380. It runs very reliably in my g42 and supposedly performs very well.

if the sights are centered on the gun and not loose it will shoot straight. Anything else is shooter induced
The front sight nearly fell off my gun a couple of years ago. I literally eye-balled the center of the slide, tightened it back on, and have been shooting matches with it - the gun is very accurate.

Stick around. If you learn half as much as I did on this forum, it will be well worth the extracurricular activities.

This thread.

Post #17. We warned you, and you heard it.

This is the culture of NES. I'm sorry you feel your feathers got ruffled, but I'm not surprised. I called it from the moment you used the word "clip;" never fails. But we've all gotten our peepees whacked here, most more than once. It's the nature of the beast.

Stick around. Soon enough, you'll see it happen to someone else.

Look, I'm sorry if I got mad. It was just like you guys ganged up on me. I'm 61 years old and have a disabled wife at home. I came here hoping I could make some friends. We're all into guns and I thought we could talk guns. But come on, you guys could have given me answers without the name calling. I'm too old to go there. I should be green soon and I'm not going anywhere. Let's all talk cool to each other....that's all I ask, OK?

Again, sorry if I flew off the handle. But you gotta admit. I took a beating here. I just hope it's over.

61 years old...Did you work at the makeup counter in Filene's or what??? Suck it up Suzy [smile]

No way. Has all the tell tale signs of a bored regular poster.

4kgRl_d.jpg

I use birdshot in my home defense shotgun so why switch when I'm carrying a pistol? Any bad guy will run away just at the sound of the slide on my 1911 being racked.

9mmshotshell3790cci-10-3-tray.jpg

I figured that if I ever do have to shoot somebody, I know my aim is gonna be ever worse. So what I would do is unload the whole clip, (I'm so used to calling a magazine a clip), and at least ONE round should hit em'. I think the rounds I'm carrying in my .380 would probably take the suckers arm off! "Oof Faa"!

image.jpg

I carry a very small Glock .380. At the range, my shots always hit to the left. I carry the .380 because it's hidden so easy. I know we can just carry it out for everyone to see, but I feel weird doing that....so it's the .380.

My question is, since that handgun is hard to aim straight (for me) cause of it's small barrel, I use these. Even if you hit a dirtbag in the arm with one of these, I think that should stop him.

Do any of you use other rounds beside plain lead?

DGYXimt.jpg

First off some 380's "even GLOCK's" can be ammo finicky.

So what ever you choose run plenty of it through your pistol, to confirm its reliability!

Stay away from that gimmicky crap!

You use that in a self defense situation and the DA is going to jam you up!

Stick to a dependable name brand hollowpoint... I.E. Hornady, Federal & Remington Golden Saber.

I use birdshot in my home defense shotgun so why switch when I'm carrying a pistol? Any bad guy will run away just at the sound of the slide on my 1911 being racked.

9mmshotshell3790cci-10-3-tray.jpg

I agree - birdshot can be devastating at close range - no so good for sniper work, though.

And when has the OP ever seen two gun guys not argue about the most trivial differences?

I carry Critical Defense in all my carry pistols. .380, 9mm, and .45.

Lol don't worry man. Us gun people gotta stick together. If you think this is tough, you should see the masscops.com forums. You can't breathe without them beating you to a pulp.

I agree - birdshot can be devastating at close range - no so good for sniper work, though.

And when has the OP ever seen two gun guys not argue about the most trivial differences?

#4 or #2 I've heard is better for lower wall penetration but still effective a little further out.

Wrong button man, you neg repped me with a "+1" comment [rofl] It's too early to internet. I know it's a mistake but I bet a lot of people would flip out - me, I just think it's hilarious.

Wrong button man, you neg repped me with a "+1" comment [rofl] It's too early to internet. I know it's a mistake but I bet a lot of people would flip out - me, I just think it's hilarious.

I guess that is agreeing to disagree

Lol don't worry man. Us gun people gotta stick together. If you think this is tough, you should see the masscops.com forums. You can't breathe without them beating you to a pulp.

I have that site on tapatalk and peek in once in a while.

I accidentally posted into a thread about a rogue cop (thought I was here!) that had tp'd someone's house, just with a wisecrack, nothing really cutting, and spent the next week checking my rear view mirror and staying under the speed limit.

JJR56, you need a thick skin around this joint. Everybody has a rigid opinion that conflicts with everyone else and everybody is always correct as long as it is oneself.

However, the place does have an astonishing amount of legal, political and practical experience to share once you get used to the rough edges and lack of lube.

There are get togethers, sometimes in a restaurant and sometimes at a range and hardly EVER result in gun fighting. Except that time in Natick, but the only LEO that witnessed it was one of the duelers.

There is a better thread for introducing yourself:

https://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/23011-New-Folks-Check-In-and-Say-Hi-4

Say hello there and shortly, a tiny Asian gal will greet you and make you feel at home. If you think I'm kidding, try it!

To the OP, This thread stayed more on topic and was more helpful than 98% of the the threads on pretty much any forum.

Practice more.

RIP is a joke, do not use it.

Watch the Shooting the Bull videos that were linked and see his final .380 list and use any of his top choices.

Never open this thread again.

Federal HST 147gr in 9mm. I bought a case of 1000 (well, I split it with another NES's) at a good price so I can practice with it and carry it. Got good reviews and at $400/1000 reasonably priced SD ammo.

I carry .45 so it depends where I am.
If in the woods with 4 legged rodents, I'm packing Buffalo Bore 255gr hard cast lead flat point
If in the cities with 2 legged rodents, I'm packing Federal Hydrashok 230gr JHP

The Buffalo Bore tech specs have a bit more oomph at 925-960fps but 45 is just big and slow..

100% serious. I only shoot what I train with.

Also I want maximum penetration in case the person I'm trying to shoot is behind something, like a windshield or door.
Same, ball in my .380 for the same reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom