• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

When You Carry, What Kind Of Rounds Do You Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I carry a very small Glock .380. At the range, my shots always hit to the left. I carry the .380 because it's hidden so easy. I know we can just carry it out for everyone to see, but I feel weird doing that....so it's the .380.

My question is, since that handgun is hard to aim straight (for me) cause of it's small barrel, I use these. Even if you hit a dirtbag in the arm with one of these, I think that should stop him.

Do any of you use other rounds beside plain lead?

DGYXimt.jpg

Sig 9MM, 115GR, Elite V-Crown, JHP for my 938 for now, and BuffaloBore lhpswc +P for my .38. I just took out the .38's last night and the solvents from cleaning tarnished the brass pretty good. Anyone polish or clean their carry loads occasionally?

Last edited:
I figured that if I ever do have to shoot somebody, I know my aim is gonna be ever worse. So what I would do is unload the whole clip, (I'm so used to calling a magazine a clip), and at least ONE round should hit em'. I think the rounds I'm carrying in my .380 would probably take the suckers arm off! "Oof Faa"!

golden saber .38+p

O.P. have a good long think about being in a courtroom after shooting someone while defending your life, and the prosecutor trying to get you convicted of manslaughter pulls out your box of ammo to show the jury.

I would just use a jacketed hollow point from a major manufacturer. The last thing that I would want is a prosecutor introducing as evidence ammunition named R.I.P. that was used if trying to bind me up for a defensive shooting.

(I'm so used to calling a magazine a clip)

Don't ever do that again.

[wink]

- - - Updated - - -

I would just use a jacketed hollow point from a major manufacturer. The last thing that I would want is a prosecutor introducing as evidence ammunition named R.I.P. that was used if trying to bind me up for a defensive shooting.

I've had really real shooters tell me the same about trigger mods.

I carry heat seeking, 30mm APIT rounds.

JK, I carry Hornady or Speer JHP in all my 9mm carry pistols.

I would also suggest practicing a lot more with your gun. We've found the G42 to be very accurate and easily shoot down 8" plates at about 25 feet. Spend your money on a set of decent night sights such as Ameriglo, and traditional JHP ammo and practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

op, there is a great paper written by Massad Ayoob iIrc, regarding how handguns actually stop people. I would strongly suggest you read it.

There are links to it on this forum. If it hasn't been posted by the time I get back to a real computer I'll try to find it for you.

Also, re-read posts 11 & 12, then go reread your posts and think about what a jury would think when your posts about recklessly blasting away a while "clip" hoping for one hit. You know you are responsible for ALL the rounds you shoot, not just the one that hits the bad guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used to carry critical defense but have since switched over to speer gold dot le because I got a great deal on a case of them [smile]. I do have a box of those RIPs in 9mm, they expand well into a 5 gal bucket but not sure how they work in reality. Make sure they feed OK in your gun, I can imagine they might not work flawlessly in all models.

Even if you hit a dirtbag in the arm with one of these, I think that should stop him.

I wouldn't count on a one shot stop regardless of caliber and ammo brand.

Look up Dr.Gary Roberts's articles on terminal ballistics and effectiveness of different brands of ammo.

I wouldn't count on a one shot stop regardless of caliber and ammo brand.

Look up Dr.Gary Roberts's articles on terminal ballistics and effectiveness of different brands of ammo.

I'll look up Dr. Gary Roberts's articles on terminal ballistics. But don't you think a round like the one I'm carrying would separate into 1/2 dozen fragments and do some real damage? I can't imagine getting hit in like the shoulder with that and not having my arm taken off. That would make you stop and think twice!

Separating into 1/2 dozen fragments will also result in a rapid lose of energy. That isn't a good thing aside from preventing over penetration.

...Even if you hit a dirtbag in the arm with one of these, I think that should stop him.

Do any of you use other rounds beside plain lead?

I would rather hit someone dead middle of the chest with "plain lead", than any part of the arm with one of them salad spinners...

I would rather hit someone dead middle of the chest with "plain lead", than any part of the arm with one of them salad spinners...

My problem is I carry the .380, and I have a hard time with my aim. I have it for about a year. It always hits left. At the range, I aim to the right and then hit center. But in a real situation, I know my adrenaline will be pumping and my aim is gonna suck. What do you suggest I get to carry in that gun? I love it because it's so comfortable to carry. I don't wanna sell it. My Springfield 9mm...that sucker I can shoot the balls off a rabbit at 25 yards, but it feels bulky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom