What year did you start shooting?

I had to dig around in my computer and found a picture of that Marlin.
I think this is Christmas 1971 which would make me 8 years old.

View attachment 515622

My first Gun was my Cap Gun. I think this is Christmas 1965.
My first Gun, my first Lion and my first Cardboard Play House.
How presumptuous of my parents not to consider I may be Cross Dominant.

View attachment 515624
Real cool pics.

..... 1968, m14, 1911, grenandes, 50 cal., M16, M79 greneade launcher/blooper, M60.
In '86 it was the M16A2, the Ma Duece, ( saw a guy take half his thumb off with the bolt, then had to clean the gun ) M79, M60 and the M249 SAW.
We really were not crazy about the SAW when it first came out. The Pig was tried and true. She never let you down and sent big boolits down range. But the SAW quickly showed it's place. High rate of fire and easier to lug around. One guy could really handle it without the need for an "assistant gunner"
Got to fire a full auto M14 one time. That gun never should have been full auto.

My daughter's best friend asked me to teach her how to shoot today. She has always been pretty far to the left, but recently bought a small house, is single, and is worried about home defense. Funny how that happens, eh?

Any way, she asked me, when did you start shooting? My dad started me in 1976 with a Marlin Model 60. I was 8 years old. We had a Daisy air rifle prior to that, but the Model 60 was my first real rifle.
So 45 years ago. Damn. That made me feel old.
My dad also started my sister and I with a Marlin Model 60. I'd have to guess we were about 5 or 6 years old. So I'd guess around 1993 or so.

1972 BB guns at Catholic Boys Day Camp, cousins had a pellet gun. 1985 got FID card to shoot friend's .22, someone had to buy the ammo. Father was against firearms after serving in WW2, said you want guns go in the service.
2015 Work friend asked me to go shooting one day, .45 and 9mm. 2016 got LTC and now own 4 handguns. Have instructed two friends on how to shoot.

BB and 22 with my brother in about 1980, I was 13. Got my FID when I was 15 and got my own 22 and when 16 bought my first 12ga. So ~41 years ago to start shooting, 39 years ago with my own gun.

Back
Top Bottom