What year did you start shooting?

fencer

NES Member
My daughter's best friend asked me to teach her how to shoot today. She has always been pretty far to the left, but recently bought a small house, is single, and is worried about home defense. Funny how that happens, eh?

Any way, she asked me, when did you start shooting? My dad started me in 1976 with a Marlin Model 60. I was 8 years old. We had a Daisy air rifle prior to that, but the Model 60 was my first real rifle.
So 45 years ago. Damn. That made me feel old.

1992(ish) if BB guns count? If not...probably somewhere around 2010-2011.

My dad is kind of a sissy and wouldn’t let me shoot his 22 when I was a kid because it was ‘too powerful’ for me.

so, at the ripe age of 28, I joined the Marine Corps so I could learn how to shoot. My roommate at the time took me to the range before hand on a few occasions just to make sure I had the basic principles down (he let me shoot his 22!)

Last edited:
2020 ltc
Newblet here

Before that..... I think around 95-98.
Got my fid whenever that was.
Partipated in some form of weekly shooting at my local range.
Then stopped. Cant recall why.

1973. Stevens Springfield .22 semi-auto rifle. The rifle was made before serial numbers were required. I still have it. It looks and shoots great. My father brought me to the range just North of Worcester off 190. The rifle was super popular at the time. It had a nickname that was very common. The problem is I don’t remember it? It was something like the The Clickety clacker?

Anyone remember what it was—-?

Don't know; I was about six or seven, so approximately 1997 or 1998. Bought my first gun of my own at 18 in 2010.

Started in boy scouts in the early 1980s. 22s of course but we had a rifle instructor back then that was a great guy. He used to run boybscout rifle training at haverhill gun club on weekends. We'd all show up to shoot the 22s for an hour or so and when we were through with the scouting training session he'd pack up the 22s and announce loudly "the boy scout training is officially over.....if anyone wants to stick around and shoot some other rifles ON YOUR OWN TIME stay here and I'll be right back". Then he'd go to his truck and get the m1 carbines m1 garands and 1903 Springfield. Loved that guy. Can't remember his name.

1965 at OCSA Pembroke Ma. I was 6 yrs. old. Shot my Dads Browning Humpback (with his help) trying to hit low 7 targets on the skeet field. Many years during my youth I would load targets in the houses and sometimes even pull targets for the "Old Guys" and pick up hulls. Just so I could get the chance to shoot a couple of shells at the end of the day. In the winter time we would shovel out the skeet field and keep the "Shack" warm by keeping the pot belly stove going making coffee and hot chocolate. I was around 8 or 9 when Dad taught me to reload shells for him so he could practice. Been reloading ever since. Some where I have 8mm film of a Christmas party at OCSA from 1965. Good days back then Good days indeed.

Thanks Dad

I took the safety course in 2009 or so and shot a .22 then but it was a few years before I applied for a license. The Sandy Hook shooting happened while I was waiting for my LTC, so i bought my first gun in early 2013.

1980 or so, age 13. My moms friend had a place in Conway. We went to visit and they had a couple 22 rifles. All the kids were shooting cans in the yard. Mom took a few shots, loved it, went to service merchandise right after we got home and I had my first ruger 10-22.
It's still going strong after 10s of thousands of rounds. Every new shooter I take to the range shoots that rifle first.

Edit for date, I realized I am not over 900 years old. Although, I sometimes feel like I am.

Last edited:
It was mid to late seventies for me with a beet up 22 and air rifles.
Harvested my first wild boar in 82 - not by myself though.
After that was everything else of what com-block had to offer.

Before I can answer I have to ask, for NES research purposes, is she guilty?

Airguns for a while.

First real gun at a range... I think around 2005-7.

1080 or so, age 13. My moms friend had a place in Conway. We went to visit and they had a couple 22 rifles. All the kids were shooting cans in the yard. Mom took a few shots, loved it, went to service merchandise right after we got home and I had my first ruger 10-22.
It's still going strong after 10s of thousands of rounds. Every new shooter I take to the range shoots that rifle first.

I don't think OP meant to ask when Anglo-Saxon kids were shooting longbows under the oversight of their beneficent Norman overlords.

1962, daisy bb gun, then various pellet guns until about 68, then we'd go sandpit shooting wit an old savage .22 semi auto rifle and a high standard HD .22 pistol. (still have it). Got my FID as soon as i was old enough, then my Pistol Permit in 74, been into guns ever since.......

1977 ...I needed Gym credits at U Lowell for my degree, I took BOWLING and Skeet Shooting

we shot at some field in Dracut, we had to police the area after we were done so if the farmer let the cows into the field they would not get injured by broken clays.

I didn't get into handguns until the early 80's

Back
Top Bottom