• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What would you do?

Would you stop and help?

• Yes

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • No

Votes: 28 82.4%
  • Anyway just started blasting

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters
I was sitting in the left-turn lane on Memorial Drive in Chicopee when I noticed a person at the driver's door of the first car in line (about 4 cars ahead of me). She had a bottle of something in her hand and appeared to be asking for a ride.

I was thinking of this sort of scenario when the woman in the car ahead of me let her get in her car.

Not trying to judge but the woman kinda looked like potential trouble.

Maybe she really needed a ride, maybe something else. Just how do you make the decision these days?

No. You open yourself up to many accusations and trouble. If the woman is attractive, she may accuse you of something or be a trap for someone to come out of the woods and rob you.

It's unfortunate, but that's the reality of the world.

Someone already has a gun trained on you and you decide to draw? That's how you get got. Then again, when you're already being marched into the forest at gunpoint, might as well give it a shot. I estimate a 10-25% chance of survival to shoot back vs 0%.

Carry a decoy wallet with a couple empty prepaid debits cards, gift cards etc, and stuff it with some movie prop bills - 14 Piece Replica Money Set-US Currency | eBay

Tell the perp your wallet is in this pocket and you're slowly reaching for it to drop to the ground, take whatever you want, step away from it and when he/she/it opens it up and starts to inspect the loot, quickly dump your whole mag into he/she/it. Pistol rounds are weak and you really want to drop the bad guy's blood pressure ASAP before he/she/it has a chance to aim at you. This guy probably didn't create a smart diversion, RIP.

Depends how attractive the stranded motorist is and that requirement would increase if I don’t have a passenger as backup.

After looking up the suspect’s name, I would’ve kept driving.
This happened to me a long time ago. She was a young beautiful girl with long blond hair on the side of the road trying to flag someone down for help? As I backed up my car to get closer, I saw her boyfriend/spouse come out of the woods in my mirrors. It was either a very thoughtful ploy to get someone to stop to help or one to set up and rob. I obviously chose the latter and left before either one of them could get close to my car!

Someone already has a gun trained on you and you decide to draw? That's how you get got. Then again, when you're already being marched into the forest at gunpoint, might as well give it a shot. I estimate a 10-25% chance of survival to shoot back vs 0%.
Fwiw he got two in her before he expired

Carry a decoy wallet with a couple empty prepaid debits cards, gift cards etc, and stuff it with some movie prop bills - 14 Piece Replica Money Set-US Currency | eBay

Tell the perp your wallet is in this pocket and you're slowly reaching for it to drop to the ground, take whatever you want, step away from it and when he/she/it opens it up and starts to inspect the loot, quickly dump your whole mag into he/she/it. Pistol rounds are weak and you really want to drop the bad guy's blood pressure ASAP before he/she/it has a chance to aim at you. This guy probably didn't create a smart diversion, RIP.

The survival numbers are abysmally low when you are taken somewhere at gun or knifepoint. If they’re taking you somewhere they’re likely a process predator (want to do something to you) vs a resource predator (want to take something from you).

In general, you’re better off complying if they have a gun drawn on you and want your wallet, etc. Give them what they’re after and you’ll most likely survive the encounter. The moment they try and take you somewhere, all bets are off, you need to fight for your life with everything you got. In that kind of scenario IMO you’d be better off knowing how to do a standard gun disarm rather than drawing on them and trying to shoot it out (assuming their gun is within arm’s reach of you). You'd even be better off making a run for it and screaming your head off than drawing on them w/ a gun pointed at you (you can always draw when you’re in a little safer position or have disarmed them).

I wouldn’t stop to help a single stranded female, or any other person for that matter. I might stop at a safe distance and call for help and wait & observe but a lone woman wanting me to help? Nah bruh. In fact, in self-defense training they teach you (women in particular) to stay in their car and not to engage strangers who stop to help, they say to tell them you have already called for help and they’re on their way and expected imminently. If you’re a stranded and carrying, the gun better be easily accessible if someone stops to help.

I sometimes watch YouTube videos. One of them was emphasizing a "Wait your turn" rule--showed a clip of a young guy who was able to slip his pistol out of its holster, but then keep it down low until he had a clean opportunity to drop the bad guy.

From a risk perspective, someone walking up to you and saying they’re stranded and need help is different than happening upon someone who looks like they might be having trouble and offering help IMO. I’ll help the latter, but I’ve worked in the city for too many years to ever trust the former.

I’d have a hard time stopping for much of anything. I ain’t no popo.
Yeah, but we've all got the popo on speed dial these days.

I'd slow down, snap a picture, yell "I'm calling 911", and drive off.

Depending on how I felt that day (and whether I could describe the location), might even actually call. And if this were a situation like in Florida, knowing her picture is out there might be enough to save the life of the next motorist she flags down.
Y! said:
“When the couple attempted to assist Hider, she produced a gun and made the couple walk back into the woods.”
The survival numbers are abysmally low when you are taken somewhere at gun or knifepoint. If they’re taking you somewhere they’re likely a process predator (want to do something to you) ...The moment they try and take you somewhere, all bets are off, you need to fight for your life with everything you got. In that kind of scenario IMO you’d be better off knowing how to do a standard gun disarm rather than drawing on them and trying to shoot it out (assuming their gun is within arm’s reach of you). You'd even be better off making a run for it and screaming your head off than drawing on them w/ a gun pointed at you (you can always draw when you’re in a little safer position or have disarmed them).
In that specific scenario, you are armed and traveling with your (1 year too young to get a CHL in Florida) girlfriend, that's a tough situation.

Run off screaming and you know that relationship is over, even if she survives.

Run off screaming and you know that relationship is over, even if she survives.
I was speaking generally but maybe you’re right, it’s better off getting killed than losing face in front of your girlfriend who you might have been able to save if you [both?] made a run for it.

I was speaking generally but maybe you’re right, it’s better off getting killed than losing face in front of your girlfriend who you might have been able to save if you [both?] made a run for it.
Not clear that their relationship had progressed to the point of advance planning for hypotheticals.

"Okay, so if there's one visible assailant with a handgun, you break right, get cover between you and the gun, all while screaming like a banshee, and I'll loop around, backshoot the visible assailant, and then re-asses for additional perps". And after all that, up pops a freaking five-year-old with a shotgun?

never ever ever go to a secondary location.

Years ago on my way to work at 6am, I saw a hot chick hitching and picked her up. Asked where she was heading and she said home, 4-5 miles away. all of a sudden I noticed that she wasn’t wearing shoes and it was fall. I asked about this and she said she was mugged and molested the night before and was walking home (they took her shoes). it was a little unnerving as I drove her to her parents house. She didn’t want to go to the police so I just dropped her off and hoped for the best.

Years ago on my way to work at 6am, I saw a hot chick hitching and picked her up. Asked where she was heading and she said home, 4-5 miles away. all of a sudden I noticed that she wasn’t wearing shoes and it was fall. I asked about this and she said she was mugged and molested the night before and was walking home (they took her shoes). it was a little unnerving as I drove her to her parents house. She didn’t want to go to the police so I just dropped her off and hoped for the best.
There’s a version of that where the boyfriend comes lunging out of the ditch with a shotgun

I was sitting in the left-turn lane on Memorial Drive in Chicopee when I noticed a person at the driver's door of the first car in line (about 4 cars ahead of me). She had a bottle of something in her hand and appeared to be asking for a ride.

I was thinking of this sort of scenario when the woman in the car ahead of me let her get in her car.

Not trying to judge but the woman kinda looked like potential trouble.

Maybe she really needed a ride, maybe something else. Just how do you make the decision these days?
its easy, you just don't.

I’m not waiting for someone to pull the trigger if they’re already pointing a gun at me. There may be a couple schools of thought on this but the way I see it, the best chance I have to fight back and win is before I’m already shot. And I’m not going to be waiting around hoping that this crack head bitch doesn’t shoot.

Sometimes you’re in a situation that you’re most likely not getting out of. But you still have to do something important. That’s how I see what happened to this kid. He did a hell of a job given what he was dealt, and his girl at least has her life.

Back
Top Bottom