• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What revolvers use moon clips?

dans

NES Member
I was deep in thought about my S&W 327 TRR8 revolver today. I love that gun. It fits my hand, shoots well, recoil is lower than a lot of other guns I've shot in larger calibers. The one thing I am not understanding is the moon clips. I've tried them but always go back to directly loading the cartridges into the cylinder. No big deal it is still on of my favorite guns.

What I was really wondering was how may, or rather what, other revolvers have the capability of using moon clips? I tried looking on the S&W (et al) web site, but there didn't seem to be a way to divine that info directly. Anybody have info on what brands/models use them? Are they popular?

Any Ruger revolver in auto calibers 9mm/45 ACP can use them. Some like the 9mm don't require them to function with that ammo, others need the clip or the casing won't sit properly in the chamber. Gemni Customs and a few other shops will mill out cylinders to accept moon clips. They are advantageous in fast reloading and ejection as they are less fussy than most speedloaders.

You might also like the articles on the RevolverGuy.Com - One Man's Enthusiasm for Guns With Rotating Cylinders blog if you're a wheelgun fan.

The SW 1917 later named the the 55 I think.
At some point they invented the 45 auto rim cartridge to do away with moon clips. 45acp in a revolver was a after fart design

The SW 1917 later named the the 55 I think.
At some point they invented the 45 auto rim cartridge to do away with moon clips. 45acp in a revolver was a after fart design

Yep, my 1917 is a definite moon clip handgun. Also, a S&W 625 in 45acp needs to use moon clips as well. You'll also find that most Webley Mk VI are cut for 45acp. If you use 45acp you need moon clips. As mac1911 indicated you can use 45 auto rim successfully with this handgun.

TK Custom can cut pretty much any double action revolver to use moon clips. They said they could even cut my Schofield to shoot .45acp.

The M1917 (Colt and Smith) were expedients, as there were not enough 1911s.

You do not need a half-moon clip to fire them, only to eject them, easily. If you want a quick reload, you want clips (both for six out at once, and not having to load individual rounds).

What about the 10mm Smith & Wesson? Model 610? Where this is an auto cartridge is this another revolver that uses a "moon clip"?

S&W 627, 625, 929

Moonclips are great. The key is to buy a bunch of them. Load them at home, shoot them on the range, demoon and remoon at home. I've got ~100 clips from Supplies for the Revolver Enthusiast for my 627's. 45 clips work with all different ammo but 38/357 are brass specific since the rim dimensions aren't specified on the SAAMI drawings. The revolver supply 0.025" nickel ones work perfectly in Federal and RP (Remington brass). The BMT (BMT Equipped, Inc.) moon clip tools are expensive but worth it (at least for the 627)

What about the 10mm Smith & Wesson? Model 610? Where this is an auto cartridge is this another revolver that uses a "moon clip"?

Yes, uses moon clips. Also you can shoot 40 S&W if you want something with less kick that's a little cheaper.

Thanks for your reply, John C. I came up with another gun that uses moon-clips. Webley MKVII (I think?) revolver, 45acp. My brother has this gun. He was using moon clips until he found 45 AUTO RIM so it can be used with moon-clips.

Thanks for your reply, John C. I came up with another gun that uses moon-clips. Webley MKVII (I think?) revolver, 45acp. My brother has this gun. He was using moon clips until he found 45 AUTO RIM so it can be used with moon-clips.

NO. No. A thousand times no.

Webleys use moon clips only if an importer shaved the cylinder face during the fifties. They weren’t designed to use moons and they aren’t built for it. They are chambered in .455 Webley, not .45 ACP.

Will the shaved Webleys fire .45 ACP in clips? Sure. Until the pressure blows out the side of the cylinder, having already rattled all the moving parts. So if your brother wants to use his, he needs to load his ACP or AR brass down to .455 specs. Meaning a heavy, hollow-based bullet over a fairly weak charge moving around 700 fps.

And it’s a Webley Mk VI, probably.

OP, the “real” answer is “any revolver that fires rimless ammo and wants to extract properly.”

The judge and governor differ in that the governor is milled for moon clips and can shoot 45acp while the judge cannot (.410 and 45 long Colt only).

DO NOT FIRE A WEBLEY with full power .45ACP. They aren't rated for that pressure and will eventually ka-boom on you!

Back
Top Bottom