• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What kind of animals could this be?

I know it sounds crazy but I have seen domestic cats fighting make these kinds of noises. Very distirbing to hear your cat make a sceaming noise.

jersey devil.

If you see this, shoot first, questions never:
quote-of-the-day-snooki-of-jersey-shore-remembers-her-time-behind-bars.jpg

Look at the horror that lurks in the darkness!

Snookie want smoosh smoosh!

tumblr_laiqg8QviW1qa0jlno1_500.jpg

Pass they eye bleach please.

Ive heard the same thing in the woods behind our house in middle of the night. Makes your hair stand up on back of the neck.... Definately 3-5 animals moving together through the woods. My thought is coyotes or fox for sure. Hunting or mating, but its a creepy sound...!

Heard blood curdling screeches around my house. Thought it must be a fishercat.

This spring I heard it real early in the a.m.

Looked out the window and saw a fox trotting along in the area the sound came from. Watched a little longer, and actually say it make the "screech" noise.

I was at a friend's house last year, sleeping over the night before an Appleseed Shoot, and at about two AM, through the open window I wake up to hear what sounds like the damned shrieking. I remember thinking to myself that it must be coyotes (this was out past Greenfield) and that I shouldn't have left my AR in the car. And fall back asleep.

At about 4:30, I hear howling and remember thinking that it sounded more like what I thought coyotes ought to sound like. I remember thinking that I shouldn't have locked my Model 19 up even if this WAS in MA. And fall back asleep.

At about 6:30, I wake up and hear what sounds like the LOUDEST parakeets I've ever heard, and they're right outside the window. And I remember Eric telling me that they didn't have any feathered pets any more (he's got an empty bird cage in his living room) and I start thinking "Great! Just what I need... giant zombie parakeets outside between me and my AR15!"

And I look outside and see about a dozen [STRIKE=.]giant zombie parakeets[/STRIKE] big birds running around that look kinda like the cartoon partridge that was in the opening credits of The Partridge Family.

Now I know what guinea fowl sound and look like! [laugh] (Yes, Dennis... I am a city boy, I'm afraid.)

was worrying i'd get to the end of the thread without a doobie reference. would have been severly disappointed.

Doobie is highly amused when I tell him about the references. I mentioned it to him at his wedding last month.

It really sounds like you are describing a pack of coyotes. When they find a catch or something otherwise alarms them, they make the most freakish sounds I ever hear in the woods. It does not at all sound like barking, yipping or howling. The first time I heard it up close was when camping in the woods by myself miles from anyone, and they were about 100 feet away at 3am... woke me right up and scared the crap out of me.

As I said, there were at least 5-6 animals involved, so it couldn't have been a single rabbit, or a lone fischer cat. From my best guess it happened across the street in between two neighbor houses. I'm sure it scared the hell out of them too.

ETA: I listened to the fisher cat sounds you guys linked, it wasn't like that. It was higher pitched, screaming and crying like half a dozen animals in agony.
It was continuous for close to a minute, no lapse in the noise.

Coyotes killing something.

Random side note: Im in my car in school and there is someone staring at my NES sticker and writing something. It's some fat girl, not a cop. I guess my Windows are too dark and she doesn't know I am in here.

Last edited:
If it sounded like someone stepping on a baby it was probably a fisher cat. I have also heard some nasty noises come out of a opossum.

ETA: Did it leave tracks like this oo...Oo...ooo....Oo...oo

Last edited:
Shoulda popped out and asked her if she needed the VIN and a donut.

When I was done typing, I saw her walking away, so I stepped out and asked her if she wanted to see my license too. She tried to play stupid, so I told her that I saw her taking a look at my NES sticker and gun stickers and that she smelled like an anti, then I told her to mind her own business, if she is looking for terrorists they won't have NRA and NES stickers on their cars.

She called me a Dick. I laughed and walked away, I was running late for a test.

Probably just drove away a potential new member.

I vote fox or coyote. Fisher cat is like a 50's movie of a woman being accosted, only worse.

Back
Top Bottom