What kind of animals could this be?

wheelgun

NES Member
Last night I was awoken around 2:30AM. There was a horrible noise outside, I'd guess about 40-50 yards away. It was a chorus of what sounded like 5-6 animals. They were screaming or crying in a blood curdling manner, very loud. This went on for about a minute, then it just stopped. It was so disturbing that it took me at least half an hour to fall back to sleep. I know I wasn't dreaming because I was so shaken up I popped open my Gun Vault just in case, and it was still open in the morning. It was a very disturbing kind of sound.

We have numerous deer in the area, and I know there are coyotes around (but I've never seen any). It certainly was not a pack of dogs.... there was no barking or howling, just this ungodly screaming/crying. Tonight when I went out to get the mail I was armed.... sounds a bit ridiculous but you had to have heard it to appreciate it. The only sound I can think of that comes close is the scene in the movie "The Thing" where the creature attacks the dogs in their pen.

Any ideas what it could have been?

Last night I was awoken around 2:30AM. There was a horrible noise outside, I'd guess about 40-50 yards away. It was a chorus of what sounded like 5-6 animals. They were screaming or crying in a blood curdling manner, very loud. This went on for about a minute, then it just stopped. It was so disturbing that it took me at least half an hour to fall back to sleep. I know I wasn't dreaming because I was so shaken up I popped open my Gun Vault just in case, and it was still open in the morning. It was a very disturbing kind of sound.

We have numerous deer in the area, and I know there are coyotes around (but I've never seen any). It certainly was not a pack of dogs.... there was no barking or howling, just this ungodly screaming/crying. Tonight when I went out to get the mail I was armed.... sounds a bit ridiculous but you had to have heard it to appreciate it. The only sound I can think of that comes close is the scene in the movie "The Thing" where the creature attacks the dogs in their pen.

Any ideas what it could have been?

I heard a screaming sound once.It was like nothing Ive ever heard while out with my dog.We came in close contact with a Coyote at the same moment.I later found out that what I heard was most likely a rabbit being torn apart by coyotes.Apparently they scream when being killed.

As I said, there were at least 5-6 animals involved, so it couldn't have been a single rabbit, or a lone fischer cat. From my best guess it happened across the street in between two neighbor houses. I'm sure it scared the hell out of them too.

ETA: I listened to the fisher cat sounds you guys linked, it wasn't like that. It was higher pitched, screaming and crying like half a dozen animals in agony.
It was continuous for close to a minute, no lapse in the noise.

Last edited:
I had a fox on the woodline behind my house make an ungodly racket one night.
I've seen foxes around occasionally, but in this case there would have to have been at least 5-6 of them. The only animals in this area that travel in packs to my knowledge are deer and coyotes. (I rule out dogs because it certainly wasn't that.)

Could deer make such noise?

Fisher or fox, maybe more than one or a tussle with some yotes.

My sister in law got to listen to some coyotes tear apart a turkey about a month ago, which might have had young with it, just on the other side of her fence in the middle of the night.

I'd put my money on a couple of raccoons fighting. First time I heard this I thought the gates of hell had opened and demons were coming over for a late night snack.

I'd put my money on a couple of raccoons fighting. First time I heard this I thought the gates of hell had opened and demons were coming over for a late night snack.

Yeah, I've heard raccoons fighting too (we have at least 1-2 that come around regularly) and it's pretty bad. But what I heard last night was way beyond that, and completely different. It wouldn't bother me so much if I just knew what is was. At this point I wouldn't rule out demons [devil]. Better break out my silver bullets in case they come back tonight [smile]

Im pretty sure ive heard these noises before. Words cant really describe it besides blood curdling. And its atleast five animals everytime all making the noise so it cant be the sound of a single animal being ripped apart. Ive searched everywhere on the web and never been able to find anything similar. I was with people around a fire and we heard it 50 feet into the tree line. Scared everyone most froze but once one person ran it caused a mass effort to escape the woods. We heard it again on three seperate occasions. I camp in the logging areas in northern Maine and never heard these sounds. Its like a bunch of animals simultaniously getting thier hearts ripped out, screeching as loud as they can while drowning in thier blood. It was a minute or two duration everytime.

jersey devil.

If you see this, shoot first, questions never:
quote-of-the-day-snooki-of-jersey-shore-remembers-her-time-behind-bars.jpg

Look at the horror that lurks in the darkness!

We had the same noise and I assumed it was a fisher cat. But then someone sent me a video of a red fox and I knew immediately that I had found the culprit. It sounds like a small child screaming bloody murder.

Back
Top Bottom