What is "snappier" in your hand?

I've shot both the PM9 and the 642.

What you will notice first when firing each one is "Wow... this gun is SNAPPY".

The second thing you will notice is whether or not you hit paper with any of your rounds [smile]

After 5 shots out of the 642 (or any J Frame) my first thought is always "F... this gun is snappy." Then I look at my target and say... "Eh... 2 out of 5 on paper @ 21 feet ain't bad." [thinking] [sad2]

After 6/7 shots out of the PM9 my first thought was "F... this gun is snappy." Then I look at my target and see that all rounds are on paper... making roughly a 6 inch group at 21 feet. [grin]

So FOR ME... both are snappy as balls... but if I were to have to use either one in a defensive situation... I know I can put rounds on target with the PM9. Not so much with the 642.

Like everyone has suggested... it's best to have her try both out.

PaulD was generous enough to let me try out his PM9. Shoot him a PM and I'm sure he'd be glad to let you and the Mrs. try it out at Mass Rifle Association or Harvard Sportsman Club (which I believe he's switching to next month?).

And Paul, since I'm "volunteering" your PM9 [smile] I'd be glad to meet you guys at the range, hang out... and clean the PM9 afterward for you [grin]

I just saw this post but I'm happy to let anyone try out the PM9 and yes, I'm done at MRA.

Also, Hanwei, you can try my AR and clean that afterwards too.[smile]

As another poster stated, the Kahr MK9 is a far better choice here (given that your wife likes the fit of the PM9). The key is weight. You seem to be focused on some of the lightest weight guns available. If recoil and muzzle snap is an issue, they can be easily reduced by a heavier gun. Going from 14 ounces to 22 ounces will make a substantial improvement in that respect. And a 22 ounce gun is still very light as far as being comfortable to carry. Just stay away from the extremely light guns for novices or recoil sensitive people.

I agree. Maybe go with a MK9 instead of a PMK9, or just go with the K9 period. P=polymer=lighter
M=micro=smaller=lighter

Good luck, let us know how you make out.

As others have suggested, it is a personal decision that she'll have to make. I've got a S&W 642, Kahr K9, MK9, and PM9. If you would like to set up a range session in MetroWest for her to try mine, send me a PM. Personally, I prefer the PM9 over the 642, due to its better sights, faster reloading, and smaller size. Both the 642 and PM9 are pretty snappy and neither is what I would choose for a fun afternoon of target shooting.

How is she going to be carrying it? Both the 642 and PM9 are designed for pocket carry. If she is going to carry in a purse or in a belt holster, then she could probably get away with a larger, heavier gun that has less recoil and a longer sight radius.

Last edited:
I've posted up here before, my wife hated the recoil of the S&W 637 she had. She's really comfortable with M&P9 she has now. She's not an avid shooter, but knows how to get the job done. As others have said, it really is personal preference.

She ended up with a S&W 432PD. I took it to the range and fired about 50 .32 S&W LR's through it and I have to say, I enjoyed it. Very little recoil with that round. I plan to pick up some .32 Magnum hp's for her to practice with and carry. I know those will hit harder but based on a lot of recommendations and first hand experience, I think it'll be fine. It fits her hand perfectly and I think she's going to really enjoy shooting it which she can't do for a few more weeks since she is due to give birth to our daughter any day.

Thanks for all the offers, now I just need to find some place with .32 Mag in stock or I'll have to learn to reload.

As far as the MP9, I have one and she shoots it real well but it's just too big for her to conceal. She'll be carrying this IWB so the tiny little J frame was perfect. In the end, I figured the PM9 and the 642 would be to tough for her to put shots where she wanted quickly.

I've learned NEVER to make assumptions about which guns certain people will like or shoot well. All you can do it put as many guns in their hands as you can (preferably loaded, at a range) and let them decide for themselves. Fortunately, there are plenty of amazing people on this forum who are happy to facilitate that.

Case in point, my ex was Japanese with tiny hands, and she loved the 92FS - who'd have thought a gun that big would fit in her hands?

Likewise, I just took my stepmother shooting for the first time. After warming her up on a .22, then a full sized .38 I moved her down to a Model 60. I'd just gotten the gun a week before and I couldn't hit sh*t with it, but she put all 5 shots in a six inch ring at 30 feet her first try. Go figure.

+1

J frames are easy to shoot if the overwhelming majority of your trigger time is with DA revolvers or if you come from a semi auto background but understand the different grip required.

If you don't know that, the J frame will kick your butt.

And on a side note, Jose, I took your advice on this thread, in particular about moving the trigger from the pad to the joint of my finger, and OH MY GOD what a difference! My groups went from 2 of 5 on the paper to sub 4 inches instantly. Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom