What do YOU prefer?

After "lurking" for some time and finally "signing up", I have come to respect the opinions and am getting an idea of the personalities of many people in the forum, most of whom think the same way I do. (Lynne, Pilgrim, Mark056, C-pher, Matt and many others) Anyway, thanks for being friends. Here's my most recent thought: What is the best option for CC: 6 rounds of .357 (S&W 686) 8 rounds of .45 (1911) 12 rounds of .40 (Sig 229) or 17 rounds of 9mm (G17)? Add some detail to your answer to make things interesting. Also feel free to suggest an alternative to the above choices.

The best for CC is the gun that you shoot the best.. period.

One round that goes where you want it is better than 6,8,14 or more that don't go where they're supposed to.

That being said,I carry my SW CS45 because I shoot it the best and it's a .45.

I'd rather shoot a .45 well than a .38 well. Although a .357 shot well would be good too!

Is that interesting enough?

BTW, welcome !!!!!

The best for CC is the gun that you shoot the best.. period.

One round that goes where you want it is better than 6,8,14 or more that don't go where they're supposed to.

That being said,I carry my SW CS5 because I shoot it the best and it's a .45.

I'd rather shoot a .45 well than a .38 well. Although a .357 shot well would be good too!

Is that interesting enough?

BTW, welcome !!!!!

WHAT HE SAID!!!!

Personally, I prefer the 40S&W. If you take a look at the thread in General Discussion about the differences, and you do some research online you will find that a 40S&W is just about as effective as a 45ACP. You also get the higher round capacity.

However, like Pilgrim said, if you shoot a 9mm perfect every time, but you cannot control the recoil of a 40S&W to make effective follow-up shots, the 9mm is the only logical decision for you.

Adam

The most important part is having a comfortable gun (otherwise you won't carry it) that you can shoot well (need to hit your target) and conceals easily. COL Jeff Cooper says that bullet placement is more important than stopping power. I agree, better to hit it with a 22, than miss it with a 44 Mag.

My CCW gun is a Glock 19. I bought it for my wife originally, but she doesn't like shooting it. I would've bought the G23, but the G19 was used, and came with 2 hi-cap mags (during the Federal Ban), for the same price as what a G23 would cost me new, my price with a 10 round mag.

I have other guns, including a 1911A1. I just don't shoot it well, but, have NO problems with a Glock or Beretta M9 (92FS, military).

Also keep in mind how the gun fits your hand and how it sits on the body. Not knowing if you actually own the guns listed, or just looking at them, I figure mentioning that fit is important was worth saying.

No 17 shot pistol will work if you can't get a real good grip on it fast. This is why I can't carry any double stack autos. I can't quickly just grab it and go. They are all just a wee too large for my hands.

As for fit on the body, it's always easier to get a small gun comfy than a big one.

I carry a SIG 239 in .40. I have 8 rounds in the gun. That small magazine is not ideal, but everything else about the gun works well for me. I can hide it easily in several different places. I can draw and point and the sights naturally come up close to perfect. I just carry spare mags and practice doing reloads. Can't think of too many situations where 22 shots isn't enough. (8+7+7)

Just some things to keep in mind.

But yes, go with the gun that YOU can make the most effective on demand. Nothing but nothing beats a good hit.

Listed those guns specifically because they are in my collection.
I agree with you guys that you should carry: #1 what you shoot well,
#2 what you are comfortable with and #3 what you CAN carry conveniently. I should have added the line "all else being equal" what would you prefer, assuming the logistical aspects of carry are the same for all rounds and quantities mentioned.

I actually have a few guns that I carry. Now that the Para Warthog is avail for sale that will make its way as my primary carry gun specifically because I am MOST familiar with 1911 pistols and I shoot them better than anything else and have more trust in a 1911 than anything else. I know the single action trigger may not be best for a carry situation and I am well aware of this. However, this is the best gun for ME. I also carry an SW99 compact in .40 S&W which is a decent gun but will be replaced with the 1911. I also carry an S&W 642 airweight revolver in .38 special. This gun is not accurate and I don't shoot it very well at all. I do practice with it and it is not enjoyable to shoot AT ALL... Many may ask then why would I bother carrying such a gun? Well the answer is simple. In my line of work it is the easiest gun to conceal and not have to hassle with all day long. I simply wear it in my pocket with a pocket holster and almost forget it is there. The main reason I choose to carry this gun is I know it will always go "bang" and not jam and the fact that I will carry it all the time. Many times it is a pain to carry an auto because of the size so I carry this back up gun. It is better to have a gun that shoots OK that you'll always carry than have one that shoots great sitting at home in the safe.

Pete

A .22 in your pocket beats a .45 in your safe. The important questions are 1) can you comfortably carry it, and 2) can you shoot it accurately.

Recently I'd gone over to the dark side and was carrying a Glock 23. It's relatively large for me to conceal well, but I liked the capacity -- I've got two pre-ban drop-free Glock 22 mags. Last weekend I took it to the range to get some practice, along with my aluminum-framed Kimber Compact. I wasn't doing that well with the Glock 23. I was hitting the target, but at 50 feet my group was probably 6 inches. Not great.

Took out the Kimber Compact and immediately noticed significant recoil and muzzle jump from the 185gr +P JHP I was shooting. I also noticed that my group was down to 3" or so. Guess it's time to change back to the 1911...

Chances are that you will never need to use the gun you are carrying concealed. If you do, it's far more important that you have a gun than which gun you are carrying.

Currently 7 rounds of .380

Like most have said already. Chose one you are comfortable practicing with and you can shoot well. Also, you want something that you can comfortably conceal and carry. Everyones lifestyle and body type will cause this to be different. If I showed up here in the morning with my P99 in an IWB it would be a problem, for multiple reasons.

CD

Whatever you will actually carry is the key. I have several pistols and
my favorite for ccw is a CS45, but I find myself always tossing my new
Seecamp 32 into my pocket because it's just so darned handy. I'd prefer to
be more disciplined and always take the 45, but it's a cinch to grab the 32.
Beats the 45 left at home...

F

Well...since my mag carries 15 rounds ( :D ), I go with the 40, with one in the chute. However my S&W 9mm also has large caps mags. So, my first choice is the .40, then the 9. I would carry the .357 that hubby owns (with a couple speed loaders), but it's a touch too big for me to get my hand around it comfortably.

My criteria differs somewhat from that of others. I try to emcompass the big picture.

1) Function, reliabilty and simplicity.

2) Capacity

3) Caliber

4) Accuracy

There is a myriad of modern firearms today that are more than adequate in function and reliabilty. The simpler to operate, the less to fumble with when you turn all thumbs.

There is no 'magic man-stopper' calibers out there so that issue is moot. As long as the caliber and load meet the latest acceptable penetration tables which segways into a more important factor - capacity.

IMHO there is no substitute for capacity in the given acceptable caliber ranges - more is better. It just does not make sense to carry 7 rounds when I have the option to carry 15.

Accuracy is much more about the shooter than the firearm. I don't buy into the "shoot what you're comfortable with" adage except as that pertains to recoil and control. Pratice will make you comfortable with any configuration. However, I've shot .45's that had no more recoil than my Glock 19 and I've shot a Warthog that absolutely punished the palm of my hand in one magazine.

Someone said it's more important to have a firearm than what type. I disagree. It is dangerous to have a false sense of security. You had better have the right equipment with the most possible ammo if and when that one time ever comes that you need to defend your life. Anyone who's ever been in that situation, whether they've had to drop the hammer or not, has a much better insight on what constitutes the proper equipment.

What is the best option for CC:

My vote goes for the pistol/revolver which you can shoot best and carry best. This will differ for everyone. Just about all of the choices which you listed would do the job.

Currently I carry a Glock 26, but this may change when I finally get a Glock 36. I would prefer the .45ACP myself.

Try different guns and see what do seem to do best with, then concentrate on that one.

TonyD: I think we all agree that more is better. I'd love to be able to carry a double-stack 45 and 2 reloads. Problem is, I can't conceal it and it's too heavy for me to carry every day. My P14-45 does me no good sitting in the safe...

M1911 said:
TonyD: I think we all agree that more is better. I'd love to be able to carry a double-stack 45 and 2 reloads. Problem is, I can't conceal it and it's too heavy for me to carry every day. My P14-45 does me no good sitting in the safe...

So, what is keeping you from carrying a double-stack .40, .357 sig, or 9mm? Why can't you conceal it? It's no bigger than my USP 9.

My point is you should not get caught up in a particular caliber or style of firearm. There are more important factors to consider when choosing a front line defensive firearm. I understand, and acknowledge, there are times that dictate your only choice may be a back-up gun. However, that's exactly what it is. I stand by my point that there is no substitute for capacity within the acceptable calibers. What you choose to do doesn't affect me, only your life and the lives you guard.

I weigh in on topics drawing from my knowledge, training and experience. Some hold that in higher regards than others.

I've got a double-stack .40 -- a Glock 23. I find that I shoot a Kimber Compact much better and the Kimber Compact is easier for me to conceal.

Many times I just can't get away with a cover garment. So then I'm down to a Kahr MK9. Is it ideal? No. But it's better than a pointed stick.

I weigh in on topics drawing from my knowledge, training and experience.
As are we all.

M1911 said:
I've got a double-stack .40 -- a Glock 23. I find that I shoot a Kimber Compact much better and the Kimber Compact is easier for me to conceal.

Many times I just can't get away with a cover garment. So then I'm down to a Kahr MK9. Is it ideal? No. But it's better than a pointed stick.

I weigh in on topics drawing from my knowledge, training and experience.
As are we all.

Shooting better with your Kimber than your Glock is probably just an issue of training / practice. I was never a fan of Glocks until I applied the criteria I mentioned above and finally procurred my Glock 19 (roughly ten years ago). At the time, I was still doing a lot of training / tutoring for HRT guys so most of my work was with my USP 9. Obviously the 19 conceals much easier than the USP (I carried the USP in a thigh holster for that type training). I tried to find any logical reason not to spend the time becoming proficient with the Glock, but, in the end, there was none.

Today's market offers a lot more choices in compact high-cap. handguns within the acceptable calibers.

One big, fat, honkin' vote for a S&W Airweight snub revolver. Slip it in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster, put a couple of speedstrips with four rounds each in your other pocket, and you are ready for most anything.

TonyD said:
My criteria differs somewhat from that of others. I try to emcompass the big picture.

2) Capacity

3) Caliber

4) Accuracy

There is a myriad of modern firearms today that are more than adequate in function and reliabilty. The simpler to operate, the less to fumble with when you turn all thumbs.

I agree

TonyD said:
There is no 'magic man-stopper' calibers out there so that issue is moot. As long as the caliber and load meet the latest acceptable penetration tables which segways into a more important factor - capacity.

I agree with this, too.

TonyD said:
IMHO there is no substitute for capacity in the given acceptable caliber ranges - more is better. It just does not make sense to carry 7 rounds when I have the option to carry 15.

Not everyone has the option of carrying double stacks.

TonyD said:
Accuracy is much more about the shooter than the firearm. I don't buy into the "shoot what you're comfortable with" adage except as that pertains to recoil and control. Pratice will make you comfortable with any configuration.

Here's where you and I part company. When I did one of the LFI courses, I watched a woman trying to shoot a Browning High Power. It had been her father's gun, and she was determined to shoot it.

However, it was just too big for her hands. She couldn't reach the trigger properly, and had to keep shifting her grip to manipulate the controls. She just couldn't shoot it well, and I don't think any amount of practice would have changed that fact.

Regards
John

Optimistic Paranoid said:
TonyD said:

2) Capacity

3) Caliber

4) Accuracy

I agree

TonyD said:

I agree with this, too.

TonyD said:

Not everyone has the option of carrying double stacks.

TonyD said:
Accuracy is much more about the shooter than the firearm. I don't buy into the "shoot what you're comfortable with" adage except as that pertains to recoil and control. Pratice will make you comfortable with any configuration.

Here's where you and I part company. When I did one of the LFI courses, I watched a woman trying to shoot a Browning High Power. It had been her father's gun, and she was determined to shoot it.

However, it was just too big for her hands. She couldn't reach the trigger properly, and had to keep shifting her grip to manipulate the controls. She just couldn't shoot it well, and I don't think any amount of practice would have changed that fact.

Regards
John

Which is why I stated in previous posts that the market is full of high-cap firearms in all shapes and sizes. I also stated "...with the exception of recoil and control..."

What I carry depends on the time of year, what I'm wearing, and where I'm going. Why, you might ask? Because in the summer you can't go wrong with an S&W airweight revolver. This is great because it fits in your short pocket without ever being detected. In winter or any other time of year I can wear more clothing I prefer my SW99 .40 S&W. It gives good firepower and a fair amount of ammo on tap.

To say you need to carry what you shoot best. I agree with that statement within reason. If concealment and comfort become a problem then carrying a certain firearm on a specific day is not an option. We also need to be realistic. If I had a choice of guns to carry it would be a race gun in .38 super with red dot sight and 26 round mags. This would prepare me for WWIII. However, this isn't an option and we need to be realistic. This is the main reason I often carry the S&W airweight.

It's easy to conceal, which means I'll always have it with me. It is quite harsh to shoot as recoil is pretty nasty. However, I practice with it and can shoot it better than I can throw a rock. Is it the perfect gun for a gun fight? HELL NO!!! Is it better than the alternative? You becha!!! Better than a knife? YEP!!!

Pete

Cross-X said:
One big, fat, honkin' vote for a S&W Airweight snub revolver. Slip it in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster, put a couple of speedstrips with four rounds each in your other pocket, and you are ready for most anything.

I agree with one exception. Why short yourself any ammo carrying capacity? Load your speed strips up to the 6-round total and you have a complete reload plus one.

TonyD,
I respectfully disagree, but if you *always* carry such a setup,
I really do admire your dedication. For me there are several factors that
come into play. First, this is Massachusetts. I must *never* print. If I
were still living in Florida I could be a bit more accomodating, but
I'm not losing my rights to own a gun for the rest of my tenure in this
state because my chief thinks I'm unsuitable because some cop saw
me print. Next, what do you do when you're half-way through making
dinner, realize that you need more butter, and have to run to the quickie
mart? Do you gear up with that heavy gun belt and the big-ol' double
stack? Not me. I know that I'm in a hurry and if the 32 makes it into my
pocket, so much the better. I don't consider it a false sense of security.
It's a mouse gun, a holdout gun, a last ditch gun.

Heck, if I was in an open carry state, I'd rather strap on a Glock 20, but
life being what it is, I need to work within the constraints of my life and
lifestyle.

F

GREAT thread. Excellent posts all. I think a balance must be struck between comfort (both carrying the weapon and using the weapon) and effectiveness. In a typical carry situation I'm leaning towards my S&W 6906-12 rounds of 9mm in a fairly compact package either IWB or OWB depending on attire and weather. I'm learning and getting a lot of great new ideas, though...

FPrice said:
Cross-X said:

I agree with one exception. Why short yourself any ammo carrying capacity? Load your speed strips up to the 6-round total and you have a complete reload plus one.

Take Michael DeBethencourt's Mastering the Defensive Snub Revolver and find out for yourself. [lol] Before taking his course, I had owned my snub Airweight for five years, and, while I occassionally would carry it concealed, I never thought all that much about it. Michael's course opened my eyes. Wow!

The short answer is that it is faster to reload four cartridges into a five-shot snub from a speedstrip than it would be to try to fumble thru loading five. If you don't believe limiting the speed strip to four will get you back into action faster, try it yourself with a shot timer and see!

My choice

My situation is similar to a few others, it depends on the weather and the clothing dictated by it. When I can, I will carry my Glock 23. It is my duty weapon and I have qualified with it. When the weather or setting does not allow for a jacket etc I'll go with my S&W 642 Airweight with Crimson Trace grips in a Renegade ankle holster. I endevour to carry all the time.

I practice live fire at the range and dry fire/drawing drills at home. I'm confident in my abilities with both. As with any gun I practice with, I also know my limitations with both (As Dirty Harry said, "A man has got to know his limitations [lol] ). Train to overcome limitations or, when thats not an option, train to tactically reduce those limitations 8) .

-Ted

Back
Top Bottom