mac1911

NES Member
So just a general idea what do you consider accurate for
BB guns
Pellet guns
22 pistols , rifles
Handguns any cal
Rifles any cal

You can use MOA, group sizes at X distance or what have you.
Interested in seeing what people think, expect or even what you might believe your gun/ammo of choice should do

For me when shooting a rifle I consider any a group that could be covered by a quarter at 100 yards or more is what I want to achieve accuracy wise. Anything less and there's more work to do.

With the lid down. As long as I hit anything but the floor.
With the lid up. Nothing on the floor and anything a few swipes with some tp won't fix!

Add a little alcohol to the mix and everywhere but on the ceiling is a good group![rofl2]

In the snow, I'm a god dam Picasso![coffee]

Last edited:
I would expect a heavy barreled production rifle to shoot near into an inch with factory and a half with handloads. True repeatable groups, not "I shot this .10 group once" once type of thing. Best I've done was a 700 VSS in 22/250 that would consistently do a 1/4. The ammo was expensive and time consuming to make though. I also think one needs to invest some dough into a rest and bag, and develop good technique to get any type of decent results.

Handguns? I don't really know. I've got one in particular that is just a real frickin lazer beam, it will quite literally tear the proverbial one ragged hole at reasonable handgun distances. Although I've shot it off a bag a fair amount to zero and recheck the C-more, I never really put much thought into group size. If you put the dot on something, and manage to keep it there while jerking the shit out of the trigger it will hit it.

With the lid down. As long as I hit anything but the floor.
With the lid up. Nothing on the floor and anything a few swipes with some tp won't fix!

Add a little alcohol to the mix and everywhere but on the ceiling is a good group![rofl2]

In the snow, I'm a god dam Picasso![coffee]
Laughing my ass off right now!!!

For competition I want a .22 auto pistol to hold 1/2" at 50 feet and an inch or so at 50 yards. Most of the available ones will with any decent ammo.

holding targets at armslength I get sub-MOA groups every time with handguns of all calibers. I have yet to hit the target at that distance with rifles though. However, I can hit the berm at will.

Semi auto, bolt action, machine gun, Gatling gun style...all sub MOA at 1000 yards.

BB, i’m happy if I can hit the neighbors cat from my office.
For competition I want a .22 auto pistol to hold 1/2" at 50 feet and an inch or so at 50 yards. Most of the available ones will with any decent ammo.
why would you expect your pistol/ammo to shoot better at 50 yards vs 50 feet ?

why would you expect your pistol/ammo to shoot better at 50 yards vs 50 feet ?
I wouldn't. I was giving a rough approximation of what is needed to hold the slow fire 10 ring in NRA bullseye without looking it up. 1/2" at 50 feet more closely equates to 1 1/2" at 50 yards.

For me when shooting a rifle I consider any a group that could be covered by a quarter at 100 yards or more is what I want to achieve accuracy wise. Anything less and there's more work to do.
Your talking scoped rifle correct?

In the snow, I'm a god dam Picasso!

BB guns (iron sight rifle) 3" @ 25yards
Pellet guns (iron sight rifle) 2" @ 30yards
22 pistols , rifles (iron sights) 2" @ 50/100yards
Handguns any cal (5" or less barrels) 3" @ 75yards
Rifles any cal (iron sights) 3" @ 200yards

Last edited:
img_0995-d0bad0bed0bfd0b8d18f-3.jpg

I might have to break out the red ryder .....3" at 25 yards is goingto be tough.

BB guns 1" groups at 7 yards
Pellet guns 1" groups at 15 yards with a scope
22 pistols , rifles 22 pistols no clue. Rifles ~1.1 MOA at 50 yards, scope.
Handguns any cal standard revolvers / semi's that will 'clean' a B-8 target (3.3" 10-ring at 25 yards).
'open class' handguns? Below 3/4 MOA at 100 yards with 7mm BR XP-100 pistol.
Rifles any cal Standard hunting rifle ~1-1/2 MOA at 100 yards
Match rifle scoped- 3/4 MOA
Milsurps iron sights- 100 yard groups below 2"

img_0995-d0bad0bed0bfd0b8d18f-3.jpg

That's some weird lbgt sh_it right there!
It's either Caitlin Jenner or Kim Kadashian?

I might have to break out the red ryder .....3" at 25 yards is goingto be tough.

Lol. It's not that hard with a sturdy benchrest.
Those numbers I posted aren't unsupported standing shots, mostly all from a seated bench and all from estimation/recollection.
A sniper I am not...

Lol. It's not that hard with a sturdy benchrest.
Those numbers I posted aren't unsupported standing shots, mostly all from a seated bench and all from estimation/recollection.
A sniper I am not...
So you remember what BB gun?
I do 90% of any “accuracy” testing from a lead sled or prone supported with sand bags.
Recently did a little test on the Daisy 853 with a old bushnell 4x scope
I was able to get 150 rounds down range from 50’ to 25 yards and averaged 2.31 MOA

So you remember what BB gun?
I do 90% of any “accuracy” testing from a lead sled or prone supported with sand bags.
Recently did a little test on the Daisy 853 with a old bushnell 4x scope
I was able to get 150 rounds down range from 50’ to 25 yards and averaged 2.31 MOA

I use a Gamo Varmint and Gamo BB pellets (lead, not steel BB) most of the time these days. Which is infrequently. The Daisy's and Crosman's are for my nephews when they visit.
Mac, don't hold me to those numbers. They are mostly from memory as I no longer shoot air/spring guns as much as I used to and stopped tracking results years ago.
~Matt

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom