• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do to your firearm today.

Target sights on my daughters Rascal

I DT'd receiver to install target sights on my daughters Rascal

Wow. That is great. My daughter has a Rascal also. Excuse my ignorance, but what is "DT". What was this process?

Were the sights more than the gun?

DT'd Drill and tap.... I had to drill and tap the receiver to mount the base the sight attaches to... large thumb screw attaches sight to base to allow removal.
The sight is a williams FP low target sight with the adjusting nobs. I had to use a older redfield base as the williams are to thin.
I still need to correct the front sight as it shoots 4" high now with the factory front sight. Working on that now but will be mounting a front target globe sight soon.

I didnt document my little DIY sight install but it was pretty easy considering my lack of a good holding fixture to do the drilling.

As for cost I bought several bases for about 10$ each as to be safe when or if I modify them to center the sight better. Right now there is enough windage adjustment to compensate and still have more.
The rear sight was 69$ the front globe sight will run from 30-60$ depending on manufacture and style.
The drill bits,taps ans screws( I bought a large set of assorted screws) ran another 75$
Its all worth it as my daughter is small for her age and I think she wont out grow this rifle for a good 3 years anyway. There is not much in the way of a "target" rifle for young small 6 yr olds. The iron sights on the rascal work well but as you know are a PITA to adjust on the fly. My daughter likes to change yardage when we shoot and she in her words "Im tired of donkey windage" thats what she thought I said when I explained Kentucky windage and hold overs to her. She picked up on holding over/under so well I though it only fair to give her adjustable sights. Dial it in for 25, 50 and maybe 100 yards mark the sight and off we go!

Now if I could just find a better stock ! Also my daughter has some vision problems and the aperture style sights help you dont need to "see" the rear sight just need to see through it/

Last edited:
Received my new Maryland Gun Works Sight Pusher for Glocks yesterday, so today I replaced the dead night sights on my Gen2 G17 with AmeriGlo Pro I-Dot night sights.

$_57.JPG

I like them so much I ordered a set for the G30 which also has dead factory night sights.

I give the Maryland Gun Works tool very high marks, it is a quality tool that is designed to work perfectly and last for a lifetime. If anyone intends on investing in a sight pusher tool, this be it.
MGW-309_1.jpg

Last edited:
Inspected a newly acquired M1 garand.
Peened gas cylinder splines, centered front sight, shimmed stock for better lock up
Next will be trigger job, possible new stock, refinish receiver.

Ordered a 20 LPI checkered mainspring housing, and an EGW magazine release for my 1911. Once those come in and are fitted, I'll be getting a can of Alumahyde II for the frame.

Oh, and cleaned it.

Last edited:
updated my spreadsheet of makes, models, sn, etc and double checked all of my stored weapons to be sure they were being properly stored. Found some minor issues and took care of them.

cleaning guns tomorrow.

Installed a cz85 trigger in my p01. My fingers are killing me because that trigger return spring is a bitch. Eventually made a slave pin out of a toothpick to make it work. Now I'm happy

shipwreck - DTOM

Put the finishing touches on my M1 trigger job. kept it a little heavy 4lbs 14oz. Didn't want to push the accuracy of my pull gauge. Match rule is 4lbs 8oz ....... next is metal refinish.

Finally got around to cleaning my Ruger Super Redhawk 44 mag. Cylinder and bore were getting pretty dirty from my hot 180 gr XTP loads. Going to try to disassemble and clean my M1 carbine and bolt for the first time tomorrow.

Replaced the internals on the hammer of my 10/22 with all volquartsen parts. Now I won't be able to try it out until at least weds.
I put the VQ target hammer in my 10/22 last week and hit the range on Saturday. My groups tightened up significantly. I'm very happy with the improvement.

Back
Top Bottom