What constitutes a “good” shotgun?

I’d like to get a nice home defense shotgun, pistol grip and rails and all but I’m seeing some really big price disparities.

I see some going for $200-$300 and others well into the $2000 range with Berettas.

So, based on price, what can I expect to get at different price points ajd what are are biggest disadvantages to going cheap?
20g 870 yourh model
20g 500 bantom model
Just the right size for HD
No dildo grips, cheese graters , or Xmass lights needed

other than that a good shotgun? Is subjective but those made by the B manufactures tend to be good shotguns

quick list for me.
If SHTF the 870 12g with 18” barrel is most likely the one thats coming along.
The browning OU for just about any hunting
The Browing Gold if I need semi auto
All of my shotguns are good ones
Even my stevens 311s

I'm a lefty and prefer doubles or mossys for their top tang safety. Can't go wrong with an 870 or 500 series IMO, they're proven beyond a doubt for decades. Tons of after market support to fit any need, inexpensive (notice I didn't say cheap)

Recoil.... Well, we all got our limits and preferences but being pragmatic, in an HD situation, your prolly not doing tactical rolls from the bedroom and speed reloads like 3 gun and expending 10-15 shells, most likely one, maybe two. We can chase our tail all day on scenarios and all but a good, dependable HD peice doesn't need to cost North of $500

My sone just bought his place, getting into guns, acquiring his own stuff. Recently he bought a really nice, well cared for, older 870 wingmaster, came with a fixed choke 32" trap barrel. At a local shop, they had a pile of barrels in a bucket. Picked up an 18" cyl barrel and a 26" imp mod barrel for $50/ea. I think he's well served with that combo.

Last edited:
I want to extend the question specifically about blue comp pro 1301.
I noticed they all seem to be showing a capacity of 2+1.
Same here:

Is there something different from a 5+1 comp 1301? Or is it a spacer? Is it removable?

Last edited:
Personal experience? I'm thinking about getting one to shoot clays (recreational) with cause I have no class.

For the record I shot a 12 with the tactical 1301 at a Georgetown Trap night…
Bought a A300 not long after though.

I want to extend the question specifically about blue comp pro 1301.
I noticed they all seem to be showing a capacity of 2+1.
Same here:

Is there something different from a 5+1 comp 1301? Or is it a spacer? Is it removable?
Most Berettas come with a spacer to fill the tube magazine to the European limit of 2+1 even the tactical. But it’s removable, and you could probably fit 4 or 5 +1 in most fo those tubes.
@sschevy can better explain than I would.

If you want an awesome all around gun, you could get the 1301 comp and buy the kick off system stock separate from Beretta that normally comes on the A400s for a little bit less.

If you want an awesome all around gun, you could get the 1301 comp and buy the kick off system stock separate from Beretta
I am curious specifically about that blue comp pro. May try it out, but, not sure if I will keep it. I did shoot an older comp that goes now for $1100 - it is solid, but, dunno. Just curious to compare it with this one, good to know it is a spacer. Thx!

I bought a Benelli SuperNova Tactical in a group buy here on NES back in 2010 or 11 - astoundingly good pump defense shotgun. Their rotary bolt system makes it very smooth to run, available with a pistol grip stock (although after shooting both I prefer their 'ComfortTech' stock for absorbing recoil from slugs). safety can be swapped to left hand, ghost ring sights are excellent, and not priced anything like Benelli's semi-autos. Shoots slugs very well. Mine is somewhere around 1k slug through it - no problems, no broken parts.

Down sides:
Fixed choke - It would be an excellent turkey gun as well, if it had removable chokes. This can be changed, but will need a trip to a smith.
Barrels - no aftermarket barrels, difficult to find Benelli barrels, and they're priced such that it makes more sense to get a second SuperNova than a second barrel.
Aftermarket - more limited availability. To put a rail for a red dot and a mag extension on mine was not cheap. At the time, Nordic Components. Not sure who's covering them now.
Availability - It wasn't common to see them before the past couple years record sales, and I'm betting they'd be tough to find now.

ETA: Reread OP's question, realized I dodged it. As you move up from the $200-300 mystery shotguns, what you're buying is workmanship, reliability and factory support. For a field gun where the worst case for a failure is a missed clay, or not having a tasty animal for dinner one of the cheap pumps is fine. For a home defense shotgun, reliability matters. At some point moving up the price scale, you start paying for features since reliability becomes common.
Carlson has extension tubes for the Nova/Supernova line now. They also fit the vast majority of the Turkish clones out there too. I have one on my Omega.

Here is what I’ve started using for a home defense shotgun:

Mossberg International SA-20 Railed - Pistol Grip
SA20.jpg
Loaded with Remington Ultimate Defense 20 Gauge, 2-3/4" #3 Buck 17 Pellets.

870 Express was, pre pandemic, the best bang for your buck and well under $300. Now Remington is between production runs and has changed owners, plus the prices were driven up by demand following the peaceful black 'n blackblock terror squads this past 15 months.

A Mossberg 500 will cost more, but be easier to find and is also a serviceable weapon, though the safety does not lend itself to any sort of pistol grip stock. They too are inflated.

Either way expect to pay.

Do not shy away from Chinese 870 clones or anything by Savage/Stevens. They are cheap guns but actually rather reliable, though long term you may be happier with a Rem or Mossy.

I would say avoid budget Turkish pumps... Many are utter garbage, and the more goof shit bolted to them, the weirder they tend to perform. The cockroach-made semis are hairy as well.

If you really want a higher end Mossy or Rem, Browning BPS, Beretta, Benelli, etc, they are worth the money in many senses, but for your purposes perhaps not.

If you want the best shotgun for home defense and are not worried about the price, it is the Benelli M4.
If you want the best reasonably priced shotgun for home defense it's either the Rem 870 or Mossberg 500-590

Common myth is that you don't have to aim a shotgun. That is a lie.
Before you buy a gun with no stock, try to shoot one first. They suck.

Don't buy a shotgun made in China; some of the Turkish ones are junk too (Tristar); or one with the brand-name Stoeger (awful quality control). The new Remington 870s rust terribly, I would not buy one made in the last ten years. I prefer the Mossberg 590 over the 500 because of the metal trigger housing.

A quality pump gun is like a Toyota. A Benelli or Beretta semi-auto is like a Mercedes AMG. They both get you where you want to go.

A good shotgun has a bayonet long enough to stab at least 3 people, can be bump fired, is not complicated and it works every time.

Therefore, you need a trench gun.

A good shotgun has a bayonet long enough to stab at least 3 people, can be bump fired, is not complicated and it works every time.

Therefore, you need a trench gun.
Which should you get first -
the trench gun,
or the trench?

I gotta admit:
unless the trench is on the reverse slope of a gentle berm
(or behind a stump fence),
it's probably a kind of an "out yourself" landscaping job.
@MGnoob

Last edited:
Which should you get first -
the trench gun,
or the trench?

I gotta admit:
unless the trench is on the reverse slope of a gentle berm
(or behind a stump fence),
it's probably a kind of "out yourself" form of landscaping.
@MGnoob
Use the trench gun to take yourself a trench.

Back
Top Bottom